LXQt 0.16.0 (for Porteus 5 RC2)

Here is a place for your projects which are not officially supported by the Porteus Team. For example: your own kernel patched with extra features; desktops not included in the standard ISO like Gnome; base modules that are different than the standard ISO, etc...
fulalas
DEV Team
DEV Team
Distribution: Porteus

Post#1 by fulalas » 05 Nov 2020, 03:02

Besides LXQt release notes, this new module also sets GTK 2/3 themes that were missing in RC2.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/2nqsw4stc ... .16.0.xzm/
(21.9 MB)

roadie
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge
Distribution: Porteus 5.0-RC1

Post#2 by roadie » 06 Nov 2020, 03:43

fulalas wrote:
05 Nov 2020, 03:02
Besides LXQt release notes, this new module also sets GTK 2/3 themes that were missing in RC2.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/2nqsw4stc ... .16.0.xzm/
(21.9 MB)

It's a very fast desktop on booting, faster than my JWM. The only bug I've yet seen is when trying monitor configuration from the preferences panel. Running lxqt-config-monitor gives this error.

Code: Select all

lxqt-config-monitor
org.kde.kscreen: Failed to request backend: "org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown" : "The name org.kde.KScreen was not provided by any .service files"
Connecting to KScreen...
Error: Config is invalid, probably backend couldn't load

fulalas
DEV Team
DEV Team

Post#3 by fulalas » 06 Nov 2020, 05:51

Nice catch! Totally my fault :D
Try it again (same link).
:good:

roadie
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge

Post#4 by roadie » 06 Nov 2020, 06:28

Yes, that fixed it......it's a lot more impressive desktop than the last time I tried it, course that was a long time ago.

fulalas
DEV Team
DEV Team

Post#5 by fulalas » 06 Nov 2020, 06:45

LXQt is light, and for some tasks it's fast, but in my opinion the development went to the wrong direction (or maybe no direction).

Xfce seems more mature and has better developers. However, the move to GTK3 was bad, and the performance is not as good as it used to be.

Except for some expecific tasks, LXDE is still the lightest and fastest. I miss that responsiveness! We're now living the era of bloatware :sleeping:

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Post#6 by Ed_P » 06 Nov 2020, 16:27

I remember LXQT. I used it when I was starting with linux.

Code: Select all

guest@porteus:/mnt/sda6/ISOs$ ls -slgth *LXQ*
208M -rwxrwxrwx 1 root 208M Feb 22  2016 Porteus-LXQT-v3.1-x86_64-nu-r.iso*
186M -rwxrwxrwx 1 root 186M Feb  2  2015 Porteus-LXQT-v3.1-x86_64-nu.iso*
4.0K -rwxrwxrwx 1 root 3.7K Jan 23  2015 Porteus-LXQT-v3.1.lst*
187M -rwxrwxrwx 1 root 187M Dec 14  2014 Porteus-LXQT-v3.1-x86_64.iso*
guest@porteus:/mnt/sda6/ISOs$ 
Ed

roadie
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge

Post#7 by roadie » 06 Nov 2020, 18:59

fulalas wrote:
06 Nov 2020, 06:45
LXQt is light, and for some tasks it's fast, but in my opinion the development went to the wrong direction (or maybe no direction).

Xfce seems more mature and has better developers. However, the move to GTK3 was bad, and the performance is not as good as it used to be.

Except for some expecific tasks, LXDE is still the lightest and fastest. I miss that responsiveness! We're now living the era of bloatware :sleeping:
I've avoided any Qt applications due to it's reputation as bloatware.......after using JWM, which is about as basic as it gets, others look "fat" pretty easily. Size doesn't seem to matter these days with most distros but that's one of the many reasons I use Porteus.

I'm not sure why, but I just can't take to Xfce, something about it wears on me and every time I try it, I put it aside and go back to whatever I'm using. Any desktop that opens to a wall of icons loses favor very quickly.......petty, I know.......it is what it is.

But this version of LXQt offers decent speed along with some eye candy without hand editing a config file. I expected JWM to be among the fastest to boot to the desktop, but LXQt beats it by about 3 seconds and leaves the rest in it's dust........boot time is kinda meaningless for most users, but I enjoy the challenge.

fulalas
DEV Team
DEV Team

Post#8 by fulalas » 06 Nov 2020, 20:46

Hahaha! Not trying to convincing you to migrate to Xfce, but you can disable desktop icons: right click on desktop -> Desktop Settings... -> Icons tab -> Uncheck everything in 'Default icons' section. If you want to make it the default every time you boot, just need to include in your rootcopy a copy of /home/guest/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-desktop.xml :)

Also, not sure if you have tried RC2 version of Xfce, but I changed a lot of visual things. Now dark theme is the default and paper icon set was replaced by elementary, which in my opinion looks way better in Xfce. I agree that this new Xfce 4.14 is a bit heavier than 4.12 (hence this), but I still think that its simplicity, usability and performance is above all other DEs I've tried so far. Since Porteus has this wonderful feature of modules, you can give it a try pretty easilly and see how it goes. Your feedback and the discussion is, of course, the most interesting part :)

roadie
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge

Post#9 by roadie » 07 Nov 2020, 17:49

fulalas wrote:
06 Nov 2020, 20:46
Hahaha! Not trying to convincing you to migrate to Xfce, but you can disable desktop icons: right click on desktop -> Desktop Settings... -> Icons tab -> Uncheck everything in 'Default icons' section. If you want to make it the default every time you boot, just need to include in your rootcopy a copy of /home/guest/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-desktop.xml :)

Also, not sure if you have tried RC2 version of Xfce, but I changed a lot of visual things. Now dark theme is the default and paper icon set was replaced by elementary, which in my opinion looks way better in Xfce. I agree that this new Xfce 4.14 is a bit heavier than 4.12 (hence this), but I still think that its simplicity, usability and performance is above all other DEs I've tried so far. Since Porteus has this wonderful feature of modules, you can give it a try pretty easilly and see how it goes. Your feedback and the discussion is, of course, the most interesting part :)
Yes, I know these things can be easily changed and saved, it's more of a head thing.......maybe I was assaulted by a wall of icons or something as a child. The mouse background figures into things too, never did like mice.

But I decided to give it an objective looking into, I'm starting with Xfce-4.12 as I like light, and will take on Xfce-4.14 later. I've given a quick report on the Xfce-4.12 thread. So far, I am liking 4.12, it's response time is good, easy to use, and doesn't get in the way.