dat container posix compatibility?

Post here if you are a new Porteus member and you're looking for some help.
rikkai
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: V3.2.2 MATE

dat container posix compatibility?

Post#1 by rikkai » 29 Mar 2012, 14:45

Greetings-

I have set up Porteus on a 16gb flash drive. I created a 350mb dat container named 0 and placed it in my sdb1/porteus/ folder
and have changed my config file to use my UUID value.

When I boot into porteus, it gives me the error" checking UUID: 1eo4-ad220a/0.dat filesystem for posix compatibility and then it tells me that a windows file system non posix filesystem has been found on none and create a dat container with dat manager. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

I have come to love porteus and would like to roll it out into a test environment, but I have to be able to save my changes across the board.<I apologize if this has been answered already, but I really did look through the forums!> :wink:

Thanks Again,
Rikkai
"Don't be too proud of this technological terror you have constructed... The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the FORCE" -Darth Vader

Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs
Distribution: LXDE & Xfce 32/64-bit

Re: dat container posix compatibility?

Post#2 by Ahau » 29 Mar 2012, 15:01

welcome, rikkai!

You need to specify the full path to the .dat container, and it is in a directory (/porteus/) rather than the root of your device. Change your bootloader config to point to 'changes=UUID:1eo4-ad220a/porteus/0.dat' instead of 'changes=UUID:1eo4-ad220a/0.dat' and let us know if that helps.
Please take a look at our online documentation, here. Suggestions are welcome!

rikkai
White ninja
White ninja

Post#3 by rikkai » 29 Mar 2012, 15:52

Thanks Ahau,
I will try it later on and let you know how it goes.

Rikkai

Posted after 24 minutes 25 seconds:
Hi Ahau-

I have the path correct now," UUID/porteus/0.dat" and I am still getting the same posix error. Could it be a bad sector of the USB drive?, maybe try a different flash drive? :unknown:

Additional info:
Dell Laptop w/Windows 7 Enterprise installed
USB ports working, can still boot slax 6 from a different usb flash so Iknow that the bios is working out.

Thanks again for all the help,
Rikkai
"Don't be too proud of this technological terror you have constructed... The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the FORCE" -Darth Vader

Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs
Distribution: LXDE & Xfce 32/64-bit

Post#4 by Ahau » 29 Mar 2012, 16:06

Does porteus still boot up into the GUI, just in always fresh mode, or is it failing there too?

Please post your full bootloader config entry, so we can see how you've got it set up, and it wouldn't hurt to run 'psinfo', post the output to pastebin.com and insert a link here, so we can see the other details of your system.

If you've got porteus running fine from that flash drive otherwise (just boots to always fresh instead of with saved changes), then I doubt it's a bad sector on the flash drive -- I think most modern flash controllers are capable of finding and deactivating bad sectors-- but it could be that there was some error in the creation of the .dat that corrupted it and you would need to delete it and build a new one.

I don't have a copy of linuxrc in front of me, but IIRC it follows the path to the changes file or container, loop mounts it (if it's a container), and tests it for POSIX compatibility by trying to create a symlink in the saved changes directory. Any failure in this chain of events leads to the error you're receving.
Please take a look at our online documentation, here. Suggestions are welcome!

rikkai
White ninja
White ninja

Post#5 by rikkai » 29 Mar 2012, 16:17

Thanks Ahau,

Porteus always boots into fresh mode after the error.

I will post my results later on, Unfortunately, Work must intrude.

Talk to you soon,

Rikkai

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#6 by brokenman » 30 Mar 2012, 00:02

Please confirm UUID

Code: Select all

grep UUID /var/log/porteus-livedbg
Please show us your cmdline

Code: Select all

cat /proc/cmdline
Please try renaming .dat file to something other than 0.dat (probably not a problem but wouldn't hurt to try).
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

rikkai
White ninja
White ninja

Post#7 by rikkai » 30 Mar 2012, 14:37

greetings ahau, brokenman-

I created a new .dat container <350mb> and named it save.dat Still getting the posix compatibility error.

Here is the output from brokenman's suggestion-

guest@porteus:~$ grep UUID /var/log/porteus-livedbg
/dev/sda1: LABEL="Valhalla" UUID="2AA0D2E9A0D2BB11" TYPE="ntfs"
/dev/sda2: LABEL="Files" UUID="38703CE0703CA692" TYPE="ntfs"
/dev/sdb1: LABEL="PORTEUS" UUID="10F9-6F0A" TYPE="vfat"

guest@porteus:~$ cat /proc/cmdline
root=/dev/ram0 rootfstype=ext4 rw initrd=/boot/initrd.xz vga=791 changes=UUID:10F9-6F0A/porteus/save.dat BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz

I did post my current porteus.cfg and psinfo on pastebin

http://pastebin.com/g8BheBV2

Am I missing something that is right in front of me? :%)
I know I can install porteus on a flash drive from my linux vbox, but it makes me angry when I don't know the answer. :Search:
All I need to do is fix this one part and I'll be good to go.

Thanks again for all the help.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Post#8 by fanthom » 30 Mar 2012, 20:45

hello rikkai,

please zip your .dat file (it's size should be only few kb after zipping) and send to me on fanthom@porteus.org
i'll check what's wrong with it.
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

rikkai
White ninja
White ninja

Post#9 by rikkai » 30 Mar 2012, 23:10

Thanks Fanthom, I sent it to you. Good Luck :o

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Post#10 by fanthom » 01 Apr 2012, 08:22

hi rikkai,

i had no problems with using your save.dat on my PC.
probably fs on your usb stick got corrupted - please try to format it once again.
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

rikkai
White ninja
White ninja

Post#11 by rikkai » 04 Apr 2012, 15:36

Solved---

Hi Fanthom,

I took your advice, I re-formatted the USB drive and tried again. Same posix error. So then I moved to a different USB drive and tried again, SUCCESS!!!, Porteus saw the dat filesystem and told me it was posix compatible. I tested and Porteus saved
my changes. Encouraged, I then installed Porteus on a third USB drive and tested the newly created dat file on that drive with continued success.

I guess the answer is that when you see that particular posix error, you should consider USB file corruption as a likely issue and try a different media and see what happens. Now I know <and as G.I.Joe says " And Knowing Is Half The Battle" :D >

Thanks again to you, Brokenman, and Ahau for the prompt response :Yahoo!:

Rikkai

Posted after 2 days 16 minutes 33 seconds:
[Solved] dat container posix compatibility?
Forgot to add solved to the thread. :Yahoo!:

Rikkai