GIMP - help installing it.

Post here if you are a new Porteus member and you're looking for some help.
Karmi
Samurai
Samurai
Distribution: Linux

Post#1 by Karmi » 15 Apr 2022, 20:07

Porteus 5.0-rc3:
I'm about to give up on trying to install GIMP. Some tries have made it to the Menu > Graphics, but it just spins for 5-10 secs 'n stops. 4,098 tries didn't do anything...wink

ncmprhnsbl
DEV Team
DEV Team
Distribution: v5.0-64bit

Post#2 by ncmprhnsbl » 15 Apr 2022, 20:33

Forum Rules : https://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=44

Karmi
Samurai
Samurai

Post#3 by Karmi » 15 Apr 2022, 20:50

ncmprhnsbl wrote:
15 Apr 2022, 20:33
have you tried this one: Gimp 2.10.28 . photo retouching . image composition . painting ?
Guess not since it worked...Thanks!

Fact is...Thanks to the entire Porteus Forum for unbelievable quick replies 'n *ACCURATE* suggestions!

EDIT: I'm using Porteus 5.0-rc3 Cinnamon...

softappweber
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: 0

Post#4 by softappweber » 27 Jun 2022, 16:37

Hi everyone,
Thank you to the author of the post and ncmprhnsbl, the one who replied, I installed GIMP as .xzm file as well. We should all be ready to support Porteus OS as much as posible and as quickly as possible. Proteus is saving lots of my time, which Windows 10 :evil: was wasting since years.

Karmi
Samurai
Samurai

Post#5 by Karmi » 27 Jun 2022, 20:43

softappweber wrote:
27 Jun 2022, 16:37
Hi everyone,
Thank you to the author of the post and ncmprhnsbl, the one who replied, I installed GIMP as .xzm file as well. We should all be ready to support Porteus OS as much as posible and as quickly as possible. Proteus is saving lots of my time, which Windows 10 :evil: was wasting since years.
Yeah, they all have been helpful to me on getting my Porteus Cinnamon 5rc3 up 'n running...running even on a converted Chromebook! ;) They solved many issues I had quickly, if I couldn't get it right on my own.

Yeah, I piddled wid GIMP for awhile 'n then asked for help here. ncmprhnsbl stepped in wid the right solution.

Today I was trying to install balenaEtcher...kept failing. Another thing I've learned here is that a Google search works really great! For example:

"download etcher module for porteus" - which brought back Rava's:

"etcher-bin-1.7.1-x86_64 - KISS Flash OS images to SD cards & USB drive writer utility *updated*" post here, which was Google's first offer. Long post so I looked for a download...Bingo! In German, but Rava interpreted it. Downloaded, moved to modules folder, activated 'n rebooted.

Win11 Pro is my primary OS, but I am trying to move more of my Linux OS testings to Porteus. Today am testing ArchoLinux's "Carli" and Etcher on Porteus just created that 'Live' bootable media for me...gotta go 'n install it now! ;)

softappweber
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: 0

Post#6 by softappweber » 28 Jun 2022, 04:52

Karmi wrote:
27 Jun 2022, 20:43
softappweber wrote:
27 Jun 2022, 16:37
Hi everyone,
Yeah, they all have been helpful to me on getting my Porteus Cinnamon 5rc3 up 'n running...running even on a converted Chromebook! ;) They solved many issues I had quickly, if I couldn't get it right on my own.

Yeah, I piddled wid GIMP for awhile 'n then asked for help here. ncmprhnsbl stepped in wid the right solution.

Today I was trying to install balenaEtcher...kept failing. Another thing I've learned here is that a Google search works really great! For example:

"download etcher module for porteus" - which brought back Rava's:

"etcher-bin-1.7.1-x86_64 - KISS Flash OS images to SD cards & USB drive writer utility *updated*" post here, which was Google's first offer. Long post so I looked for a download...Bingo! In German, but Rava interpreted it. Downloaded, moved to modules folder, activated 'n rebooted.

Win11 Pro is my primary OS, but I am trying to move more of my Linux OS testings to Porteus. Today am testing ArchoLinux's "Carli" and Etcher on Porteus just created that 'Live' bootable media for me...gotta go 'n install it now! ;)

Duckduckgo dot com is way more precise in search. And best of luck to you!