[SOLVED]Permanent Hibernation HELP

Post here if you are a new Porteus member and you're looking for some help.
willard
Black ninja
Black ninja

[SOLVED]Permanent Hibernation HELP

Post#1 by willard » 10 Sep 2012, 04:22

Re: porteus-XFCE-v1.2-i486.iso
Greetings,
When referenced system is unattended for ~7 minutes, it goes into hibernation, where everything is black except the power & WIFI LEDS. Is there a Hot-key to wake it up? It gets so frustrating, that I must shut the power off and reboot!
SUMMARY:
NEEDED KERNEL UPDATE!
:D
Last edited by willard on 14 Sep 2012, 13:48, edited 1 time in total.

younix
White ninja
White ninja

Re: Permanent Hibernation HELP

Post#2 by younix » 10 Sep 2012, 12:19

Hi willard !
I just press the enter key .
If it's still annoying click on the Porteus button in the left > Settings > Settings Manager.
In the opened window find Hardware and click Power Manager. Change the settings.
If you run porteus in always fresh mode you have to create a "save file" .

Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs
Distribution: LXDE & Xfce 32/64-bit

Post#3 by Ahau » 10 Sep 2012, 15:35

Welcome, willard!

If you have changed your power manager settings to lock the screen when the system is inactive, then your system has been locked by 'slock', which does not give a visual prompt for unlocking; you simply type the password for the current user ('guest' for guest user or 'toor' for root, unless you have changed your passwords) and press enter, and the screen will unlock. I've written a gtkdialog warning for this, which will be implemented in the next release. screen locking is disabled by default so that it should only be locked by a user who specifies it.

If you've not enabled locking, then this is probably a kernel issue, as your system fails to wake up properly. Please try upgrading your kernel and initrd following the links here: http://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=1472 and let us know if that helps. If not, please post the output of the 'psinfo' command to pastebin.com and we'll take a look at your hardware specs to see if we can find anything more. Otherwise, you can disable hibernation in xfce's power settings, by going to the applications menu-system settings - power manager. You may also have to run 'xset s off' as reported by feng, here: http://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php? ... =60#p10586

Thanks!
Please take a look at our online documentation, here. Suggestions are welcome!

willard
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#4 by willard » 11 Sep 2012, 03:27

[quote="Ahau"

Please try upgrading your kernel and initrd following the links here: http://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=1472 and let us know if that helps.

If not, please post the output of the 'psinfo' command to pastebin.com and we'll take a look at your hardware specs to see if we can find anything more.

[/quote]

Dear Ahau:

Porteus 1.2 reports the Upgrade is an invalid XZM:

[img]
http://www.mninter.net/~pfourier/ppm2.jpg
[/img]

Also, Porteus automatically sent the 'psinfo' log to pastebin w/o any name/title or syntax about 7 minutes ago.
HTH
willard
*I have not used pastebin B4*

Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs
Distribution: LXDE & Xfce 32/64-bit

Post#5 by Ahau » 11 Sep 2012, 12:52

willard,

my apologies for not being more specific. That file is not a module, it is an archive containing files that need to be manually updated.

From the link posted in fanthom's thread, here: http://ponce.cc/porteus/i486/current/ex ... nux-3.4.9/

download the file: linux-3.4.9-kernel_update-i486-1ftm.tar.gz

then, navigate to that file, right click on it and choose 'extract here'. This will leave two directories, boot and porteus.

Copy the files 'vmlinuz' and 'initrd.xz' from the boot folder that you just extracted into the boot folder on your flash drive, where you have porteus installed (you may want to back up the vmlinuz and initrd.xz files from there first),

Then, copy the file '000-kernel.xzm' from the folder 'porteus/base' that you just extracted into the /porteus/base folder on your flash drive, at the same location specified above.

On reboot, your system will start using the new kernel and initrd.
Please take a look at our online documentation, here. Suggestions are welcome!

willard
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#6 by willard » 11 Sep 2012, 16:37

Ahau wrote:

On reboot, your system will start using the new kernel and initrd.
Dear Ahau:
Your recipe was interpreted correctly:
  • guest@porteus:~$ uname -r
    3.4.9-porteus
    guest@porteus:~$
THX!
willard