Resize Porteus?

Post here if you are a new Porteus member and you're looking for some help.
rchase
Shogun
Shogun
Distribution: Porteus 5.0 rc3 xfce

Resize Porteus?

Post#1 by rchase » 02 Mar 2022, 15:27

Is there any way to shrink Porteus installed to an ext4 partition? I used gparted to do so, but booting the resulting image gets as far as displaying "Triggering udev events ..." and adjusting screen resolution then halts (fast-flashing text cursor on next line). It would be nice if there were some means of copying Porteus other than making an exact copy of its partition; if Porteus could be made to reassess the size of its resident partition and the "special" files copied (or rendered unspecial), it would seem possible. I tried to search the forum for related posts, but I could only pull up two pages of results -- requesting the third consistently times out (displaying a white page).

Vic
Samurai
Samurai
Distribution: Porteux V-0.1 64 KDE

Resize Porteus?

Post#2 by Vic » 02 Mar 2022, 17:44

I have had that same problem searching Porteus forums. Try searching with your favorite search engine. Type "site:" without the quotes just before the main website text.
Like so for debian pkgs --- https://packages.site:debian.org/jessie/allpackages SEARCH-TERM
It works for me.

Vektor

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Resize Porteus?

Post#3 by Ed_P » 02 Mar 2022, 18:01

I use site:forum.porteus.org at the front of my Google searches of the Porteus forum.
Ed

rchase
Shogun
Shogun
Distribution: Porteus 5.0 rc3 xfce

Resize Porteus?

Post#4 by rchase » 02 Mar 2022, 18:22

I should amend my question: other than correcting UUIDs and boot devices wherever it is appropriate, is there any problem with using rsync to copy a Porteus installation into a smaller partition? This seems to have worked -- I rsynced (-a) a Porteus installation from a 12-GB partition into an ~5GB partition and after adjusting for the new partition and its UUID, it booted fine and seems perfectly intact.

Thanks for the suggestion about searching -- wish forum could search its own data as well.