hung at creating live filesystem and inserting modules

Post here if you are a new Porteus member and you're looking for some help.
mlhend2002
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: Zorin

hung at creating live filesystem and inserting modules

Post#1 by mlhend2002 » 31 Dec 2012, 19:01

Hello all,
first off, I have to say I am very impressed with Porteus 1.2 KDE speed, look and completness. One issue I am having is after installing and activating Gimp or any other Module and putting it in my usb directory Porteus\module directory, and restarting system, it hungs at creating live filesystem and inserting modules. I have waited for hours and it never completes. It is currently stuck at ilmbase-1.0. Besides reformating the drive and useing Unetbootin to recreate the USB drive with Porteus, do I have any other solution to revert it back? I'm in Always fresh boot login right now.

Thanks,

Mark

Hamza
Warlord
Warlord
Distribution: Porteus

Re: hung at creating live filesystem and inserting modules

Post#2 by Hamza » 31 Dec 2012, 19:05

Welcome on board!

Does the modules you moved on /modules folder are not corrupted? If you don't know, just check this by trying to activate them before reboot. In cases you can't reboot with these modules inside your modules folder. You can put them into optional folder which will give the power to load them when you want, read the instructions into cheatcodes.txt file present into /porteus folder.

Thanks!
NjVFQzY2Rg==

mlhend2002
White ninja
White ninja

Post#3 by mlhend2002 » 31 Dec 2012, 19:14

For example, after clicking on the link to download koffice, moving it from tmp folder to my usb porteus\modules and rebooting it hangs at creating live filesystem and inserting modules. Again, this happens with any module I put there. Once I remove the module and reboot, it boots fine. Any suggestions?

Thanks so much,

Mark

Hamza
Warlord
Warlord
Distribution: Porteus

Post#4 by Hamza » 31 Dec 2012, 19:20

Could you please test this module ?

Moves this module into modules folder and try to reboot and see if it's accepted. Also, don't forget to remove/moves the non-working modules.
NjVFQzY2Rg==

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#5 by brokenman » 31 Dec 2012, 20:06

Hi Mark, it sounds to me like corruption somewhere. What type of device are you booting Porteus from? Are you using a save file?

To be sure this is corruption please place the modules in your modules folder, then boot to always fresh mode. The modules should load and you should arrive at your desktop. If this is the case then you have something amiss in your changes file/folder.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

mlhend2002
White ninja
White ninja

Post#6 by mlhend2002 » 31 Dec 2012, 21:27

I am booting from a usb drive. I just reimaged the usb drive to ext 4 and useing unetbootin loaded the iso onto it. I do have a save file automatically loading onto the ext 4 formated drive. I was able to get gimp loaded. Everyone has read/write access to proteus\modules folder. I downloaded koffice to tmp, moved to usb porteus\modules and clicked activate, but nothing happened. I then rebooted and it hung at applying modules. I then rebooted and went in as always fresh and removed koffice and it booted fine. Ok, how do I get some full office (Koffice or openoffice) on it. haha

Thanks,

Mark

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#7 by brokenman » 01 Jan 2013, 02:59

The kdeoffice for 1.2 was a mess. The desktop is actually TDE which is a branch of KDE which means that all koffice packages had to be recompiled from source, and a lot of the packages failed to build while TDE was still in development. I am guessing if you only have this trouble with koffice then there lies the problem. There isn't much i will do about this, i have abandoned TDE as desktop since v2.0rc1 was released due to bugginess.

If you liked the speed of TDE then please try v2.0 porteus where you should find the new razor desktop even speedier. I am looking at a complete office solution for it now.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Post#8 by fanthom » 01 Jan 2013, 15:04

@mlhend2002
weird - my bet also goes for corrupted xzm.
please run

Code: Select all

file module.xzm
and try to unsquash it with

Code: Select all

unsquashfs module.xzm
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.