Stupid question, I guess.....

Post here if you are a new Porteus member and you're looking for some help.
Mike_Walsh
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: Puppy!

Post#1 by Mike_Walsh » 25 Feb 2023, 14:41

Morning, guys.

New member here, and a long time Puppy user. Currently posting this from Fossapup64, 'cos I can't for the life of me work out what the root password should be when running in "guest"(?) mode. I know, I know; I'm a dozy git, but I cannae find it anywhere in the documentation!

Quick background:

I've essentially done a quick'n'dirty "USB-type" install to an old PATA/IDE 64 GB KingSpec SSD out of my ancient Dell Inspiron lappie, which shuffled off its mortal coil last August. Runs via a USB 3.0 to SATA adapter. Runs really rather well, if the truth be known.

The trouble is, we're SO used to running-as-root ALL the time in Puppyland that I have to give myself a darned good kick up the backside when I try out anything that uses the usual user password:root password structure.....

I was trying to install a browser using the scripts, and of course, it wants a root password.....and the quick'n'dirty method doesn't 'install' it in the normal way.....nor can I find any reference to this in the documentation anywhere. Anybody fancy pointing me in the right direction? All advice/suggestions, etc, gratefully received...! :)

(If you feel a re-install via a different method would be better, don't be afraid to say so.)

Mike. :D
The hallmark of the truly skilled is to make the difficult stuff look EASY..... (Of course, it does help to know what you're doing in the first place! :good: )

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Post#2 by Ed_P » 25 Feb 2023, 15:13

Mornin Mike.

I've always believed the only stupid question is the one you don't ask.

If you look at the Porteus boot menu, /dev/usb-drv/boot/syslinux/porteus.png, on the right hand side near the bottom, the userids and passwords are shown. :)

To help you to remember, think backwards. ;)

Welcome to the forum. :)
Ed

babam
Warlord
Warlord
Distribution: Porteus 5.0rc3 Xfce K6.1.1

Post#3 by babam » 25 Feb 2023, 15:50

toor
Sorry, my English is bad.

ncmprhnsbl
DEV Team
DEV Team
Distribution: v5.0-64bit

Post#4 by ncmprhnsbl » 25 Feb 2023, 22:38

and if you want to run porteus puppy style, just hit TAB at the boot menu and type: login=root (then enter)
this will start a graphical session as root user, no passwords asked.
Forum Rules : https://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=44

Mike_Walsh
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: Puppy!

Post#5 by Mike_Walsh » 26 Feb 2023, 00:25

Hi, guys. Thanks for getting back to me.

@ Ed_P:-

I followed your instructions, but couldn't find what you mentioned. Then I realised I was running v4.0.....and we're at v5.0 now, I believe?

(EDIT:- Nah, I've just had a shufti through the Porteus file-system from Puppy. Found the same PNG under/boot/syslinux? That's the one, I believe; anyways, I see what ya mean about "think backwards"! :pardon: )

------------------------------------

@ ncmprhnsbl:-
and if you want to run porteus puppy style, just hit TAB at the boot menu and type: login=root (then enter)
this will start a graphical session as root user, no passwords asked.
Ah! O-kay.... Umm....right; so, what about these browser installer scripts? It'll still want a 'root' password, I take it....yes?

(Answered myself above, actually... TOLD ya it was a stupid question! :oops: )

Mike. ;)
Last edited by Mike_Walsh on 26 Feb 2023, 23:45, edited 1 time in total.
The hallmark of the truly skilled is to make the difficult stuff look EASY..... (Of course, it does help to know what you're doing in the first place! :good: )

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Post#6 by Ed_P » 26 Feb 2023, 01:28

Mike_Walsh wrote:
26 Feb 2023, 00:25
I followed your instructions, but couldn't find what you mentioned. Then I realised I was running v4.0..
Yes, with v4.0 the same file has the same information but on the right hand side near the top.
Mike_Walsh wrote:
26 Feb 2023, 00:25
so, what about these browser installer scripts? It'll still want a 'root' password, I take it....yes?
If you're running as root you shouldn't need to respond to root password prompts.
Ed