Wacom Bamboo Capture in kernel?

Post here if you are a new Porteus member and you're looking for some help.
edge226
Contributor
Contributor

Wacom Bamboo Capture in kernel?

Post#1 by edge226 » 07 Mar 2012, 20:29

Hello, I've tried plugging in my wacom tablet device and I am getting no where. I know this needs to be built into the kernel, has this been compiled into the current kernel support?

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Re: Wacom Bamboo Capture in kernel?

Post#2 by brokenman » 08 Mar 2012, 00:48

I don't believe so. Will have to double check tonight from home. Will consider adding tablet support for ext release.

Can i ask what you use your tablet for under Porteus?
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

edge226
Contributor
Contributor

Post#3 by edge226 » 08 Mar 2012, 02:26

I just purchased it today, I am hoping it can become my primary mouse because currently I am using a keyboard and mouse combination that is nice in terms of portability and being able to sit in your lap and such but it is not accurate at all. It will definitely be a very useful business tool. I am fairly proficient with Gimp. My work with a mouse has gotten many comments on business cards that I have made. One comment was from my mothers banker whom said it looked much nicer than their own cards. I make custom content, no icons or cheap looking stuff. I learned Photoshop in high school. I helped my mother create a Doggy Daycare business, unfortunately I made a mistake on my mothers computer and wiped her home drive. So I need to do some work and create two more business cards and a pamphlet which was originally a poster but my mom wants a pamphlet so I'll help her do it. I also plan on starting up my own freelance tech business. The pieces are starting to come together nicely.

Support for the tablet would be a wonderful thing. I switched to Porteus because when I try a distribution I do not try it for what it currently is. I imagine what it could be. From the posts that I have seen from the admins here they seem to hold the same vision as myself, innovation in a simplistic manner. Some hardware is definitely more complicated in its current state than it needs to be, but that is across the board with almost all distributions in my case but work going into the kernel is supposed to be getting better HDMI Audio Support.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Post#4 by fanthom » 08 Mar 2012, 12:01

@edge226

just checked and wacom kernel drivers are there. 32bit version ships with wider selection of xorg drivers so no need to do anything in this area.
if you are using 64bit edition then please install following package:
click

last step is to configure xorg.conf to use wacom tablet as input device. if autodetection wont work then you may have to edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf manually as in this example:
click

other resources which may be helpful:
gentoo wiki
arch wiki

i'll add xf86-input-wacom to 64bit edition by default but only if you succeed with wacom in Porteus.

let us know if you stuck somewhere.
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#5 by brokenman » 08 Mar 2012, 13:02

Indeed it is.

CONFIG_TABLET_USB_WACOM=m
CONFIG_TOUCHSCREEN_WACOM_W8001=m
# CONFIG_HID_WACOM is not set

Fanthom compiled this kernel because i was pressed for time (and he does a better job) so otherwise it may not have been included. I'm sure i have a wacom around here from my graphic design days. Not sure if i bought it with me overseas. Will have a look and try to test.

Code: Select all

modprobe wacom

edge226
Contributor
Contributor

Post#6 by edge226 » 09 Mar 2012, 10:56

brokenman wrote:
# CONFIG_HID_WACOM is not set
\
I think that may be important, I recompiled my own kernel and did a bunch of work it took me a few hours and I did not see that part. I may have to do another kernel compile and test it.

Unfortunately I have spent over 12 hours so far trying to get this working and I need the device operational to do work... as a result I may have to stick a windows partition on this box as a temporary measure.

I am not 100% sure of the initrd options I require either, I've never dealt with using initrd before. So I may have ended up doing the kernel right and missing the proper initrd options from the get go.

Posted after 6 hours 18 minutes 9 seconds:
I found a post in regards to getting it working in ubuntu and noticed most of it is relevant in general Linux usage. I am going to see if this will work in Porteus.

http://sepharads.blogspot.com/2011/11/u ... h-670.html

I am not sure if I have the proper dependencies or not.

gonna take a stab at it.

:)

Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs
Distribution: LXDE & Xfce 32/64-bit

Post#7 by Ahau » 09 Mar 2012, 13:54

I don't think you'll need extra dependencies (slackware's package management doesn't hobble compiling like debian-based distros do). You'll need to make sure you have the 'devel' module activated, and you'll need the 'crippled-sources' module, which you can grab from the Porteus server (go to porteus.org, hover over the "Download" tab, click on your edition (32 or 64), then "current" if you're using 1.1 or "testing" if you're using 1.2RC1, then packages, kernel-sources, then click on the crippled-sources module to download it).

You can then follow the instructions on that site to compile the driver. If you're using saved changes those instructions will work (but you'll have to do it all over if you wipe your saved changes). To make a module with this driver, do this after you complete that HOWTO:

mkdir -p /tmp/wacom-bamboo/lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/input/tablet/
cp /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/input/tablet/wacom.ko /tmp/wacom-bamboo/lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/input/tablet/
cp /lib/modules/`uname -r`/modules* /tmp/wacom-bamboo/lib/modules/`uname -r`/
dir2xzm /tmp/wacom-bamboo /tmp/wacom-bamboo-driver.xzm
cp /tmp/wacom-bamboo-driver.xzm /mnt/sdXY/porteus/modules
Where sdXY is your drive on which porteus is installed.

Hopefully after all of that, this driver will work for you!
Please take a look at our online documentation, here. Suggestions are welcome!

edge226
Contributor
Contributor

Post#8 by edge226 » 10 Mar 2012, 16:12

I ended up breaking my kernel, going to have to do a restore. It says I don't have the kernel headers installed to build the kernel module for the 3.1.8, I guess that crippled-sources is the kernel headers.

The package from that link is an updated Kernen module driver for the Wacom Tablets that made my Tablet work in Mageia. When I was so close to a fix I wanted to see if it would actually work and it did it. I ended up drawing a Large tree under the night sky.

next step is to fix Porteus, what would I need to do to update the kernel module?

Ahau

Posted after 4 hours 36 minutes 44 seconds:
confirmed to work with the same functionality as in mageia, set upon boot.
I do have problems in gimp though, particularly when I draw long lines it cuts out and does not act like I would wish it to.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post#9 by fanthom » 11 Mar 2012, 10:19

@edge226
this is certainly a good news.
could you share an info what was necessary to get it working?
or maybe you could post an HOWTO for Wacom Bamboo tablets under Porteus?

edge226
Contributor
Contributor

Post#10 by edge226 » 11 Mar 2012, 12:30

it still does not work 100%, I think I may have an older than current kernel driver since the post is a few months old, I cannot seem to find where to get on the mailing list on sourceforge.

I most likely can since it is quite a simple process.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#11 by brokenman » 11 Mar 2012, 13:09

The sourceforge project just released another driver yesterday (10th march 2012)

http://sourceforge.net/projects/linuxwacom/files/

Download the xf86 package.

tar xvjf xf86-input-wacom-0.14.0.tar.bz2
cd xf86-input-wacom-0.14.0
./configure --prefix=/usr
make
mkdir /tmp/build
make DESTDIR=/tmp/usr install
dir2xzm /tmp/build /mnt/sdxX/porteus/modules/xf86-input-wacom-0.14.0.xzm
This should be enough to get you up and running. Here is a list of the files in the resulting module. Most notably the config file at the bottom.

tmp/build/usr
/tmp/build/usr/bin
/tmp/build/usr/bin/isdv4-serial-debugger
/tmp/build/usr/bin/xsetwacom
/tmp/build/usr/include
/tmp/build/usr/include/xorg
/tmp/build/usr/include/xorg/wacom-util.h
/tmp/build/usr/include/xorg/isdv4.h
/tmp/build/usr/include/xorg/wacom-properties.h
/tmp/build/usr/include/xorg/Xwacom.h
/tmp/build/usr/lib
/tmp/build/usr/lib/pkgconfig
/tmp/build/usr/lib/pkgconfig/xorg-wacom.pc
/tmp/build/usr/lib/xorg
/tmp/build/usr/lib/xorg/modules
/tmp/build/usr/lib/xorg/modules/input
/tmp/build/usr/lib/xorg/modules/input/wacom_drv.la
/tmp/build/usr/lib/xorg/modules/input/wacom_drv.so
/tmp/build/usr/share
/tmp/build/usr/share/man
/tmp/build/usr/share/man/man1
/tmp/build/usr/share/man/man1/xsetwacom.1
/tmp/build/usr/share/man/man4
/tmp/build/usr/share/man/man4/wacom.4
/tmp/build/usr/share/X11
/tmp/build/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d
/tmp/build/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-wacom.conf

edge226
Contributor
Contributor

Post#12 by edge226 » 11 Mar 2012, 13:30

awesome, I got the latest drivers and the latest xorg module and it seems to be working tip top now :)

Posted after 4 minutes 11 seconds:
I however just added that to my filesystem and replaced the latest one, I am sure this does not actually replace the module in the 000.kernel.xzm module, I am going to have to take a quick look at the kernel compile document and get that working properly.

@fanthom if you wanted to be really nice you could add the custom module to kernels as they are updated. Then as long as an .xzm file with the latest x11 wacom driver would probably be a much easier solution for end users than them having to compile their own kernel module.

so it probably ended up in my /portues/changes or something.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#13 by brokenman » 11 Mar 2012, 13:43

I am sure this does not actually replace the module in the 000.kernel.xzm module, I am going to have to take a quick look at the kernel compile document and get that working properly.
Yes it will replace your base module files if it is in the /modules folder. Base is loaded first, modules folder is loaded second.

edge226
Contributor
Contributor

Post#14 by edge226 » 12 Mar 2012, 06:52

@brokenman correct, however I have a seperate file downloaded: https://sourceforge.net/projects/linuxw ... put-wacom/ that I built. It is the kernel module wacom.ko from the input section of the kernel modules. I replaced it manually so it is not in an xzm module and is most likely in the changes directory.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post#15 by fanthom » 12 Mar 2012, 15:08

@edge226
i could do it for 64bits but need to know what exactly i must add to Porteus. please post download links like:
a) xxxx
b) xxxx
c) xxxx