My EFI grub for boot porteus

Here is a place for your projects which are not officially supported by the Porteus Team. For example: your own kernel patched with extra features; desktops not included in the standard ISO like Gnome; base modules that are different than the standard ISO, etc...
luuvki
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: linux

Post#1 by luuvki » 29 Mar 2021, 17:49

I use Porteus as my linux distro, its fast to boot and this is reason why i use it, i have feeling to share my EFI configuration, i tweak configs from KDE neon (its kubuntu fork) and i add porteus menu items, i tested it on 64bit and i go test 32 on baytrail tablets (i post here the result), this use a grub instead a syslinux,..

here is link to test https://ulozto.net/file/5ZUAUAFyt9lj/porteus-efi-tar-gz

update: it works on tablet with bootia32.efi but need to have .disks folder, i get files from KDE neon CD

https://ulozto.net/file/jaLWL3FQ75Fp/po ... ate-tar-gz

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Post#2 by Ed_P » 29 Mar 2021, 19:45

Thank you luuvki. Your grub code looks like grub2 code, is it?
Ed

luuvki
White ninja
White ninja

Post#3 by luuvki » 29 Mar 2021, 20:10

Yes, i get files from KDE neon ISO, what i change is only grub.cfg, i find that 32bit bootia32.efi need .disks folder, i read more from wikis, very good about this problematic about grug is here on the wiki of the tails distro https://gitlab.tails.boum.org/tails/blu ... FI/32-bit/

i think best way for me is only get ISO of existing distro and change config only.

Bicephale
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge
Distribution: Live CDs

Post#4 by Bicephale » 10 May 2021, 16:33

Hello!

In case this may fit the discussion i've got lucky hacking Linuxium for Atom laptops, the problem being the machine's UEFi boot procedure excluded many .ISOs including Porteus. So i merged both and here i come, with a few years delay - must have been busy... :hi:

Thanks for all the thought food in any case!!

:thumbsup:

luuvki
White ninja
White ninja

Post#5 by luuvki » 18 Jun 2021, 23:12

Hi I am very happy now I have implement on my usb key a EFI for bootia32 and bootx64 witthout hacking a ubuntu cds, i use binary from refind iso, only one EFI copy to 32bit ISO or this some to 64bit.

it works on my ASUS vivobook 203na
and 32bit works on tablet umax 8wi

important to say is that is for 32bit need a 32bit kernel and 32bit portues.

here is package: https://uloz.to/file/fKctXoVK6Rf3/refin ... Z3GwHlBD==

Bicephale
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge

Post#6 by Bicephale » 06 Jul 2021, 22:38

Hi,

The InsigniaFlex 11.6 "transformer" tablet seemed promissing a while ago but i faced issues, in retrospective, especially after a 128GB uSD flash drive was acquired to create room for downloads, multimedia, repo packages, etc. I'm always keeping in mind that, at least in principle, even the newbie/elder users should be able to manage with a Linux installation on it... It's a hobby, so i needed this long to get my 1st serious candidate under the form of Fedora34; which almost only involved the creation of a flash unit via Rufus Portable. The exact bootable image-file is 'Fedora-Workstation-Live-x86_64-34-1.2.iso' and all updates raised its kernel version to 5.12 as i recall. For that reason i became hopeful for its touchscreen to function at last, because when detached from its keyboard the only control input that's left is from wireless headphones (skip song/pause). Though i yet ain't tested an MCE remote via its USB/LiRC-compatible peripheral, not other BlueTooth devices as a mouse/keyboard set. On another hand my xbox360 Logitech gamepad clone appeared to respond OK in Dolphin v5, so im about ready to evaluate legacy games soon i guess. In RAM-only mode Proteus would certainly feel twice as lightweight and now i got fair confidence it's just a matter of time for all the missing bits to fall into place, even the touchscreen, eventually.

In any case i've proven guilty of being an absent forum fellow, while a generous member happened to offer exactly what i may have been looking for back then. Thanks for passing by Luuvki, i took note of the rFind suggestion! No promisses made.

;)

Bicephale
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge

Post#7 by Bicephale » 06 Jul 2021, 22:42

P.S.: Actually i plain cheated since this required the "NCard" (main) Win10 partition to be sacrificed, never managing to boot directly from the internal uSD flash reader instead.

:oops:

luuvki
White ninja
White ninja

Post#8 by luuvki » 13 Jul 2021, 20:48

I Can boot 32bit porteus with my refindporteus package but no sound and no wifi i must say i want create Linux tablet but Intel z3745 cpu not good fór Pc its good maybe fór calculator ;)

Bicephale
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge

Post#9 by Bicephale » 13 Jul 2021, 21:22

Sound, WiFi and mousepad all work on my "atom" x5-Z8300 tablet running multiple other systems, which invites to avoid confusing peripherals vs some particular bootloader, OS or processor.

Please tell us, have you considered giving Linuxium its fair try recently? How about its "isorespin" procedure (http :// www . linuxium . com . au / how-tos)?? ^_^

Any chance evaluating Fedora WS, since success would be constitute incentive to return with Porteus which prove to offer advantages depending on a hardware context exactly...

As for calculators, i intend to have an HP-48 emulator once i get there. Besides multi-media, web browsing, etc.

:hi:

luuvki
White ninja
White ninja

Post#10 by luuvki » 05 Aug 2021, 21:10

yupii, now i have working EFI for 32 and 64bit bootloader, based on linuxium boot files and pclinuxos theme :D when you want you can try it its works! i am happy, porteus can boot on Baytrail tablet.
https://ulozto.net/file/j2E2a42sAjBj/ef ... 1617618065

luuvki
White ninja
White ninja

Post#11 by luuvki » 05 Aug 2021, 21:12

i test it on Yoga 2 8 inch windows 8.1 tablet, its boot but sound and wifi doesnt work. i goes tets in on umax 8wi where i have time:D

Bicephale
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge

Post#12 by Bicephale » 06 Aug 2021, 14:34

Thanks for 'efi-32-64-zip' which i intend to give a fair try soon, while other things like the AppImage of HardInfo awaits equal additional attention, since this might ease my task of dealing with missing drivers relative to external USB devices! Hoping it could be a lucky day when the time comes.

:clover:

Bicephale
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge

Post#13 by Bicephale » 07 Aug 2021, 10:50

Good and bad news. Using the Windows 'UltraISO' utility it was real easy & convenient to patch 'Porteus-XFCE-v5.0rc3-x86_64.iso' with 'efi-32-64', the bad news being that while it makes Porteus behave normally on my CherryTrail tablet that's leading to some blank/black hard-lock if i dare pick the non-UEFI alternative rendered accessible via AMI's hybrid boot loader on my table PC. The proof of potential universality is made for me, in principle 1 single .ISO should expand my choice of booting options.

I had interest in cheking the 'Porteus Kernel Builder' (v21.08.06, x64) utility but a wrong display resolution issue made that a brief evaluation... While the XFCE version makes the adjustment relatively easy to find. So, IMO language, keyboard layout and display resolution need to appear on a GrUB2 menu some day!

luuvki
White ninja
White ninja

Post#14 by luuvki » 07 Aug 2021, 18:45

Here is some after 8pm and i have spare time for play with linux, i go install Porteus on Yoga 2 tablet 8inch is and i want make it functional, maybe i failed and go back to windows 8.1, :D there are more cheap windows tablets with Baytrail cpus, and i say i allways want linux tablet :D

this tablet have Z3745 cpu ? and i need patch sound card https://github.com/plbossart/UCM

maybe wifi doesnt work and so

32G EMMC is good for one partition formated as FAT32 with ESP,BOOT and GPT part table or make one small FAT32 for boot,efi folder and Porteus folder put to ext4 formated last second part and put changes on it

Bicephale
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge

Post#15 by Bicephale » 09 Aug 2021, 12:22

Z8300 from memory. The tablet has 2 advantages: #1) it's Full-HD; #2) it's a tablet with detacheable keyboard. Plus there's a miniature HDMi plug and USB-C, too bad the later is alone, but it offers an earphones plug too, although i much prefer bluetooth listening these day. All peripherals currently work under Linux except the TouchScreen feature, which felt a bit jerky anyway...

Porteus can be installed on 1 of 2 ext4 partitions and being a UEFi-only tablet both Linux OSes depend on a 3rd partition effectively formatted as FAT32 and marked "boot,esp" i think. Etc., etc. All beautifully handled by Linuxium which installed GrUB2 and a boot menu correctly. Not all .ISOs i tried do, on the contrary.

If i were to shop around for more challenges i'd likely pick one of those HDMi sticks one can carry in a pocket and plug to any HDMi-compatible monitor, but that means also carrying around input peripherals, as a remote control, a keyboard or both. Processing power would be required to suffice at running my favourite Mario Bros and PacMan game emulators + proper gamepads drivers...

It's no full-time hoby but a side-by-side Porteus install is most probable. 1st as a read-only .ISO perhaps. :hmmm: