My EFI grub for boot porteus

Here is a place for your projects which are not officially supported by the Porteus Team. For example: your own kernel patched with extra features; desktops not included in the standard ISO like Gnome; base modules that are different than the standard ISO, etc...
Bicephale
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge
Distribution: Live CDs

Post#16 by Bicephale » 15 Aug 2021, 16:35

A bit more patching, this time using the Windows YUMI application to offer both i486 and x86_64 Arch Linux flavours of Porteus on a same menu.

It's just a matter of pointers i guess, so intead of patching for Porteus perhaps do it once-for-all by targetting YUMI instead, which i found out to be most friendly except on my UEFI-tablet, so far...

In principle 1 single flash drive can fit them all and i was most pleased to observe that HardInfo v0.6 is actually 'System Profiler and Benchmark', meaning soon i may be able to start making comparisons.

So i probably need to thank the author of Arch Linux Porteus as well. Too bad i had to trade the XZM repository in exchange, though it seems the AppImage format will self-execute when double-clicked.

Resolution was an insoluble barrier on my Acer 32 bits NoteBook at 1024 x 600 but it won't matter with the other tablet which is Full-HD, with some additional bonus. Ah, and PLoP booted fine too!

I wish this were less involving and yet the railway picture alone kept me returning with hope it seemed.

:good:

guilhermerso
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: Kiosk ThinClient

Post#17 by guilhermerso » 09 Sep 2021, 08:59

Hello! Does anyone get this to work in UEFI PXE environment?

Bicephale
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge
Distribution: Live CDs

Post#18 by Bicephale » 10 Sep 2021, 04:09

I'd have to setup a server 1st. My router's only server is FTP...

tsisaris
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: Porteus

Post#19 by tsisaris » 13 Dec 2023, 01:44

I would like to install Linux Porteus on my Acer Aspire SW5-012 tablet. It has an atom processor which is 64-bit but a UEFI bootloader which is 32-bit. I was told that I could use Grub2 and make 64-bit Porteus compatible. I have had no luck. I really need a step-by-step walk-through for everything. Can you help me?
Thank you,
Shawn

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Post#20 by Ed_P » 13 Dec 2023, 06:16

Shawn a 64 bit Porteus USB system will boot on a UEFI system if the USB drive is formatted as FAT32 and all the files and folders in the ISO are copied to the USB drive and the appropriate /boot/Porteus-Installer is run. The FAT32 disk format is a requirement of UEFI not the OS. And Porteus's EFI folder on my system uses the bootx64.efi file not a 32 bit app.

These are a couple of my Grub2 menus for booting a Porteus USB drive.

Code: Select all

menuentry " Porteus 5.0 USB - EFI" --class slackware   --class user-icon-porteus  {

set bootmgr=/EFI/boot/bootx64.efi          #grubx64.efi    

set bootdrv=$root
     search -f $bootmgr --set=root
     echo bootmgr: $bootmgr
     sleep -v -i 3
     if [ $root != $bootdrv ]; then
        chainloader $bootmgr
     else
        echo "----------------------------------------"
        echo USB drive NOT found.
        echo
        sleep -v -i 10
     fi
     set root=$bootdrv
     }

menuentry " Porteus 5.0 USB - AF'" --class slackware   --class user-icon-porteus  {

set porteus_parms="volume=33 reboot=cold extramod=/Modules"   # changes=EXIT:/changes/porteussave.dat"

set bootdrv=$root
     search -f /boot/syslinux/vmlinuz --set=root
     if [ $root != $bootdrv ]; then
        linux  /boot/syslinux/vmlinuz $porteus_parms
        initrd /boot/syslinux/initrd.xz
     else
        echo "----------------------------------------"
        echo USB drive NOT found.
        echo
        sleep -v -i 10
     fi
     set root=$bootdrv