Installing Icecast and DarkIce.

Post here if you are a new Porteus member and you're looking for some help.
phill42083
Black ninja
Black ninja
Distribution: 1.2 - i486

Installing Icecast and DarkIce.

Post#1 by phill42083 » 13 Nov 2012, 20:37

Hello,
I am very new to this. I just downloaded Icecast (SlackBuilds Repository), and Darksnow (SlackBuilds Repository). what do I do now? I tried using source and following directions I found but it didnt work so I figured Id try this

I am running Live off of a usb stick also Not a install.

My goal is to setup a web stream, Which starts up automatically once its turned on.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Re: Installing Icecast and DarkIce.

Post#2 by brokenman » 14 Nov 2012, 00:21

Please enter into your user control panel and setup the part where you can enter which version of Porteus you are using. This will help us to identify the problem easier.

If you downloaded from the SBo repository does this mean you are building it from source? Running .Slackbuids file?

If not then try opening a terminal and running the name of the application and seeing what error you get.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

phill42083
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#3 by phill42083 » 14 Nov 2012, 03:30

First I tried doing ./configure,make,make install using the source that i found on icecast website. It looked liked it worked but after rebooting it was gone because it was on the usb and I dont know how to make it save it. next I decided to try to find a xzm which I didnt so I thought to try googling it then I saw someone suggested getting it from slackware, I found on slackware and downloaded and un tar.gz and saw a bunch of scripts I have no idea how to use. I am very new to this, I had it streaming perfect on a windows machiene but windows is very unreliable so I decided to give linux a shot. I really like this alot and I like how theres a community of people helping eachother make a (sorry for my language) kickass OS. What i am trying to do is just setup a web radio stream. Once the computer starts up it automatically starts streaming right away from the audio in, The reason I am using a USB stick is so if need be I can take it out and run windows without doing dual boot and whatever. Does anyone know how else to do this with something besides IceCast and DarkICE? I just heard of those two. I am willing to try anything and I appreciate anyone that can help me out.

Hamza
Warlord
Warlord
Distribution: Porteus

Post#4 by Hamza » 14 Nov 2012, 07:01

It looked liked it worked but after rebooting it was gone because it was on the usb and I dont know how to make it save it.
Make an xzm module from this compiled source and place it into /mnt/sdXY/porteus/modules. You have to replace XY by device and partitions IDs, example: sda1.
NjVFQzY2Rg==

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#5 by brokenman » 14 Nov 2012, 11:37

Okay great! If ./configure appeared to work then follow this:

Code: Select all

# Configure the source
./configure --prefix=/usr

# Make
make

# Install into a temporary place
mkdir /tmp/fakeroot
make DESTDIR=/tmp/fakeroot install

# Make a module
dir2xzm /tmp/fakeroot /tmp/mymodulename.xzm
Now copy this module you created into the porteus/modules directory on your USB stick. It should now be activated at every boot.

If you downloaded the source from slackbuilds then follow this. Probably you downloaded two files.
1) icecast.tar.gz
2) icecast-x.x.x.tar.gz

One is the source code (number 2) and the other is the slackbuild files. You need to unpack the slackbuild files (number 1) so that you have a bunch of files such as icecast.Slackbuild, slack-desc. Then you need to have the source code (number 2) in the same directory. Then make sure the icecast.Slackbuild is executable.

chmod +x /path/tp/icecast.Slackbuild
Now run it

./icecast.Slackbuild
That should leave a file in /tmp/icecast-x.x-i486-1.txz
Turn this into a module and put it into your moduels folder as above.

txz2xzm /tmp/icecast-x.x.i486-1.txz /tmp/icecast.xzm
3rd option is to try using Porteus Package Manager (slackbuild section) and search for icecast.
tar zxvf icecast.tar.gz

phill42083
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#6 by phill42083 » 14 Nov 2012, 16:11

I got the DarkICE to compile but now I get an error because it wouldnt create the darkeice.cfg file in /etc/. So what i did was just move the file there. How can i get this to save so i dont have to move it eachtime the computer restarts. Thanks everyone for all of your help, I really appreciate it!

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#7 by brokenman » 14 Nov 2012, 17:26

How can i get this to save so i dont have to move it eachtime the computer restarts.
There is a file called 'rootcopy' on your USB device. This is the easiest way to copy a few files to the live file system so they will be there every boot.

cp -a --parents /etc/darkeice.cfg /mnt/sdXy/porteus/rootcopy
You could also unpack the module you created, copy the file into it and repack again.

mkdir /tmp/unpacked
xzm2dir /path/to/myfile.xzm /tmp/unpacked
cp --parents /etc/darkeice.cfg /tmp/unpacked
dir2xzm /tmp/unpacked /mnt/sdXy/porteus/modules/myfile.xzm

phill42083
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#8 by phill42083 » 14 Nov 2012, 17:56

As i said I am new to this (beginner beginner), I just discovered the porteus package manager (lol), BEST idea EVER!. I found (slackware) icecast and (debian) darkice packages, I converted them to xzm and moved the modules to modules folder "/mnt/sda1/porteus/module/". My question is how do I save the settings files that are in etc and src? Thanks so much again.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#9 by brokenman » 14 Nov 2012, 21:51

Ok, a few options here. If you like PPM you will love PSC (Porteus Settings Centre).

In PSC you will find what you need. After opening it, click on the little 'half green man' button at the top to enter the changes area. This area contains methods of saving sessions/files in Porteus.

1) You can save a single session after making your changes to ice application. This will create a module
2) You can use magic folders to monitor the changes in single folders. Add both config folders to it.
3) You can 'create a changes file' which will save ALL changes you make to porteus. At the end of the process you will be asked to add a line to your porteus.cfg file (in the boot folder) which can be done from within PSC. The line you should add is: changes=/mnt/sda1/changes.dat (or whever you stored the save file you created).

Good luck

phill42083
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#10 by phill42083 » 18 Nov 2012, 06:50

Ok so I got icecast working but I can not get darkice to work, I keep getting a "DarkIce: LameLibEncoder.cpp:75: lame lib opening underlying sink error [0]" error unfortunetly. I was wondering if anyone could help me get this working?

darkice xzm: http://phill42083.webege.com/darkice-1.0-i486-1.xzm

darksnow (darkice GUI) xzm: http://phill42083.webege.com/darksnow-0.6.1-i386-1.xzm

phill42083
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#11 by phill42083 » 18 Nov 2012, 10:20

Finally! I got it to work. But only through darksnow. If try without I get the Lamelib error that I wrote in earlier post