Firefox Quantum

Here is a place for your projects which are not officially supported by the Porteus Team. For example: your own kernel patched with extra features; desktops not included in the standard ISO like Gnome; base modules that are different than the standard ISO, etc...
Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Firefox Quantum

Post#16 by Ed_P » 24 Feb 2018, 05:25

Rerunning update-firefox should overlay what's in the /tmp directory. Accessing the /tmp directory as root should allow you to delete what's in the /tmp directory.
Ed

Rava
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: XFCE 5.01 x86_64 + 4.0 i586

Firefox Quantum

Post#17 by Rava » 24 Feb 2018, 12:36

yldouright wrote:
24 Feb 2018, 02:05
If you do the "update-firefox" command and incorrectly download the server version, how do you remove it? It's locked in the /tmp directory.
Locked in /tmp, even for root?

Root should be able to remove it from /tmp.

I found one issue with newest Firefox, when you Need to open mhtml files:

From MHTML: Firefox
Firefox was for many years, like most browsers, a good way to both create and read .mht and mhtml files. Mozilla Firefox previously required an extension to be installed to read and write MHT files. Two extensions were freely available, Mozilla Archive Format and UnMHT. Both were rendered non-installable with the advent of "Firefox Quantum" version 57. (Also, neither of them ever implemented support for multi-process mode.)

With the advent of "Quantum" (the version 57 update in late 2017) those extensions, which allowed Firefox to read or write mht & mhtml files no longer were compatible with Firefox. As of 2018 none of these extensions have been updated to function with the Quantum style Firefox browser.

Although Firefox did not (as of version 56) include support for MHTML without the use of add-ons, there was source code available for viewing MHTML files within the related Thunderbird project, indicating that future support in Mozilla software such as Firefox could become available without such add-ons. But as of 2018 it appears unlikely, and Firefox can no longer support writing or reading .mht or .mhtml files due to lack of any working extension.
... Cheers
Cheers!
Yours Rava

yldouright
Black ninja
Black ninja
Distribution: Porteus (slackware 12.1)

Firefox Quantum

Post#18 by yldouright » 27 Feb 2018, 01:56

I put the three aforementioned scripts in a folder named "usm scripts" in my guest Documents directory. When you run the command "update-firefox" and it asks you if you would like to "build" the latest version (v.59), are they asking me to make the module manually and not automatically as happens when you select the server version (v.57)? Does your script allow other depositories not normally associated with Porteus?

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor

Firefox Quantum

Post#19 by Ed_P » 27 Feb 2018, 04:08

yldouright wrote:
27 Feb 2018, 01:56
When you run the command "update-firefox" and it asks you if you would like to "build" the latest version (v.59), are they asking me to make the module manually
No.
Does your script allow other depositories not normally associated with Porteus?
If you're referring to sesm.sh, no.

BTW Previous USM posts moved to here: Porteus - usm error
Ed

yldouright
Black ninja
Black ninja
Distribution: Porteus (slackware 12.1)

Firefox Quantum

Post#20 by yldouright » 27 Feb 2018, 12:43

@Ed_P
Noted and thanks for the off-topic move. The server version of Firefox (v.57) didn't allow me to install "HTTP Everywhere" and reported the add-on appeared to be corrupted. I had no such issue with the v.59 build. One nice surpise I noted was the persistence of the add-ons and about:config settings when moving from v.57 to v.59. Would this persistence have continued if I had deleted the v.57 instead of just deactivating it as I did? I'm really liking Quantum Firefox, it is noticeably faster than Chromium on my 2GHz C2D and it feels more solid than any prior version I've tried.

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor

Firefox Quantum

Post#21 by Ed_P » 27 Feb 2018, 14:03

yldouright wrote:
27 Feb 2018, 12:43
Would this persistence have continued if I had deleted the v.57 instead of just deactivating it as I did?
No idea. Deactivating, then renaming it's .xzm to something else, like xyzm for example, then rebooting would be an option to ensure it's totally gone.
Ed

Macchiato
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: v. 3.2.2

Firefox Quantum

Post#22 by Macchiato » 17 Sep 2018, 21:25

I was using 52.9.esr and the tabs were loading painfully slowly. After I updated to quantum (60.-something esr) it worked very fast. So yes, there was a vast improvement in performance.

Edit: 5.2.8.1, not 5.29