Porteus aKDEmia Edition?

Here is a place for your projects which are not officially supported by the Porteus Team. For example: your own kernel patched with extra features; desktops not included in the standard ISO like Gnome; base modules that are different than the standard ISO, etc...
wread
Module Guard
Module Guard
Distribution: Porteus v5.0-kde-64 bits

Porteus aKDEmia Edition?

Post#1 by wread » 26 May 2014, 14:03

@all
I am preparing a Porteus version for my students; it is oriented on learning how to hack, and should have an appealing look and feel, so the student has a real weapon and do abandon the other OS.......

Main feature is porteus base with a 003-kde FOLDER: inside of it are all the modules that would make 003-kde.xzm (all other modules as usual),
in modules is Cairo-dock and Google-earth and a bunch of myXXsettings.xzm (instead of changes or rootcopy),
in optional the rest of work tools for students: scilab, gnuplot, frame3dd, a CAD program, etc.

First version is now functional, I made it last weekend, based on my files for kde-4.9.5; it looks like this:

I am posting this to see how is the general interest for such an edition :unknown:

Cheers!
Porteus is proud of the FASTEST KDE ever made.....(take akonadi, nepomuk and soprano out and you will have a decent OS).
The Porteus Community never sleeps!

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Re: Porteus aKDEmia Edition?

Post#2 by brokenman » 27 May 2014, 01:45

Love the look. The dock looks really nice. I wonder how the wireless applet works in the dock.

One question though. Why does a student of hacking require a CAD program or even google earth for that matter? As an academic version it looks very nice and should be well received.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

wread
Module Guard
Module Guard

Post#3 by wread » 27 May 2014, 11:25

Hi Jay!
The first question a student coming from Windows ask is: Can I use CAD in Porteus? So I included one...
They also think GE is from MS..... and as it is widely used by engineering students, I included it.

Students also know Mac is of top quality (and price), and are impressed of its dock. In aKDEmia Porteus, the usual panel is still present, I did autohide it, and you can use it at any time -if needed-.

You can drag and drop any *.desktop in cairo-dock and it will assume it, you can move launchers to group them by categories; when you have a satisfying group, you can make a module of it (root/.config/cairo-dock).

I mean the cairo-dock works in every Porteus DE, you can try it.

As of splitting the DE module in its constituting parts, it is the only way to learn where what does which function.
It can be done by all Porteus desktops, to make a "student edition". I think Porteus is "The Distro" for thinking people, and that we in fact are the leaders of this trend. :D

I will report the acceptance of the students of this OS soon.

Regards!
Porteus is proud of the FASTEST KDE ever made.....(take akonadi, nepomuk and soprano out and you will have a decent OS).

RamonTavarez
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: 32 bit, KDE

Post#4 by RamonTavarez » 27 May 2014, 12:16

@Wread

Nice Look! :Bravo:

I' ve tested on Porteus 2.1 and works fine too. :Yahoo!:

As Brokenman, I also think that this a-KDE-mic version of Porteus will be well received, not only by your students at the University, but by anyone else who like that look.

Personally I think that it is a good tool to immunize the mind of the students against the fantasies and lies that they make them see and to believe across the windows. :D (I say it without intention of offending) :twisted:
Ramón E. Tavárez

wread
Module Guard
Module Guard

Post#5 by wread » 27 May 2014, 12:47

Thanks Ramón! :D

wread
Module Guard
Module Guard

Post#6 by wread » 02 Jun 2014, 00:11

The aKDEmia Edition uses a torifyed version of chromium as browser. It features an added plugin already set for the Tor network.

You can experiment it downloading it from here: http://wread.porteus.org/public/KDE-32b ... rking/TOR/

Vidalia, the front end of tor and Tor itself are also needed. :)

Enjoy!

freestyler
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Porteus XFCE

Post#7 by freestyler » 02 Jun 2014, 00:20

Looks like a sweet setup
https://www.porteus-apps.org

francois
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: xfce plank porteus nemesis
Location: Le printemps, le printemps, le printemps... ... l'hiver s'essoufle.

Post#8 by francois » 02 Jun 2014, 01:19

Looks so good, it supercedes elementary os!
Prendre son temps, profiter de celui qui passe.

wread
Module Guard
Module Guard

Post#9 by wread » 06 Jun 2014, 23:11

Porteus aKDEmia doesn't make use of rootcopy......

For one thing: I must teach the students how to make a module and how it functions, how good and quick they are and so on,... and then must explain how rootcopy works....Oh! the old hat!...... and then they get mixed up!

Now I can tell them, rootcopy is more for development purposes and is there but it is not necessary.....Instead I teach them to make separated myXXSettings.xzm modules by scanning memory/changes for each Setting they want to make. (they make myKBDSettings, myLocalTime, myWiFiSettings, myRCLocal, mySmbConf, myCairoDockSettings, etc., etc.) all put in modules.

I read a post from fanthom, he was thinking of eliminate rootcopy and I am testing if it is convenient to live without it.

And I feel modules load quicker!

Regards :)

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#10 by brokenman » 07 Jun 2014, 03:52

There really is no need for rootcopy on a user level. It is VERY useful for dropping a single config file in to test it out without having to remaster a module. I imagine that is why it was designed. What is important to know is that rootcopy is the last layer copied across to the live file system. It will overwrite all other files in it's path. The slow down is negligible.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

donald
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge
Distribution: Porteus 3.2.2 XFCE 32bit

Post#11 by donald » 07 Jun 2014, 11:08

Please do not eliminate rootcopy.
It is very useful for Tests / Experiments because of it's Property
to be always the last layer!!

wread
Module Guard
Module Guard

Post#12 by wread » 07 Jun 2014, 12:27

I am against eliminating rootcopy, too! Of course!
But it must be made clear that it is more a development facility for advanced users. Look, students come knowing how to use MS Win and there is not such a concept (in fact it is all rootcopy there!).

That is why I inverted the order of the cheatcodes by Always Fresh: instead of "base_only norootcopy", I put "norootcopy base_only"; so when you wish to login as root, you (the student) just erase base_only and write "login=root". In all cases If there were something in rootcopy, it won't get installed....

Maybe this is the right philosophy to get Porteus upwards. Newbies are often students.

RFC

francois
Contributor
Contributor

Post#13 by francois » 08 Jun 2014, 03:23

When are you issuing aKDEmia edition. There are testers out here.

wread
Module Guard
Module Guard

Post#14 by wread » 08 Jun 2014, 14:03

@francois
I am still making some adjustments. As soon as I feel comfortable with this edition, I will post it for potential testers :good:

Regards!

francois
Contributor
Contributor

Post#15 by francois » 27 Jul 2014, 14:49

@wread:
I am working with eos now. Interesting dynamic. How is your akdemia edition going?