Can't Load Smart Card Module in Firefox

Post here if you are a new Porteus member and you're looking for some help.
FairyKid64
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: Porteus Matte

Post#1 by FairyKid64 » 19 Aug 2022, 19:31

Hello. I am new to Porteus, but I like it so far. However, I'm having troubles getting OpenSC working with Firefox. So far what I've done is I've downloaded OpenSC from

Code: Select all

ftp.de.debian.org/debian/pool/main/o/opensc/opensc-pkcs11_0.21.0-1_amd64.deb
Then after that, I right click on the .deb file, and click on the option to convert it to .xzm. Then I copy it to the porteus/modules/ directory. Then I double click it to load it. It creates a

Code: Select all

/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/pkcs11/opensc-pkcs11.so
file as expected. Then I open Firefox, and go to Settings->Privacy & Security->Security Devices->Load->Browse, and choose the /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/pkcs11/opensc-pkcs11.so file. However, then when I click OK, it just says "Unable to add module".

Any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong? Thank you.

beny
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge

Post#2 by beny » 19 Aug 2022, 21:48

FairyKid64
White ninja
White ninja

Post#3 by FairyKid64 » 22 Aug 2022, 14:24

Hi beny. Thanks for that link. I tried those different libraries, downloading them, converting them into .xzm, and then looking for their corresponding .so files and loading them into Firefox, but it still is not working. I tried the latest version of pcsc-lite, perl, and pcsc-tools. pcsc-tools didn't have a .so file in it, but the other two did, and neither worked. Am I doing something wrong here? Is there something I'm doing wrong in installing or converting to .xzm files? After I convert the compressed file into a .xzm file and double click it to activate the module, is there another step I'm missing that actually installs the libraries correctly so they load into Firefox?

beny
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge

Post#4 by beny » 22 Aug 2022, 15:14

hi your smartcard reader do not have driver or firmware to install? what is the model of reader please and is card plug in or wifi.../usr/lib64/bit4id/libbit4xpki.so this is the one that i use it

FairyKid64
White ninja
White ninja

Post#5 by FairyKid64 » 22 Aug 2022, 21:50

The smart card reader I'm using is a Identiv SCR3310v2.0 USB Smart Card Reader (https://www.amazon.com/Identiv-SCR3310v ... 538&sr=8-2). I've used it with Windows 10 and also other Linux distros, and I've never had a problem with it. I really think there is just something I'm doing wrong with Porteus and/or Firefox. How did you get the /usr/lib64/bit4id/libbit4xpki.so ? I don't see it.

beny
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge

Post#6 by beny » 22 Aug 2022, 22:19

hi this is for a smart card reader bit4id, but you have this take a look please: https://support.identiv.com/scr3310v2/
ok, try this package install and try again: this is a generic list of card and reader that pcsc need to work.
https://slakfinder.org/index.php?act=se ... e=#results

beny
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge

Post#7 by beny » 23 Aug 2022, 03:24

hi, using arch linux a lot i have forgot that porteus and slackware start daemon located in /etc/rc.d/rc.pcscd start, in console to start the pcsc daemon.