[SOLVED] Installed but can't find bittorrent in menus.

Post here if you are a new Porteus member and you're looking for some help.
beux
Ronin
Ronin

[SOLVED] Installed but can't find bittorrent in menus.

Post#1 by beux » 08 Jul 2012, 03:51

I had good success with a couple Porteus Pkg Mng downloads today, (bluefish? web editor, for example) but just can't find bittorrent in any menu although it is in the spare partition I'm using for all my "squash" files or whatever Porteus calls them. I have been using Puppy for 6mo's.

So just to be sure, I unloaded bittorrent ---- then did the PPM download again, still nothing. I'm trying to get PartedMagic for some crazy reason (and I really prefer torrents). I only figured them out a couple weeks ago. :Bravo:
Last edited by beux on 09 Jul 2012, 02:42, edited 1 time in total.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Re: Installed but can't find bittorrent in menus.

Post#2 by brokenman » 08 Jul 2012, 04:49

Hi beux and welcome.

When asking for help please provide a little more info. Most important being which version of Porteus you are using and if it is 32bit or 64bit.

After checking bittorent on the 32bit repo i found it is failing. Probably because i compiled it under a different version of trinity. Bittorrent is a console application and as such doesn't have a GUI. Please use PPM to download an application called 'transmission' which is a GTK bittorrent application.

If you have problems you may need to install python.

Let us know how you go.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

beux
Ronin
Ronin

Post#3 by beux » 08 Jul 2012, 06:17

Thanks for that. I just tried getting Transmission and it stopped after 2 sec's.

/mnt/sda2/004-tde.xzm is not a valid
porteus modual!! We must abort now!

Today's my first use of Porteus 1.2 i486 LXDE
My PC (home-brew) Intel 2.8GHz HT cpu/1GB ram, from 2003... Old but fast. Using an 80GB Barracuda.
I've enjoyed Porteus greatly today but must rest (15 hours now). ( :crazy:

BTW, I wound up going to SourceForge directly. Obviously torrent clients are better though, and I can seed cause my PC always on pretty much.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#4 by brokenman » 08 Jul 2012, 20:32

Please remove the transmission module and try again. I tested this on two different machines and everything seems fine. You must use the PPM only and make sure ONLY modules generated with PPM exist in your storage folder.

beux
Ronin
Ronin

Post#5 by beux » 09 Jul 2012, 02:48

I've done everything you advised... Infact, I reinstalled Porteus 1.2 KDE trinity to my 16G Lexar USB (sdb1...3). I'm using sbd1 for the OS and sdb3 exclusively for PPM stuff. GParted was used to clear it out today, so there's only the standard "lost+found" folder that I guess is fine.

I got Python-2.6.6-i486 as you advised (of course I'm only using the Porteus Package Manager program). I noticed something maybe useful. After a good PPM fetch, the congratulatory little dialog box DOES NOT appear for Transmission. As a test it got Remobo and, as I said Python. Both gave me that acknowledgement and Remobo place itself under the Internet Menu.

Trying to be brief... I had Konqueror window open and saw the "live" update occur for these PPM fetches, however while Transmission-2.13.i486-1sl.xzm is there in the dedicated sdb3 (5Gig partition), I can't "deactivate" it for example because PPM just doesn't seem to recognize it's presence.

One last possibe issue, when I close PPM I get a small dialog box:
Sorry - TDE su
Command '/opt/porteus-scripts/porteus-package-manager' not found.

Well, no rush of course. Porteus is great!

Posted after 3 hours 3 minutes 10 seconds:
Re: [SOLVED] Installed but can't find bittorrent in menus.
Hey, apparently I just needed to press "Activate module" -- once I did that, the three or four dependencies kicked in and Transmission is in my Internet Menu ---- and it's Running NOW!!

Big Thanks for the support (Brokenman) :D

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: [SOLVED] Installed but can't find bittorrent in menus.

Post#6 by brokenman » 09 Jul 2012, 04:34

Very welcome.

Command '/opt/porteus-scripts/porteus-package-manager' not found.
Yes i am getting this too. Will patch this up in an update.