No Sound on G41 mobo

Post here if you are a new Porteus member and you're looking for some help.
goateron
Ronin
Ronin

No Sound on G41 mobo

Post#1 by goateron » 02 Mar 2012, 20:34

I have search on this but can't find the answer (the distro looks and feels great by they way).

I am prety new to Linux and can't get the sound to work (playing videos in Firefox etc) on my Mobo. I had a similar problem on Puppy Linux so think it must be the board/driver issue. My board is a Gibabyte GA-G41MT-D3 which uses the Realtek ALC888B codec apparently.
link to board http://www.gigabyte.com/products/produc ... id=3476#dl

I plug the speakers into the green output at the back (it works OK on Windows 7).

Any ideas what I should do? Many thanks

Posted after 2 minutes 42 seconds:
Sorry, should have said, I am using the 64 bit version of Porteus (downloaded today).

Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs
Distribution: LXDE & Xfce 32/64-bit

Re: No Sound on G41 mobo

Post#2 by Ahau » 02 Mar 2012, 20:41

welcome, goateron!

Please run 'psinfo', either from the command line or from the GUI menu under the 'System' heading. This will generate a text file with a lot of information that will help us better diagnose if this is a driver issue or if it's a configuration issue. Please copy the contents of the generated text file to pastebin.com (no account needed, you can just create a public post) and post a link here.

Please also give us the output of 'aplay -l' and 'amixer'.

Thanks!
Please take a look at our online documentation, here. Suggestions are welcome!

goateron
Ronin
Ronin

Post#3 by goateron » 02 Mar 2012, 20:59

OK, Perhaps I am too stupid to own a computer! I burnt the disk again and tried it again and it works perfectly. Sorry to waste your time but at least I know what to do if I get a problem. Thanks for coming back so quickly.

The distro looks and feels fantastic by the way - a great piece of work. Many thanks

Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs
Distribution: LXDE & Xfce 32/64-bit

Post#4 by Ahau » 02 Mar 2012, 21:04

No, you're certainly not too stupid to own one (Exhibit "A" would be my mother in law). Glad you got it working and that you're enjoying the distro!
Please take a look at our online documentation, here. Suggestions are welcome!