Persistant Firefox

Post here if you are a new Porteus member and you're looking for some help.
Signal
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: 7-17-2022

Persistant Firefox

Post#1 by Signal » 17 Jul 2022, 19:32

Hello,

First post. All I want to do is install Firefox on my thumb drive distro of Porteus so it persists after a reboot using the option "Run From RAM" I come from the Debian world, and this distro is like from Alice in Wonderland to me.

Looking at the Porteus manual I see this under “Unified Slackware Package Manager (USM)”:

"USM is a package manager for Porteus. It is a hybrid CLI/GUI applications <sic> which means you may run it from a root terminal (type: usm) or as a GUI from the desktop menu."

I went to the Terminal and typed “usm” and it came back with “command not found”. I typed “sudo usm” and it said “command not found”. There is also nothing to tell me where the GUI is in the USM documentation. I want to use the GUI. I looked around in the distro and didn’t find anything that said USM. Can anyone tell me where to find the GUI USM please.

Sadly, I know there are several additional painful steps to learn to accomplish getting this usually simple 1-minute task of installing Firefox on my thumb drive , but I’m going to slog on simply because Porteus is just so..damn..fast. Anyone out there up to the task of explaining this process to me?

Thanks a lot,

Signal

ncmprhnsbl
DEV Team
DEV Team
Distribution: v5.0-64bit

Persistant Firefox

Post#2 by ncmprhnsbl » 17 Jul 2022, 23:48

hi, welcome to porteus forum :)
Signal wrote:
17 Jul 2022, 19:32
Looking at the Porteus manual I see this under “Unified Slackware Package Manager (USM)”:
some of our documentation is outdated, usm is no longer with us..
for Firefox (or other browsers) there is: menu>network>"Browser Selection and Update Tool" , this will supply a browser in module form, which may need to be copied from /tmp to <your_usb>/porteus/modules folder
for general package management there's cli tool: slackpkg (beware, it's far from intuitive)
package management (and dependency resolution) is a perpetual issue in this slackware based porteus.
Forum Rules : https://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=44