Hardware Compatibility

Post here if you are a new Porteus member and you're looking for some help.
kjthewicked
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: Porteus

Hardware Compatibility

Post#1 by kjthewicked » 24 Jun 2022, 12:35

Hello everyone! I've used linux distros on and off for awhile, but I work for an MSP that recently signed up a shop that uses Porteus running on Intel Compute Sticks.

Of course, one of their most important Compute Sticks decides that today is the day its wireless will die, and the previous IT company didn't have any spares for them. To top it all off, it looks like Intel discontinued the compute stick line entirely, and I don't really want to overpay for a who-knows-what-condition identical model replacement from Amazon.

I apologize if I missed it, but I was curious if there is a hardware compatibility list, or if anyone happens to run Porteus on other compute stick like devices - I need to get this device replaced, and, ideally, without trial and error with devices that are not compatible.

Thank you!

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Hardware Compatibility

Post#2 by Ed_P » 24 Jun 2022, 15:49

Hello kj, welcome to Porteus.

There is no hardware compatibility list and I doubt the flash drive is the cause. But to help we need more information. What version of Porteus is having the problem. Have you tried the flash drive in another computer?
Ed

kjthewicked
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: Porteus

Hardware Compatibility

Post#3 by kjthewicked » 27 Jun 2022, 16:56

Hello Ed - thank you for your reply!

My concern wasn't so much in troubleshooting the Porteus portion - I have at least 5 other identical devices that are all connected to the same wireless access point with zero issues, so I am quite sure that the wireless hardware in the one particular device is the issue.

Moreso, I wanted to check if there was a HCL for Porteus, because other distros of Linux I have used will sometimes not natively support certain hardware - IE, my home PC runs Pop_OS for gaming, and I purchased a TP-LINK USB wifi adapter in which I had to compile the driver myself. Which, for me, is fine, but when one of the other techs who aren't familiar with Linux need to work on it, it's a bit untenable.

Thank you for the info on the HCL - I managed to swap devices temporarily, and have ordered a couple different devices to test Porteus on (I don't anticipate any issues, but just wanted to try and avoid any traps that others might know about!).

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Hardware Compatibility

Post#4 by Ed_P » 28 Jun 2022, 01:27

To get support for issues you may encounter kj you need to state which version of Porteus you are having problems with; x86x64, i586, Porteus Kiosk, Porteus 4, Porteus 5rc3, Cinnamon, KDE, LXDE, LXQT, Mate, Openbox, XFCE. :)
Ed