ext4 or xfs? Nvidia module/s?

Post here if you are a new Porteus member and you're looking for some help.
Karmi
Samurai
Samurai
Distribution: Linux

Post#1 by Karmi » 08 Jul 2022, 19:56

Porteus 5.0 Cinnamon. I have more questions but these two look like quick answers. 1) Have seen some posts 'n replies about xfs format 'n wondered what y'all thought about xfs compared to ext4 for Porteus. I'm testing xfs on a 32 GB SanDisk Ultra USB right now 'n it seems good - 360 MiB fat32 & 28.29 GiB xfs partitions - set up for root auto boots. My saved modules from other Porteus formats seem to work wid xfs also. 2) Have a Nvidia GeForce 1660 Super on main Linux machine (also main Linux test machine) and wondered if there are Nvidia modules and/or if the drivers are easy to add. The nouveau driver is fine, but I wanted to test Porteus with a Nvidia driver...

beny
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge

Post#2 by beny » 08 Jul 2022, 21:13

hi, if you have the changes directory,the devel module and the crippled source kernel you can download the nvidia driver for your video card that is a .run boot the system in text mode that is init 3 and run the nvidia script you have also blacklist the nouveau module in modprobe.d if you try in this way you can add the lib32 support when the nvidia installer ask you too,the gcc compiler have to match the system and the kernel build,if you want to try....

nanZor
Shogun
Shogun
Distribution: Porteus 5.01 x86-64 LXQT

Post#3 by nanZor » 08 Jul 2022, 21:24

We have to be careful to keep the recent discovery of XFS for the save-file container format being the only one that is working, vs the filesystem of the physical device itself.

So from that aspect of what to lay down on your *physical media*, my tendency is to choose a journaled filesystem (XFS, EXT4, ReiserFS).

The only reason being that from a portable aspect, there is always the chance of not shutting down properly, pulling a stick / power-off from coworker yanking an ac power cord etc. The journal gives you a better chance of survival as compared to a stick yanked with ext2.

The other aspect is if you are going to support that filesystem directly on another box to manually share files - ie if you put an ext4 formatted Porteus stick into a *non modified stock* Chromebook, it will be recognized naturally with the oem o/s.

ReiserFS is being deprecated, so in 10 years from now, if you boot some other distro, and want to grab files from your decade-old Porteus stick with reiserfs on it, that new distro may not have reiserfs support.

With large usb storage so cheap these days, and since Porteus for me is not an enterprise-level system, the days of using non-journaled filesystems like ext2 only are over.

So perhaps choose based on some other criteria that best fits *your* needs - otherwise we end up in a bike-shed filesystem war. :)
That's a UNIX book - cool. -Garth

Karmi
Samurai
Samurai

Post#4 by Karmi » 08 Jul 2022, 22:21

beny wrote:
08 Jul 2022, 21:13
hi, if you have the changes directory,the devel module and the crippled source kernel you can download the nvidia driver for your video card that is a .run boot the system in text mode that is init 3 and run the nvidia script you have also blacklist the nouveau module in modprobe.d if you try in this way you can add the lib32 support when the nvidia installer ask you too,the gcc compiler have to match the system and the kernel build,if you want to try....
Thanks for the quick answer 'n useful info, beny! Too advanced for me, and the nouveau driver is working great. :worship:

Karmi
Samurai
Samurai

Post#5 by Karmi » 08 Jul 2022, 22:31

nanZor wrote:
08 Jul 2022, 21:24
We have to be careful to keep the recent discovery of XFS for the save-file container format being the only one that is working, vs the filesystem of the physical device itself.

So from that aspect of what to lay down on your *physical media*, my tendency is to choose a journaled filesystem (XFS, EXT4, ReiserFS).

The only reason being that from a portable aspect, there is always the chance of not shutting down properly, pulling a stick / power-off from coworker yanking an ac power cord etc. The journal gives you a better chance of survival as compared to a stick yanked with ext2.

The other aspect is if you are going to support that filesystem directly on another box to manually share files - ie if you put an ext4 formatted Porteus stick into a *non modified stock* Chromebook, it will be recognized naturally with the oem o/s.

ReiserFS is being deprecated, so in 10 years from now, if you boot some other distro, and want to grab files from your decade-old Porteus stick with reiserfs on it, that new distro may not have reiserfs support.

With large usb storage so cheap these days, and since Porteus for me is not an enterprise-level system, the days of using non-journaled filesystems like ext2 only are over.

So perhaps choose based on some other criteria that best fits *your* needs - otherwise we end up in a bike-shed filesystem war. :)
Hi nanZor...thanks for quick reply! Yeah, I will test the xfs some more, but probably stick wid the ext4 since I am use to using it...especially since ext4 is running so good on the new 5.0. I've already had to edit the porteus.cfg file whilst using the xfs format...the clock was wrong on it, so had to add something like 'timezone=America New_York' - whatever that cheat code was. That fixed it...didn't have that issue wid the ext4 format. Thanks again, nanZor!

beny
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge

Post#6 by beny » 08 Jul 2022, 22:34

hi, if you use the device with porteus in a portable way the nouveau driver and mesa are the best way to video driver for a lot of pc and notebook.

ncmprhnsbl
DEV Team
DEV Team
Distribution: v5.0-64bit

Post#7 by ncmprhnsbl » 09 Jul 2022, 00:12

Karmi wrote:
08 Jul 2022, 19:56
I wanted to test Porteus with a Nvidia driver...
see pick_a_mirror /x86_64/Porteus-v5.0/kernel/08-nvidia-470.129.06-k.5.18.8-porteus-v5.0-x86_64.xzm
this is not the best driver for your card , this one is the latest https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverR ... 414/en-us/ (515.57)
i imagine the 470 could possibly work for your card just not have all the latest features supported..
my card is older, hence why i provided the 470.. it might be possible for me to build the 515, but i can't test it.. i'll have a look at this later..

if you(or anyone else) do want to try building it yourself, i suggest reading this topic:
[HOWTO] make a xzm module driver for NVIDIA video card
and using the nvidia.sh script provided in it to produce the module..
Forum Rules : https://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=44

Karmi
Samurai
Samurai

Post#8 by Karmi » 09 Jul 2022, 00:24

beny wrote:
08 Jul 2022, 22:34
hi, if you use the device with porteus in a portable way the nouveau driver and mesa are the best way to video driver for a lot of pc and notebook.
'Antec Jr.' is one of my older builds, that I use for testing 'n using Linux OSes - Antec Sonata Proto case (big case), 3 different kinds of SATA Hot Swap Bays, a Gigabyte Z390 UD MoBo, VENGEANCE® LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) kit, Intel® Core™ i9-9900 Processor, GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER™ VENTUS XS OC GPU, and a DVD-rom. I use Porteus 5.0 Cinnamon, Sparky 7 Cinnamon and Fedora 36 Cinnamon SPIN on it permanently...they share a 7-port switched USB Hub (they are all on USBs). Switch them off when testing other Distros or using Win11 Pro. Not a portable device - ;) - but the Linux OSes are all portable. Yeah, the nouveau driver still works great even wid this setup. Was mainly asking about the Nvidia driver to see if it would be easy to setup, but options were too advanced to risk messing up 5.0 at this point, i.e. it is performing excellently for what I am using it for - my main 'Working' Linux OS. Thanks for the new info tho...oh, I also have 5.0rc3 on a converted Chromebook, and am going to replace that wid Porteus 5.0 Cinnamon within the next few days...

Karmi
Samurai
Samurai

Post#9 by Karmi » 09 Jul 2022, 00:34

ncmprhnsbl wrote:
09 Jul 2022, 00:12
Karmi wrote:
see pick_a_mirror /x86_64/Porteus-v5.0/kernel/08-nvidia-470.129.06-k.5.18.8-porteus-v5.0-x86_64.xzm
this is not the best driver for your card , this one is the latest https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverR ... 414/en-us/ (515.57)
i imagine the 470 could possibly work for your card just not have all the latest features supported..
my card is older, hence why i provided the 470.. it might be possible for me to build the 515, but i can't test it.. i'll have a look at this later..

if you(or anyone else) do want to try building it yourself, i suggest reading this topic:
Thanks ncmprhnsbl! Yeah, I have tested both those Nvidia drivers wid this card, and they both work fine. I will give that 470 a shot since it looks in module form already (?). Don't go out of you way to build anything...this 5.0 Cinnamon is GREAT already! Build my own driver - hahaahahaaaahaaa! I'll pass...but will test that 470 'n check out what's involved wid that 515...thanks!

Karmi
Samurai
Samurai

Post#10 by Karmi » 09 Jul 2022, 02:39

ncmprhnsbl wrote:
09 Jul 2022, 00:12
Karmi wrote:

Module for 470 driver worked fine. Can't figure out how to exit X server for the 515 driver...will probably need to disable nouveau driver permanently (?). Installing then would probably require Ctrl+Alt+F1 back to TTY console, then login 'n cd to Downloads 'n enter - sh ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-515.57.run - something like I use to do wid Fedora & CentOS. I'll check out that [HOWTO] next... :hmmm:

ncmprhnsbl
DEV Team
DEV Team
Distribution: v5.0-64bit

Post#11 by ncmprhnsbl » 09 Jul 2022, 05:11

Karmi wrote:
09 Jul 2022, 02:39
Can't figure out how to exit X server for the 515 driver...will probably need to disable nouveau driver permanently (?). Installing then would probably require Ctrl+Alt+F1 back to TTY console, then login 'n cd to Downloads 'n enter - sh ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-515.57.run - something like I use to do wid Fedora & CentOS. I'll check out that [HOWTO] next...
hold fire on that, i've build one and uploading now..
here you go: 08-nvidia-515.57-k.5.18.8-porteus-v5.0-x86_64.xzm md5sum: ef25c08297efe483bbba9d820ec26460
note that k.5.18.8 refers to the kernel it's built for ie. if change that kernel the driver will need to be rebuilt for it.
if it works for you i'll upload it to the porteus server..
Forum Rules : https://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=44

Karmi
Samurai
Samurai

Post#12 by Karmi » 09 Jul 2022, 11:13

ncmprhnsbl wrote:
09 Jul 2022, 05:11
Karmi wrote:
Can't figure out how to exit X server for the 515 driver...will probably need to disable nouveau driver permanently (?). Installing then would probably require Ctrl+Alt+F1 back to TTY console, then login 'n cd to Downloads 'n enter - sh ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-515.57.run - something like I use to do wid Fedora & CentOS. I'll check out that [HOWTO] next...
here you go: 08-nvidia-515.57-k.5.18.8-porteus-v5.0-x86_64.xzm md5sum: ef25c08297efe483bbba9d820ec26460
note that k.5.18.8 refers to the kernel it's built for ie. if change that kernel the driver will need to be rebuilt for it.
I messed something up earlier, so this 515 was saying "Unknown file type," so I tested some more 'n found that the 470 was doing the same thing - it had worked before. Thusly, I messed up something whilst trying to exit X server 'n disable nouveau driver. Have a Clonezilla image of before the Nvidia driver tests, so no biggie. I'm going to create another 5.0 installation on a test USB, and use it just for the 515 tests...Will update when I know more...Thanks!

beny
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge

Post#13 by beny » 09 Jul 2022, 11:52

if you want blacklist nouveau: in modprobe.d make a script with this :but the kernel version for nvidia driver is mandatory can work only for the build version.
# generated by nvidia-installer
blacklist nouveau
options nouveau modeset=0

Karmi
Samurai
Samurai

Post#14 by Karmi » 09 Jul 2022, 12:25

ncmprhnsbl wrote:
09 Jul 2022, 05:11
Karmi wrote:
BTW, I don't know much about Graphic drivers. OK...515 module activated, but after reboot a popup said check Video drivers & that hardware was running w/o hardware acceleration (??). 640 x 480 resolution only. Deleted that module, rebooted back into nouveau driver, and activated the 470 module...rebooted & it worked fine. Same computer, running Win11 Pro, GeForce Experience shows me wid latest 516.59...so apparently the card is OK wid bigger versions in Windows (??).
Last edited by Karmi on 09 Jul 2022, 12:31, edited 1 time in total.

Karmi
Samurai
Samurai

Post#15 by Karmi » 09 Jul 2022, 12:30

beny wrote:
09 Jul 2022, 11:52
if you want blacklist nouveau: in modprobe.d make a script with this :but the kernel version for nvidia driver is mandatory can work only for the build version.
# generated by nvidia-installer
blacklist nouveau
options nouveau modeset=0
Hi beny. Yeah, ncmprhnsbl linked to a 470 Nvidia module that worked fine, and we are now testing a 515 module that he made...with hardware acceleration issues right now. I decided against trying the blacklist method at this point. Thanks for info!