Cinnamon 2.x porting

Here is a place for your projects which are not officially supported by the Porteus Team. For example: your own kernel patched with extra features; desktops not included in the standard ISO like Gnome; base modules that are different than the standard ISO, etc...
roelof
Samurai
Samurai
Distribution: Porteus 2.1 Gnome

Re: Cinnamon 2.x porting

Post#76 by roelof » 07 Nov 2013, 14:23

Hello,

I did not make one module yet because first I want to make it work.
But he modules I made can be found here ; https://bitbucket.org/rwobben/porteus/src

Roelof

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#77 by brokenman » 07 Nov 2013, 18:56

First rule. You need to know what error messages you are getting when you try to start cinnamon. By this I don't mean the GUI popup error message. This is useless. Luckily for you gnome is logging all errors to /home/guest/.xsession and after you see the GUI popup error message you should switch to a different TTY (ctrl + alt + Fn) and investigate this file. I am willing to bet that the path to dbus-daemon is incorrect. If cinnamon doesn't start this daemon it won't get the session name. After you fix this you will probably find that the environment variable is not even being set, hence cinnamon is not able to know if itself is running. Will check it out tonight.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

roelof
Samurai
Samurai

Post#78 by roelof » 07 Nov 2013, 19:21

oke,

The problem with the dbus not found is already present in the dropline Gnome module you provided.

Roelof

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#79 by brokenman » 07 Nov 2013, 20:02

And yet here I am posting this from dropline gnome. This problem is not present in the dropline gnome module, otherwise the dbus session would not be found and the desktop would not start. I did however have to change the permissions and path of dbus-daemon.

roelof
Samurai
Samurai

Post#80 by roelof » 07 Nov 2013, 21:05

Here my xsession when I start up Dropline Gnome with the first choice of the start up menu ;

Code: Select all

cat .xsession

** (gnome-session-check-accelerated:2434): WARNING **: Error retrieving accessibility bus address: org.a11y.Bus.Error: Failed to execute child process "/bin/dbus-daemon" (No such file or directory)

** (gnome-session:2432): WARNING **: Error retrieving accessibility bus address: org.a11y.Bus.Error: Failed to execute child process "/bin/dbus-daemon" (No such file or directory)

** (seahorse-sharing:2462): WARNING **: Error retrieving accessibility bus address: org.a11y.Bus.Error: Failed to execute child process "/bin/dbus-daemon" (No such file or directory)
GNOME_KEYRING_CONTROL=/home/guest/.cache/keyring-2tTIGj
GNOME_KEYRING_PID=2472
GPG_AGENT_INFO=/home/guest/.cache/keyring-2tTIGj/gpg:0:1
SSH_AUTH_SOCK=/home/guest/.cache/keyring-2tTIGj/ssh
SSH_AUTH_SOCK=/home/guest/.cache/keyring-2tTIGj/ssh

** (gnome-settings-daemon:2464): WARNING **: Error retrieving accessibility bus address: org.a11y.Bus.Error: Failed to execute child process "/bin/dbus-daemon" (No such file or directory)

(gnome-settings-daemon:2464): cursor-plugin-WARNING **: Unable to start gsd_cursor manager: Per-device idletime monitor not available

(gnome-settings-daemon:2464): power-plugin-WARNING **: Unable to inhibit suspend: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.freedesktop.login1 was not provided by any .service files

(gnome-settings-daemon:2464): power-plugin-WARNING **: Unable to inhibit lid switch: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.freedesktop.login1 was not provided by any .service files

(gnome-settings-daemon:2464): media-keys-plugin-WARNING **: Unable to inhibit keypresses: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.freedesktop.login1 was not provided by any .service files

(gnome-settings-daemon:2464): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_variant_get_boolean: assertion `g_variant_is_of_type (value, G_VARIANT_TYPE_BOOLEAN)' failed

(gnome-settings-daemon:2464): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_variant_get_boolean: assertion `g_variant_is_of_type (value, G_VARIANT_TYPE_BOOLEAN)' failed

(gnome-settings-daemon:2464): keyboard-plugin-WARNING **: Unhandled settings change, key 'bell-custom-file'

(gnome-settings-daemon:2464): keyboard-plugin-WARNING **: Unhandled settings change, key 'input-sources-switcher'

(gnome-settings-daemon:2464): keyboard-plugin-WARNING **: Unhandled settings change, key 'bell-custom-file'

(gnome-settings-daemon:2464): keyboard-plugin-WARNING **: Unhandled settings change, key 'input-sources-switcher'

** (gnome-shell:2595): WARNING **: Error retrieving accessibility bus address: org.a11y.Bus.Error: Failed to execute child process "/bin/dbus-daemon" (No such file or directory)

** (canberra-gtk-play:2683): WARNING **: Error retrieving accessibility bus address: org.a11y.Bus.Error: Failed to execute child process "/bin/dbus-daemon" (No such file or directory)
Failed to play sound: File or data not found
      JS LOG: GNOME Shell started at Thu Nov 07 2013 21:54:01 GMT+0000
Tracker-Message: Importing config file to GSettings

** (evolution-alarm-notify:2684): WARNING **: Error retrieving accessibility bus address: org.a11y.Bus.Error: Failed to execute child process "/bin/dbus-daemon" (No such file or directory)
Window manager warning: CurrentTime used to choose focus window; focus window may not be correct.
Window manager warning: Got a request to focus the no_focus_window with a timestamp of 0.  This shouldn't happen!

(tracker-miner-fs:2680): Tracker-WARNING **: Couldn't properly parse desktop file 'file:///home/guest/.local/share/applications/at-spi2-atk.desktop': 'Desktop file doesn't contain type'
      JS LOG: loading default theme (Adwaita)

(gnome-settings-daemon:2464): updates-plugin-WARNING **: failed to get updates: the package list is missing: No such file or directory
Roelof

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#81 by brokenman » 07 Nov 2013, 21:49

Ok. You are talking about the dbus-daemon executable file and I am talking about the DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS environment variable. As I said, I had to create the symlink from /bin/dbus-daemon to /usr/bin. This is missing from my tree. Please create the symlink and try again. After booting you should get output from: env|grep DBUS

Creating this symlink will solve your missing dbus-daemon file error, but I am guessing there will be more errors following this one.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#82 by brokenman » 07 Nov 2013, 23:07

I compiled all the packages here and without rebooting, just changed the line in xinitrc.gnome to: exec cinnamon-session

This bought up the cinnamon desktop. Nothing worked but the desktop came up. This means all the files are in place it should run. There was a typelib file missing for Gkbd and another error which prevented things from starting but I think it will work.

EDIT:
Here is a video that shows it will run .... there are tons of errors. Locking didn't work (I didn't think it would) and there are various other errors which you can see in the console output in the video. The desktop runs, but you will have a fair bit to do to get it running smoothly. The end of the video shows me locking the screen. It never comes out of lock and I have to switch TTY and kill everything manually.

http://youtu.be/364QXfrCDOY

roelof
Samurai
Samurai

Post#83 by roelof » 08 Nov 2013, 19:07

Thanks,

I made the symlink and now I see a js problem.
I have asked the cinnamon people for help and it seems that I have to upgrade cinnamon-desktop to 2.0.3

When I tried to run Cinnamon as guest I still see the dbus error so I will look tommorow at that.

It's not wierd that cinnamon will not work when using the xinitrc.gnome.
Cinnamon uses nemo as file manager and nemo also takes care of the background and so on.
Cinnamon and nautilus does not work.

I will make this weekend a rebuild of almost all the packages and look if Cinnamon will work then.

Roelof

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#84 by brokenman » 08 Nov 2013, 19:46

I have asked the cinnamon people for help and it seems that I have to upgrade cinnamon-desktop to 2.0.3
Maybe you forgot, but I compiled everything from the latest git sources.
When I tried to run Cinnamon as guest I still see the dbus error so I will look tommorow at that.
I was running cinnamon as guest in the video.
It's not wierd that cinnamon will not work when using the xinitrc.gnome. Cinnamon uses nemo as file manager and nemo also takes care of the background and so on. Cinnamon and nautilus does not work.
Maybe you should watch the video again in high definition to see it better. Cinnamon ran fine while using the standard gnome xinitrc. You can also see that I start up nemo which functions fine. You can also see that the desktop has a background. The problem is not with the xinit file, nor nemo. The problem as you saw is with js and the way cinnamon implements the menu system. In any case I am sure you will figure it out this weekend. Have fun.

roelof
Samurai
Samurai

Post#85 by roelof » 08 Nov 2013, 21:12

If you think you can do it better, be my quest.

Roelof

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#86 by brokenman » 08 Nov 2013, 21:47

I don't have the time or the desire to maintain this desktop since it relies (at the moment) on the gnome base. The current gnome shell has a fallback mode and an application menu so it essentially has the same look and functionality as cinnamon. Others in the community may enjoy using the desktop so keep going. Pay no attention to my (or any one else's) sarcasm and nay-saying. It will make your victory in the end all the more sweet. Carry on. :)

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#87 by brokenman » 20 Nov 2013, 20:07

Have you gotten further with this or reached an impasse?

roelof
Samurai
Samurai

Post#88 by roelof » 18 Dec 2013, 08:58

Sorry,

I had a very busy time.
But im going to re-install Porteus and work on Cinnamon.

Also I going to look if I can work together with the dropline developers so a lot of work does not have to be done several times.

Roelof

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#89 by brokenman » 18 Dec 2013, 16:41

Excellent. It might pay to wait a week and install the next version of Porteus as the base will of slackware 14.1

roelof
Samurai
Samurai

Post#90 by roelof » 18 Dec 2013, 16:44

oke,

I have talked to the dropline gnome and we decided that Cinnamon will be a sort of project under dropline gnome.
So I will work on that first and then make a nice module for Porteus.

Roelof