Porteus-v1.1.474-i486 aka 32 bits KDE-4

Here is a place for your projects which are not officially supported by the Porteus Team. For example: your own kernel patched with extra features; desktops not included in the standard ISO like Gnome; base modules that are different than the standard ISO, etc...
wread
Module Guard
Module Guard
Distribution: Porteus v5.0-kde-64 bits

Porteus-v1.1.474-i486 aka 32 bits KDE-4

Post#1 by wread » 10 Jan 2012, 17:42

@all
Porteus v1.1 final is now there! Fine Business, brokenman :Yahoo!: I like the new Package Manager, it is a beauty.

I hing kde4.7.4 on v1.1-i486 final and it works ok. I am posting it in http://wread.4shared.com so you can test it.

I didn't want to strip it down too much, just that it passes in a CD to under 700 MB. Maybe fanthom could make a tween to the 64-bit version out of it. It has nepomuk and akonadi, but no games.

You can run it from iso with a cheat-code. If you already have v1.1 final, and the kde4 iso in your harddisk, say sda1, then start it with from_iso=/dev/sda1/Porteus-v1.1.474-i486.iso as cheatcode.

Enjoy! :beer:
Porteus is proud of the FASTEST KDE ever made.....(take akonadi, nepomuk and soprano out and you will have a decent OS).
The Porteus Community never sleeps!

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Re: Porteus-v1.1.474-i486 aka 32 bits KDE-4

Post#2 by fanthom » 10 Jan 2012, 19:27

hello wread,

thanks for the ISO - downloading now :)
just to let you know that 4shared.com asked me for logging in (eventually creating a new account) for accessing the ISO. probably due to big size of the file.
this may be a stopper for people who wants to give it a shot...

EDIT:\\
to all testers: guest account doesn't work in KDE-4 so you must use 'toroot' cheatcode to get into the KDE-4 desktop.
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#3 by brokenman » 11 Jan 2012, 17:33

My first boot using from_iso used all my memory i think. It was last night so i dont remember the error exactly but something about being lnusertmp .... will try again today.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

wread
Module Guard
Module Guard

Post#4 by wread » 12 Jan 2012, 11:48

@brokenman
Do as fanthom wrote: login with cheatcode toroot from_iso=dev/sda1/Porteus-v1.1.474-i486.iso and it will work ok.
I will try to solve the guest account problem next weekend and post the patch or make a new iso correcting the lnusertemp issue. Sorry.

Regards!
Porteus is proud of the FASTEST KDE ever made.....(take akonadi, nepomuk and soprano out and you will have a decent OS).

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#5 by brokenman » 13 Jan 2012, 00:04

Using toroot got me a little further. I get a flash of the loading splash screen just as the 'loading' icons are about to appear and then it drops me out with an xmessage 'Could not start kdeinit4: check your isntallation'. After closing i get an error about not being able to start some file in the theme directory for oxygen.

Here is my .xsession error log:

Code: Select all

kapplymousetheme: error while loading shared libraries: libqca.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
xset:  bad font path element (#5), possible causes are:
    Directory does not exist or has wrong permissions
    Directory missing fonts.dir
    Incorrect font server address or syntax
startkde: Starting up...
/usr/bin/kdeinit4: error while loading shared libraries: libqca.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
startkde: Could not start kdeinit4. Check your installation.
Warning: Missing charsets in String to FontSet conversion
I then get text mode.

From here i can see that /home/guest has root permissions and /root does not have chmod 755. Resetting these and attempting to startx does not get em anywhere. After these main problems i think it could have an issue with my graphics card.

wread
Module Guard
Module Guard

Post#6 by wread » 13 Jan 2012, 01:20

@brokenman
Meanwhile I found I had some files under rootcopy that made the guest accout fail. I corrected that and now I can start it with cheatcode from_iso and the guest account comes up ok. Starting it with cheatcodes toroot from_iso makes the root account come up accordingly.

Maybe your download is corrupt. It is a pity I didn't put the right md5sum in the iso. At any rate I am uploading the corrected iso now. You can try downloading it tomorrow, as it should take about 2 hours to get uploaded. I will put an Edit when done.

Regards

EDIT: The new iso with the corrections mentioned above is already uploaded. I am downloading it back, burning an iso and testing it. Ok, done, tested in another machine.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#7 by brokenman » 14 Jan 2012, 00:18

Success!

After booting i was again presented with the error: Could not start kdeinit4 and it dropped me out to the KDM login screen. Trying to login as root from there was not successful. Logging in as guest got me in and it is from Porteus-v1.1.474 that i am writing this message.

After having a play around i have to say .... fine business wread!

Posted after 6 minutes 27 seconds:
Screenshot here

It is the one on the far right (blue)

wread
Module Guard
Module Guard

Post#8 by wread » 14 Jan 2012, 23:22

@brokenman
Glad to hear you got it to work!
Try setting virtual desktop to 2 or more and desktop switching to cube; then move the mouse wheel to switch desktops: a sweet bonbon....

Regards

EDIT: BTW, I tried it in an HP machine at home (the kids machine) with an nVidia GForce MX 420 video card and it behaves exactly as described by you. It also ran like honey syrup.... In my machine I have an ATI Radeon Mobility 9200 that runs with stock video driver very fast. Maybe you should try to put it in an USB and change the video driver to nVidia...

I had never done that, but I will try to do it in the kids machine to see how it works.