USM Unified Slackware Package Manager

Here is a place for your projects which are not officially supported by the Porteus Team. For example: your own kernel patched with extra features; desktops not included in the standard ISO like Gnome; base modules that are different than the standard ISO, etc...
brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Re: USM Unified Slackware Package Manager

Post#256 by brokenman » 23 Aug 2014, 10:15

I am not going to delete everything and start fresh everytime you create a new USM or a minor Porteus version
No they shouldn't, and nobody asked you to. I simply asked you to start with a fresh one so we can begin trouble shooting. But is seems you have no interest in finding your problem. Rather pointing the finger. I'm done. You refuse to help yourself.

EDIT: I could fix your savefile in about 2 minutes, but unfortunately you choose to argue and therein to suffer. If you don't follow my instruction (but of course you know better don't you) then stop posting useless crap in this thread. BTW, when you finally get ls --help working then read it. Then you will see why it gives that error. Or complain that the error is in the code, your choice.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

Bogomips
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge
Distribution: 3.2.2 Cinnamon & KDE5

Post#257 by Bogomips » 23 Aug 2014, 14:53

Running always fresh with cpy2ram => Starting each session with unsullied v3.0.1 and pristine /etc/usm/usm.conf, confirmed by:

Code: Select all

root@porteus:/home/guest# md5sum /etc/usm/usm.conf
e5e1c41e8864e0aa7549dcfc71404fba  /etc/usm/usm.conf

guest@porteus:~$ ls -l /tmp/usm/usm*.txz
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 61576 Aug  5 04:43 /tmp/usm/usm-latest-0.0-noarch-1.txz
guest@porteus:~$ tar xJf /tmp/usm/usm-latest-0.0-noarch-1.txz -C /mnt/sda1/Por/usm
guest@porteus:~$ md5sum /mnt/sda1/Por/usm/etc/usm/usm.conf
e5e1c41e8864e0aa7549dcfc71404fba  /mnt/sda1/Por/usm/etc/usm/usm.conf
root@porteus:/home/guest# usm -v
 You are using USM version:  3.1.4
Then removing old package, followed by updating:

guest@porteus:~$ mv /tmp/usm/usm-latest-0.0-noarch-1.txz p10/Por
guest@porteus:~$ ls /tmp/usm/usm*.txz
/bin/ls: cannot access /tmp/usm/usm*.txz: No such file or directory
root@porteus:/home/guest# usm -u usm
Downloading: vercheck.txt  DONE

An update is available for the usm database files.
 Please run:  usm -u all 

A new version of USM is available.
 Would you like to download it now? [y/n]
Downloading: usm-latest-0.0-noarch-1.txz  DONE
  Installing new version now 
usm-latest-0.0-noarch-1:                                                 [320K]

USM was updated successfully
 You are currently using:
 USM-v3.1.5 

root@porteus:/home/guest# md5sum /etc/usm/usm.conf
642fd67595b728e2a7f2e96ab09e989d  /etc/usm/usm.conf

guest@porteus:~$ ls -l /tmp/usm/usm*.txz
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 62280 Aug 22 04:14 /tmp/usm/usm-latest-0.0-noarch-1.txz
might be relevant if nothing has changed in the meantime.
Linux porteus 4.4.0-porteus #3 SMP PREEMPT Sat Jan 23 07:01:55 UTC 2016 i686 AMD Sempron(tm) 140 Processor AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux
NVIDIA Corporation C61 [GeForce 6150SE nForce 430] (rev a2) MemTotal: 901760 kB MemFree: 66752 kB

tome
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: x64 Openbox

Post#258 by tome » 24 Aug 2014, 17:53

Some possibilities for usm:

1. Add "Would you like to install downloaded packages to user defined place (y) (installpkg --root $instpath), to another place (a) or skip (n)? [y/a/n]" question.
--> add $instpath variable to usm.conf.
(easier to build customized modules)
2. Do any trick to keep settings between updates (usm.conf)
3. Add/change "Would you like to create subfolder for the files (y), subfolder with links to the files (a) or skip (n)? [y/a/n]"
(no large duplicates, but easier way to install all dependencies))
4. Add update local/libs.txt (maybe not usefull)
5. Add light database mode (Maybe I'm wrong but I think the largest MANIFEST files are not necessary to download).
6. If usm -s and usm -g are not the same brokenman must update database often, but probably it could be option, tip (open ... and edit wrong line: 0.0.9 to 0.0.10 to solve version problem) or question: Serched package is newer than in your database (v. 0.0.9 vs 0.0.10) "Would you like to treat these update as insignificant/minor_update (the same dependecies) and proceed?" or another trick to solve this issue.
You have mind and feelings. Be wise and clever.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#259 by brokenman » 24 Aug 2014, 21:33

Thanks for your input tome. Some excellent points that I had been planning on addressing in future versions.
1. Add "Would you like to install downloaded packages to user defined place (y) (installpkg --root $instpath), to another place (a) or skip (n)? [y/a/n]" question.
--> add $instpath variable to usm.conf.
Can add this.
2. Do any trick to keep settings between updates (usm.conf)
Perhaps allow a custom path for usm.conf (it is hard coded at the moment) so it isn't clobbered by updates. This would mean moving version control out of this file (Bogomips touched on this earlier)
3. Add/change "Would you like to create subfolder for the files (y), subfolder with links to the files (a) or skip (n)? [y/a/n]"
(no large duplicates, but easier way to install all dependencies))
A little tricky but a possibility
4. Add update local/libs.txt (maybe not usefull)
It is run every time USM is run. In the CLI this is often but in GUI it is whenever GUI is started. Potential for improvement there.
5. Add light database mode (Maybe I'm wrong but I think the largest MANIFEST files are not necessary to download).
The MANIFEST file can be deleted after download. The file OPTIFEST is created from the MANIFEST file. I created OPTIFEST (optimized manifest) because MANIFEST is so large. I left MANIFEST in place for now because I wasn't sure if future features would require this file and didn't want to reintroduce a huge file.
6. If usm -s and usm -g are not the same brokenman must update database often, but probably it could be option, tip (open ... and edit wrong line: 0.0.9 to 0.0.10 to solve version problem) or question: Serched package is newer than in your database (v. 0.0.9 vs 0.0.10) "Would you like to treat these update as insignificant/minor_update (the same dependecies) and proceed?" or another trick to solve this issue.
I think you are referring to the ambiguous message "FATAL error LIBS.TXT not found" when the slackware database is newer than the local database. I am addressing this problem with a nicer message. This is proving to be more difficult than I had anticipated.
Last edited by brokenman on 24 Aug 2014, 21:36, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Typo

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#260 by brokenman » 27 Aug 2014, 13:52

The following options have been added and pushed to github for inclusion in next release. Still working on the others.

1) Added option to install package/s after download for CLI only. Custom paths are supported.
2) Moved version check out of usm.conf and allowed custom config file so it doesn't get clobbered during updates. You can use /etc/usm/usm-custom.conf for custom config files.
- Still need to update the GUI editor for this so it copies edited config to usm-custom.conf

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#261 by brokenman » 28 Aug 2014, 02:28

3) Symlinks are now added by default (instead of downloading duplicate package) if a package is found anywhere in $STORAGE. This behaviour can be turned off in usm.conf
5) update of database now removes the large MANIFEST file. It saves 100Mb but means limited scope for additional features.
6) Added more verbose error message when local and remote databases do not match (when I need to update USM database).

Updates were pushed to github and will be available in the next release. (probably this weekend)

Bogomips
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge

Post#262 by Bogomips » 28 Aug 2014, 18:34

brokenman wrote:3) Symlinks are now added by default (instead of downloading duplicate package) if a package is found anywhere in $STORAGE. This behaviour can be turned off in usm.conf
This is not clear.
  1. Does this mean a package cannot be moved from $STORAGE?
  2. This behaviour can be turned off in custom usm.conf file presumably?
Linux porteus 4.4.0-porteus #3 SMP PREEMPT Sat Jan 23 07:01:55 UTC 2016 i686 AMD Sempron(tm) 140 Processor AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux
NVIDIA Corporation C61 [GeForce 6150SE nForce 430] (rev a2) MemTotal: 901760 kB MemFree: 66752 kB

Bogomips
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge

Post#263 by Bogomips » 28 Aug 2014, 20:37

Functional Inconsistency
  1. usm -g <package> Processes all dependencies. As a result, one has to go through a whole lot of processing even if just one package file is wanted. Would be nice if there was a switch, say, like -depth d, which would cut off dependency processing at a certain level. So, if just the one package file was required, switch would be -depth 0, for example.
  2. usm -d /var/log/packages/package-name Here it would be desirable for dependencies to be chased down the line, as with the -g switch,

root@porteus:/home/guest# usm -d /var/log/packages/okular-4.12.3-i486-1ftm

Processing  okular-4.12.3-i486-1ftm
    ####################################
    libspectre.so.1 => not found
    Required by: okular-4.12.3-i486-1ftm (/usr/lib/kde4/okularGenerator_ghostview.so)
    Searching  libspectre.so.1:  found 2 packages.
    Choose a package to download or choose 'None' to neglect
    1) libspectre-0.2.7-i486-1.txz  3) None
    2) libspectre-0.2.7-i486-1.txz
    #? 1
     The following packages are ready to download: 
    libspectre-0.2.7-i486-1.txz [40 KB]
     Press [r] to remove packages, [q] to quit, or enter to start downloading.

but they are not. :(

root@porteus:/home/guest# activate p1/mods/libspectre-0.2.7-i486-1.xzm
    Updating shared library links:  /sbin/ldconfig

loop12    7:12   0     5M  1 loop /mnt/live/memory/images/flashplayer-plugin-11.2.202.400-i3
    loop13    7:13   0    40K  1 loop /mnt/live/memory/images/libspectre-0.2.7-i486-1.xzm

guest@porteus:~$ ldd /usr/lib/libspectre.so.1|grep 'not found'
            libgs.so.9 => not found

And ghostscript, after providing libgs.so.9, will want cups. (Duplicate package names have still not been eradicated here.)
usm -d /var/log/packages/package-name

root@porteus:/home/guest# usm -d okular-4.12.3-i486-1ftm
 This is not a valid file.

root@porteus:/home/guest# usm -d /var/log/packages/okular-4.12.3-i486-1ftm
 Processing  okular-4.12.3-i486-1ftm
Like to put forward for consideration: usm -d [/var/log/packages/]<package-name>. If no path is given, path defaults to /var/log/packages for given package-name.
brokenman wrote:
Wonder if it's for the same reason there is no 'none' option any more in the non-GUI version.
Nothing has changed there. The 'None' option is only available when using: usm -d /var/log/packages/package-name.
Incidentally the 'None' option is also available in usm -d, and this is where I got confused:

root@porteus:/home/guest# usm -d

libcups.so.2 => not found
Required by: gtk+2-2.24.20-i486-1 (/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/printbackends/libprintbackend-cups.so)
libsmbclient.so.0 => not found
Required by: vlc-2.1.5-i486-1alien (/usr/lib/vlc/plugins/access/libaccess_smb_plugin.so)

Missing dependencies:  21

libHalf.so.7
libIex.so.7
libIlmImf.so.7
libIlmThread.so.7
libImath.so.7
libaa.so.1
libaspell.so.15
libcaca.so.0
libclucene-core.so.1
libcups.so.2
libenchant.so.1
libgs.so.9
libiodbc.so.2
libjasper.so.1
libmysqlclient.so.18
libpcreposix.so.0
libraptor2.so.0
librdf.so.0
libsmbclient.so.0
libtcl8.6.so
libtk8.6.so
Searching  libHalf.so.7:  found 2 packages.
1) ilmbase-1.0.3-i486-1.txz  3) None
2) ilmbase-1.0.3-i486-1.txz
#? 3

Searching  libIex.so.7:  found 2 packages.
#? 3

Searching  libIlmImf.so.7:  found 2 packages.
1) openexr-1.7.1-i486-1.txz  3) None
2) openexr-1.7.1-i486-1.txz
#? 3

Searching  libIlmThread.so.7:  found 2 packages.
#? 3
Not only are duplications occurring within options, but also across options.

Would also be nice if "None' was not variable, but remained constant, like say 0, from a user standpoint.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#264 by brokenman » 29 Aug 2014, 02:22

Does this mean a package cannot be moved from $STORAGE?
Yes. If it is moved you will have broken symlinks. Leaving the packages in storage will allow package management. Yes this can be switched off in usm.conf
As a result, one has to go through a whole lot of processing even if just one package file is wanted.
Not sure I understand. If you just want one package why not just: usm -g that-package nodeps
Here it would be desirable for dependencies to be chased down the line, as with the -g switch
I understand what you mean but there are situations where this is not possible. When using the usm -g switch I can be sure that all dependencies can be resolved since the original package comes from the slackware repository. The looping resolver should always succeed in finding dependencies of dependencies. USM can't be sure that whatever package you have installed manually (and are checking) can be resolved all the way down the line. It would be a nice feature, and perhaps I could try, and just leave a list of dependencies that couldn't be resolved. Given some time I could give this a shot. Originally the system dep resolver was written as a separate entity to the package resolver.
Like to put forward for consideration: usm -d [/var/log/packages/]<package-name>. If no path is given, path defaults to /var/log/packages for given package-name.
usm -d okular-4.12.3 should default to /var/log/packages/okular-4.12.3-i486-1ftm correct?
This could be done. I always just use /var/log/packages because the auto TAB completion makes it as fast as typing the package name separately. Also supported is /mnt/sda8/txz/okular-4.12.3-i486-1ftm
Not only are duplications occurring within options, but also across options.
Yes I noticed a duplicated package tonight while testing int his area. Thanks. Not sure what you mean by 'across options'
Would also be nice if "None' was not variable, but remained constant, like say 0, from a user standpoint
Again, not sure what you mean. Choosing 'None' means that the packages presented should be left out of the download list. Skipped. You choose none of the offered packages for that library and go on to the next library.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#265 by brokenman » 29 Aug 2014, 03:59

In regards to system & package resolution using: usm -d XXX

Fixed duplicate packages.
Added 'auto add' of single packages. If only one package is available during dep resolution then it is automatically added to the download list without stopping to ask a question. User can remove what they don't need at the end.
Thank you.

tome
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: x64 Openbox

Post#266 by tome » 29 Aug 2014, 10:30

Very thanks brokenman for added new features, hopefully they will be useful for everyone.

Some unfinished things:

usm -v
/usr/bin/usm: line 63: /etc/usm/version.txt: No such file or directory
 You are using USM version:  3.1.5
2. all=alien? It should update all!

usm -u all
 Starting alien database update 
awk: fatal: cannot open file `/etc/usm/version.txt' for reading (No such file or directory)
Downloading: CHECKSUMS.md5.gz  DONE
Downloading: MANIFEST.bz2  DONE
Downloading: PACKAGES.TXT.gz  DONE
Downloading: LIBS.TXT.gz  DONE
File verification was good.
Optimizing manifest
 alien  database updated. 

extra-deps.txt was updated 4931 seconds ago. Skipping.
ignore-deps.txt was updated 4931 seconds ago. Skipping.

You can change the time limit for skipping in: /etc/usm/usm.conf
The default is 3 hours
3. Downloading manifest for salix could be skipped.

usm -u salix
 Starting salix database update 
awk: fatal: cannot open file `/etc/usm/version.txt' for reading (No such file or directory)
Downloading: CHECKSUMS.md5  DONE
Downloading: PACKAGES.TXT  DONE
Downloading: LIBS.TXT.gz  DONE
Downloading: OPTIFEST.gz  DONE
Downloading: MANIFEST.bz2  DONE
 salix  database updated. 
4. It could be also little change:
alien|ponce|salix|slackware|slacky|all -> alien|ponce|salix|slackware|slackwarepatches|slacky|all

5. Tried next time usm -u all but it doesn't work and stops at "Updating config file"
You have mind and feelings. Be wise and clever.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#267 by brokenman » 29 Aug 2014, 14:06

Thanks Tome.

1) Forgot to git add the version.txt file. Done now.
2) Added other repos to update function (they were removed for testing)
3) It now skips salix manifest file
4) I added slackwarepatches to the update list (I will need to do some testing tonight)
5) Pull latest git again. Missing version.txt was the cause.

Bogomips
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge

Post#268 by Bogomips » 29 Aug 2014, 19:32

@brokenman
Thanks for the usage tips and the explanations. Gives some idea of the obstacles being faced. :wall:
brokenman wrote:
Does this mean a package cannot be moved from $STORAGE?
Yes. If it is moved you will have broken symlinks. Leaving the packages in storage will allow package management. Yes this can be switched off in usm.conf
This sounds too fiddly for my limited package management demands, so will have to forego package management. Hope the off switch is going to be in custom usm.conf.
brokenman wrote:Not sure I understand. If you just want one package why not just: usm -g that-package nodeps
Despite having referred to usm man page many times, still managed to miss the nodeps switch. :sorry: Anyway have tried to separate a long usm -g listing into separate levels, which was not very easy to do. Hence the thought of a -depth switch, -depth 0 being equivalent of -nodeps; -depth 1 would terminate processing after one level, allowing one to see which packages would be pulled in; -depth 2 etc.
usm -d okular-4.12.3 should default to /var/log/packages/okular-4.12.3-i486-1ftm correct? This could be done. ... Also supported is /mnt/sda8/txz/okular-4.12.3-i486-1ftm
If there is no sda8 or sda8 is a swap partition?
Not sure what you mean by 'across options'
In the following code section there are duplications for (libHalf.so.7,libIex.so.7,libIlmThread.so.7,ibImath.so.7) and the duplications are themselves offered as the same option 4 times (4x same package). Same duplicated options for (libcups.so.2,,libpcreposix.so.0), 2x same package.

root@porteus:/home/guest# usm -v
 You are using USM version:  3.1.5
root@porteus:/home/guest# usm -d
Searching  libHalf.so.7:  found 2 packages.
#? 3

Searching  libIex.so.7:  found 2 packages.
#? 3

Searching  libIlmImf.so.7:  found 2 packages.
1) openexr-1.7.1-i486-1.txz  3) None
2) openexr-1.7.1-i486-1.txz
#? 3

Searching  libIlmThread.so.7:  found 2 packages.
#? 3

Searching  libImath.so.7:  found 2 packages.
#? 3

Searching  libaa.so.1:  found 2 packages.
1) aalib-1.4rc5-i486-5.txz  3) None
2) aalib-1.4rc5-i486-5.txz
#? 3

Searching  libaspell.so.15:  found 2 packages.
1) aspell-0.60.6-i486-1.txz  3) None
2) aspell-0.60.6-i486-1.txz
#? 3

Searching  libcaca.so.0:  found 2 packages.
1) libcaca-0.99.beta18-i486-2.txz  3) None
2) libcaca-0.99.beta18-i486-2.txz
#? 3

Searching  libclucene-core.so.1:  found 2 packages.
1) clucene-2.3.3.4-i486-2.txz  3) None
2) clucene-2.3.3.4-i486-2.txz
#? 3

Searching  libcups.so.2:  found 2 packages.
1) aaa_elflibs-14.1-i486-3.txz  3) None
2) aaa_elflibs-14.1-i486-3.txz
#? 3

Searching  libenchant.so.1:  found 2 packages.
1) enchant-1.6.0-i486-1.txz  3) None
2) enchant-1.6.0-i486-1.txz
#? 3

Searching  libiodbc.so.2:  found 3 packages.
1) libiodbc-3.52.7-i486-2.txz
2) libiodbc-3.52.8-i486-1_slack14.1.txz
3) libiodbc-3.52.7-i486-2.txz
4) None
#? 4

Searching  libjasper.so.1:  found 2 packages.
1) jasper-1.900.1-i486-3.txz  3) None
2) jasper-1.900.1-i486-3.txz
#? 3

Searching  libmysqlclient.so.18:  found 3 packages.
1) mariadb-5.5.32-i486-1.txz            3) mariadb-5.5.32-i486-1.txz
2) mariadb-5.5.37-i486-1_slack14.1.txz  4) None
#? 4

Searching  libpcreposix.so.0:  found 2 packages.
1) aaa_elflibs-14.1-i486-3.txz  3) None
2) aaa_elflibs-14.1-i486-3.txz
#? 3

Searching  libraptor2.so.0:  found 2 packages.
1) raptor2-2.0.9-i486-1.txz  3) None
2) raptor2-2.0.9-i486-1.txz
#? 3

Searching  librdf.so.0:  found 2 packages.
1) redland-1.0.16-i486-1.txz  3) None
2) redland-1.0.16-i486-1.txz
#? 3

Searching  libsmbclient.so.0:  found 3 packages.
1) samba-4.1.0-i486-2.txz             3) samba-4.1.0-i486-2.txz
2) samba-4.1.11-i486-1_slack14.1.txz  4) None
#? 4

Searching  libspectre.so.1:  found 2 packages.
1) libspectre-0.2.7-i486-1.txz  3) None
2) libspectre-0.2.7-i486-1.txz
#? 3

Searching  libtcl8.6.so:  found 2 packages.
1) tcl-8.6.1-i486-1.txz
2) tcl-8.6.1-i486-1.txz
3) None
#? 3

Searching  libtk8.6.so:  found 2 packages.
1) tk-8.6.1-i486-1.txz
2) tk-8.6.1-i486-1.txz
3) None
#? 3
 The following packages are ready to download: 
 Press [r] to remove packages, [q] to quit, or enter to start downloading.
brokenman wrote:
Would also be nice if "None' was not variable, but remained constant, like say 0, from a user standpoint
Again, not sure what you mean. Choosing 'None' means that the packages presented should be left out of the download list. Skipped.
If there are 2 packages offerred, user has to press 3 for 'none', then if 5 are offered - press 6 for 'none', then 3 offered - press 4 for 'none'. Easier if just had to press 0 (same key) for 'none', less of a strain on the brain. 8)

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#269 by brokenman » 29 Aug 2014, 21:46

This sounds too fiddly for my limited package management demands, so will have to forego package management. Hope the off switch is going to be in custom usm.conf.
Do you think the default should be OFF? This way nothing will be broken if a file is moved.
-depth 1 would terminate processing after one level, allowing one to see which packages would be pulled in
This is doable. The older PPM had similar functionality to prevent runaway dependency resolving.
If there is no sda8 or sda8 is a swap partition?
Sorry I have should have been more explicit. Also supported is: usm -d /whatever/path/has/a/package-1.2.3-i486.txz
where the package is any slackware package for your architecture sitting on a local filesystem.

and the duplications are themselves offered as the same option
Got it now. I fixed this last night and pushed it to github. If only one package is an option it is now automatically selected.
All duplicates should also be gone.
Easier if just had to press 0 ... less of a strain on the brain.
LOL. Yes I know what you mean. In a dark room it is also more difficult. I will see if I can do it. It made for less coding at the time.

Thanks for your suggestions and clear explanations.

Bogomips
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge

Post#270 by Bogomips » 30 Aug 2014, 22:48

brokenman wrote:
Do you think the default should be OFF? This way nothing will be broken if a file is moved.
YES. I suppose, for newbies, it's one less level of complexity, especially if you are still feeling your way round the system. And those who know what they are on about, will know how to go about coordinating with package management.