Can't Input Location In Save File Manager[SOLVED]

Post here if you are a new Porteus member and you're looking for some help.
Boyney
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: Porteus

Can't Input Location In Save File Manager[SOLVED]

Post#1 by Boyney » 18 Jul 2022, 23:30

Porteus Live is requiring me to use a save.dat file for persistence My USB drive is set up with one 1.0GB partition (FAT32) for the boot files, and the rest for persistence (ext4). But, when I open the Porteus Save File Manager and try to create a file, the dumbest problem occurs. I can't type in the Location textbox, and the button next to it does absolutely nothing! Is there a way to access it with the terminal, do I have to right click something, what do I do?

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Can't Input Location In Save File Manager

Post#2 by Ed_P » 18 Jul 2022, 23:53

Knowing what version and DE you're referring to would help Boyney.

If you're saving changes to an ext4 partition, what do you need a Save File for? The save.dat file is for users saving changes on FAT32/exFAT/NTFS partitions.
Ed

ncmprhnsbl
DEV Team
DEV Team
Distribution: v5.0-64bit

Post#3 by ncmprhnsbl » 18 Jul 2022, 23:58

hi, welcome to porteus :)
could be a bug
but, if you are prepared to use a 'save folder' instead of a 'save file'(.dat) , you're already half way there, because : "and the rest for persistence (ext4)"
all you need to do is point your /boot/syslinux/porteus.cfg at a folder in the ext4 partition ie.
change line:

Code: Select all

APPEND changes=/porteus
to

changes=/path/folder
where /path/folder might be /dev/sdb2/changes

changes=UUID:STrING-0F-ChARACtERS/path/folder
alternatively, you could also place the entire /porteus folder(not boot and EFI folders) on the second partiton and leave /boot/syslinux/porteus.cfg as is.. and porteus will automatically find it and use 'changes folder' there..
Forum Rules : https://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=44

Boyney
Ronin
Ronin

Post#4 by Boyney » 19 Jul 2022, 00:21

Ed_P wrote:
18 Jul 2022, 23:53
Knowing what version and DE you're referring to would help Boyney.

If you're saving changes to an ext4 partition, what do you need a Save File for? The save.dat file is for users saving changes on FAT32/exFAT/NTFS partitions.
I'm using Porteus KDE version 5.0rc2.

The reason I need a save file is because whenever I start up the live USB, it says it won't save data. I read the file it refers to, and it tells me to set up a save.dat. I've tried setting the following cheat codes in the config file:

from=/mnt/sdb2/
changes=/mnt/sdb2/
but neither worked. I did verify that /mnt/sdb2/ should be the correct mount point for my large ext4 partition.
ncmprhnsbl wrote:
18 Jul 2022, 23:58
hi, welcome to porteus :)
could be a bug
but, if you are prepared to use a 'save folder' instead of a 'save file'(.dat) , you're already half way there, because : "and the rest for persistence (ext4)"
all you need to do is point your /boot/syslinux/porteus.cfg at a folder in the ext4 partition ie.
change line:

APPEND changes=/porteus
to

changes=/path/folder
where /path/folder might be /dev/sdb2/changes

changes=UUID:STrING-0F-ChARACtERS/path/folder
alternatively, you could also place the entire /porteus folder(not boot and EFI folders) on the second partiton and leave /boot/syslinux/porteus.cfg as is.. and porteus will automatically find it and use 'changes folder' there..
I tried commenting out the from= portion and changing the changes= to:

changes=/mnt/sdb2/changes
but nothing changes. I also moved the Porteus folder, and it just errored out when trying to boot.

ncmprhnsbl
DEV Team
DEV Team
Distribution: v5.0-64bit

Post#5 by ncmprhnsbl » 19 Jul 2022, 02:25

i wouldn't recommend using 5.0rc2, it's two years old, built on an outdated package base and unlikely to find compatible packages for..
you definitely don't need the from= cheatcode
and the changes= needs to be in the /boot/syslinux/porteus.cfg (not the /porteus/porteus-v5.0-x86_64.cfg file)
and when placing entire /porteus folder on /sdb2 make sure the original APPEND changes=/porteus is in /boot/syslinux/porteus.cfg
Forum Rules : https://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=44

Boyney
Ronin
Ronin

Post#6 by Boyney » 19 Jul 2022, 22:44

ncmprhnsbl wrote:
19 Jul 2022, 02:25
i wouldn't recommend using 5.0rc2, it's two years old, built on an outdated package base and unlikely to find compatible packages for..
you definitely don't need the from= cheatcode
and the changes= needs to be in the /boot/syslinux/porteus.cfg (not the /porteus/porteus-v5.0-x86_64.cfg file)
and when placing entire /porteus folder on /sdb2 make sure the original APPEND changes=/porteus is in /boot/syslinux/porteus.cfg
After upgrading to the latest version of Porteus, this bug is fixed! Thank you for your help.