No package manager????

Post here if you are a new Porteus member and you're looking for some help.
goshante
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: 5.0 gtk

No package manager????

Post#1 by goshante » 28 Oct 2022, 22:08

Version 5.0 is fckin garbage
apt? No, you say it based on slackwawre, so usm
usm???? COMMAND NOT FOUND
Oh, now it uses ppm, it's own package manager
okay, ppm?? COMMAND NOT FOUND

SO WHAT DO I SUPPOSE TO DO? I CANNOT EVEN INSTALL FIREFOX ON IT, WHY OLDER VERSION IS SO CASTRATED? WHY REMOVING PACKAGE MANAGER FROM PORTEUS AND HOW DO I INSTALL APPS??? THIS SH*T PISSED ME OFF

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

No package manager????

Post#2 by Ed_P » 29 Oct 2022, 00:03

1. Menu > Internet > Browser Selection and Update Tool
2. [Porteus 5.0's USM replacement] getmod: A wrapper for slapt-get to build modules

Time to stop smoking weed gosh. Find mommy to read the posting for you.
Ed

coa
Black ninja
Black ninja
Distribution: porteus 5.0 cinnamon

No package manager????

Post#3 by coa » 30 Oct 2022, 06:06

:)

gnintilgyes
Black ninja
Black ninja
Distribution: Debian

No package manager????

Post#4 by gnintilgyes » 01 Nov 2022, 16:08

Porteus-v5.0 is released!

The topic that I linked to has to be emphasized even more.

Welcome to the forums goshante. Next time please try to keep out the nasty language. Check out the "Announcements" section of the forum. There you will find a link that will take you to a place where you could choose a mirror to obtain Porteus XZM files. Then in the mirror site make sure you selected the right architecture (32-bit "i686" or 64-bit "x86_64"), choose it, and then look for the modules. The full path should be something like /porteus/x86_64/Porteus-v5.0/modules/. There is a variety of web browsers available and you only have to choose Firefox or whatever you want. You could even change the desktop environment if you don't like how the current one looks.

Porteus is different from other distros like Ubuntu which might make it dead easy to put in and remove at will. It is meant to be portable, the user could take it with him/her into a strange place which has an Internet connection. It requires operating differently to what you might be accustomed with another penguin.

Karmi
Samurai
Samurai
Distribution: Linux

No package manager????

Post#5 by Karmi » 22 Nov 2022, 19:21

Porteus 5.0 doesn't have a "package manager????"!!!!????

Who 'Da Heck put the NVIDIA driver, slap-get, etcher, Firefox, Free Download Manager, Gimp, Gnome Disk Utility, inxi tool, perl, LibreOffice,VirtualBox & etc. on my computer?!?!?!?!?!?! :shock:

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor

No package manager????

Post#6 by Ed_P » 22 Nov 2022, 21:55

Karmi wrote:
22 Nov 2022, 19:21
Free Download Manager
:%)
Ed

gnintilgyes
Black ninja
Black ninja

No package manager????

Post#7 by gnintilgyes » 22 Nov 2022, 22:40

Karmi wrote:
Porteus 5.0 doesn't have a "package manager????"!!!!????

Who 'Da Heck put the NVIDIA driver, slap-get, etcher, Firefox, Free Download Manager, Gimp, Gnome Disk Utility, inxi tool, perl, LibreOffice,VirtualBox & etc. on my computer?!?!?!?!?!?! :shock:
You are kidding, right? Don't go along with the author of the first post.

Karmi
Samurai
Samurai

No package manager????

Post#8 by Karmi » 23 Nov 2022, 01:00

gnintilgyes wrote:
22 Nov 2022, 22:40
You are kidding, right?
Of course...I thought it was obvious since 1st author couldn't even "INSTALL FIREFOX." Sorry for the confusion...

Karmi
Samurai
Samurai

No package manager????

Post#9 by Karmi » 23 Nov 2022, 01:06

Ed_P wrote:
22 Nov 2022, 21:55
Karmi wrote:
Free Download Manager
:%)
I download quite a bit, and have used Free Download Manager for years - https://www.freedownloadmanager.org/

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor

No package manager????

Post#10 by Ed_P » 23 Nov 2022, 01:24

Karmi wrote:
23 Nov 2022, 01:00
gnintilgyes wrote:
22 Nov 2022, 22:40
You are kidding, right?
Of course...I thought it was obvious
I understood what you meant. But you could of mentioned how you got all the files you referenced in Porteus 5.0: slapt-get, getmod, Bundles, pmod, ...?
Karmi wrote:
23 Nov 2022, 01:06
I download quite a bit, and have used Free Download Manager for years - https://www.freedownloadmanager.org/
Interesting, I've never heard of it. How is it better than a GUI browser or terminal wget?
Ed

Karmi
Samurai
Samurai

No package manager????

Post#11 by Karmi » 23 Nov 2022, 01:35

Ed_P wrote:
23 Nov 2022, 01:24
Interesting, I've never heard of it. How is it better than a GUI browser or terminal wget?
Some files can be 10-11 GBs 'n downloading thru the browser on wireless internet is not reliable, IMHO, e.g., connection drops at 9.56 of a 10 GB file. FDM can handle dropped connections. Never heard of "terminal wget."

gnintilgyes
Black ninja
Black ninja

No package manager????

Post#12 by gnintilgyes » 23 Nov 2022, 17:15

Karmi wrote:
23 Nov 2022, 01:00
Of course...I thought it was obvious since 1st author couldn't even "INSTALL FIREFOX." Sorry for the confusion...
It was better to start your own topic about it, because we keep posting here and keep giving the first post author more glory for it, likely he's not going to return.

I wrote this right after "needing" to install Firefox instead of whatever browser I choose on Salix. This is rather easy to do even for a total newb at computers, while not as obvious on Porteus. It's not as "automatic" to somebody less experienced than you or me in installing a program on Linux, or maybe even installing on Windows even with those hogs of installer programs. Just point somewhere inside "the Shop" and click, it's not simpler than that? It causes somebody to rant about being unable to install something, because he/she also didn't read the rules of the forum before posting.

I agree about unreliable Internet connections and ISP's, needing more often to use "wget" to download stuff because sometimes I get sent down to 25 kB/second, from about 50 times as fast. This never happened to me before I had six months of my Internet subscription and I'm currently pushing the ninth.

"wget" isn't difficult to use, you use it at the terminal command line. Just type its name and after that, give it the text name of a link for something to download like a ZIP file. You could put multiple links into a text file and then do:

Code: Select all

wget --input-file=myfile.txt
where "myfile.txt" (without double-quotation marks) is the name of your text file in the current directory. However this does no control over what are the names of the downloaded files. I'm still trying to figure that one around. LOL let's wait for Rava or someone else to teach us.

You could interrupt a slow or lengthy download anytime you want by pressing [CTRL][C]. You could resume it later by doing:

Code: Select all

wget --continue file-to-download
with the same Internet link that you had offered earlier. This is not 100% reliable as you might have noticed with the download manager, it depends on the moody server on the other side and a few of them resent being connected multiple times by the same IP.

gnintilgyes
Black ninja
Black ninja

No package manager????

Post#13 by gnintilgyes » 23 Nov 2022, 17:23

Ed_P wrote:
23 Nov 2022, 01:24
I don't know if "wget" allows parallel downloads if your connection could handle it. That would have been the main difference. The FDM is available for all "popular" platforms too.

I also don't know if you have seen "pacman" in action, the installer/remover for CLI from Arch. By default it supports three or four downloads at one time, it could be adjusted via "pacman.conf". A GUI download manager is expected to be able to do that, continue broken downloads and more.

Karmi
Samurai
Samurai

No package manager????

Post#14 by Karmi » 24 Nov 2022, 00:32

gnintilgyes wrote:
23 Nov 2022, 17:15
It was better to start your own topic about it, because we keep posting here and keep giving the first post author more glory for it, likely he's not going to return.

"wget" isn't difficult to use, you use it at the terminal command line. Just type its name and after that, give it the text name of a link for something to download like a ZIP file.
It's against 'Da Law here to respond to someone who just kicked in the Forum door 'n cursed my favorite Linux OS? ;) Forum members should respond to such rude behavior as they see fit, and I did. Basically, your theory is wrong, IMHO, i.e., the "first post" isn't actually getting any "glory" (?!?!?!?), just a *LOT* of views (2858 so far) 'n a few replies.

I joined Porteus Forum earlier this year, always got the info I needed to install everything I wanted on it, when I asked, and I have asked a *LOT*! :oops: :sos: :Yahoo!: :worship:

OK...that wget. I have probably used it before. Ed_P threw me off wid the "terminal wget" 'n I never got past the terminal part. OOPS! Yeah, Windows 11 Pro is my primary OS, and I avoid the terminal unless I absolutely have to use it. I've used Free Download Manager for years 'n years, and have added it to my various Porteus installations. It can be paused 'n a bunch of other stuff, plus it can handle Torrents. Don't recall it ever losing a file for me, but it probably has.

francois
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: xfce plank porteus nemesis
Location: Le printemps, le printemps, le printemps... ... l'hiver s'essoufle.

No package manager????

Post#15 by francois » 25 Nov 2022, 04:07

@goshante:
Are you a family member of padre dougal?

@all:
He might be padre dougal reincarnation or the kind as was bleah:
No package manager????

I cannot find padre original posts thru google search. He was a lot more refined and colourful. :happy62:
Prendre son temps, profiter de celui qui passe.