Guided Antivirus Disk 4 Personal Use

Here is a place for your projects which are not officially supported by the Porteus Team. For example: your own kernel patched with extra features; desktops not included in the standard ISO like Gnome; base modules that are different than the standard ISO, etc...
mocabilly
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: Mint-Porteus

Guided Antivirus Disk 4 Personal Use

Post#1 by mocabilly » 29 Sep 2013, 21:09

Hi all,

Just a question..

Is there an interest into a guided antivirus disk?

By a guided antivirus disk I mean a script and some modules that add to a default lxde porteus disk:
- a Live linux CD/DVD (porteus of course)
- start a ssh secure connection with the "guide" (you, or a person with an advanced knowledge in IT (you can trust))
- start a vnc server over this ssh connection so the guide can monitor the disk (and the computer it's booted from) from his computer
- create a desktop (shortcut) icon that will allow an audio-connection (IHU - I Hear U progr.) to the guide.
- start to update an antivirus signature database (avg for personal use so far)
- start to scan every NTFS partition on the computer the disk is booted from
(NTFS - so far as most users requiring help are probably windows users - I do apologize for this blunt assumption)

I got this all working at this point, - sort of between Alfa & Beta stage.. proof of concept as you wish..

Kind regards,

Mocabilly
There are only 10 kind of people in this world, those who can read binary and those who can't.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Re: Guided Antivirus Disk 4 Personal Use

Post#2 by fanthom » 30 Sep 2013, 00:15

sounds interesting,

i think you should create an ISO and post here so people could try it and report bugs, request features, etc...
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

Slaxmax
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: KDE4

Post#3 by Slaxmax » 30 Sep 2013, 03:59

for this
Teamviewer + Avast for linux.
“DNA is like a computer program but far, far more advanced than any software ever created.”
― Bill Gates, The Road Ahead

mocabilly
White ninja
White ninja

Post#4 by mocabilly » 30 Sep 2013, 17:06

Slaxmax wrote:for this
Teamviewer + Avast for linux.
Well, I didn't use Teamviewer or an other remote control software that uses a "middle man", because I want it all to be as independent as possible.

This comes with a prize of course..
(Arranging to publish the guides IP-address etc., setting up port forwarding (Guide side)...)
Anyway, I think it's worth it..
My proof of concept CD does everything automatic, doesn't require any intervention from the "client"/CD user...
Just put in the CD, boot (bios need to be setup to boot from CD/DVD first of course), boot and that's it!

By November I hope to find the time to publish it all, including a "config script" for the guide to automatize the setup on
his/her side, and to create the actual ISO for the Disk.
(To be more complete - by November I hope to continue my work on the setup-script, which I think is necessary if you want to use it,
without spending a few hours creating the ISO - ssh keys need to be created etc, ports need to be chosen etc. etc... the script's that will end up on the CD/DVD
are ready for use.)
There are only 10 kind of people in this world, those who can read binary and those who can't.

mocabilly
White ninja
White ninja

Post#5 by mocabilly » 30 Sep 2013, 17:16

fanthom wrote:i think you should create an ISO and post here so people could try it and report bugs, request features, etc...
Thnx for you interes Fanthom.
Creating an ISO will not work.
Because I don't want to use a remote control with a "third-party-middle-man-solution", each ISO must(and can) be created to the settings made by
the "guide" (The guide creates the ISO with his/her chosen settings)
Doing it this way results in a remote control over a really secure ssh connection and encrypted voice chat.

By November I hope to publish the scripts by which you will able to create the CD/DVD and which will do the setup for the "Guide".

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#6 by brokenman » 11 Oct 2013, 22:24

On a network of say 10 computers, would each computer require it's own CD? Will any port forwarding need to be done on the router of the network with the troubled user? The concept sounds great.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

mocabilly
White ninja
White ninja

Post#7 by mocabilly » 12 Oct 2013, 12:32

brokenman wrote:On a network of say 10 computers, would each computer require it's own CD? Will any port forwarding need to be done on the router of the network with the troubled user? The concept sounds great.
No,
- There is no need for 10 different CD's.
The GAD4PU script will read the port nr. and IP-address it needs from a webpage (webpage in ONLY containing this info).
The guide/helper needs to put the info at that webpage (port nr. depending on the used helper/guide PC, IP-address = public IPAddress guide/helper).
As there is only one (by default) webpage that the GAD4PU script will read address info from, this approach is not suitable for heavily used call-centers etc.
At least, not at this pont... (It's possible to make it this way i think)
Although, if the guide/helper's IP-address is static, this is optional, in this case each
"PC-CD combination" should have to contain a port number in the script's config. part - which doesn't seem "handy".
The GAD4PU script is created with dynamic public (guide/helper) IP-addresses in mind.
- Port-forwarding is done on the guide/helper side
Each helper-computer needs 2 ports assigned to (one ssh, one audio (IHU - I Hear U))

Steps are:
- client/person in (pc)troubles contacts the guide/helper by phone (or mail)
- guide/helper makes sure that the webpage (see config GAD4PU script) will contain the portnr. and IP-address (syntax: xxx,yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy )
@ where the computer that the guide/helper is using will be reachable.
this can be a computer in a LAN (LAN connected to the internet)
- client/person in (PC)troubles reboots his computer with the GAD4PU Disk (CD/DVD)
- GAD4PU script, run at startup will read the port-address string and connect to the port nr. and IP-address it finds
- a ssh connection between "client" and guide/helper" is set up, 0xvncserver is started @ client and an audio-connection "shortcut" is shown at the client's
desktop.
Meanwhile the anti-virus progr. is updating itself (full-automatically) and after update is starting to scan every NTFS partition on the "client's" PC
NTFS - most troubled users who can't help them selves are probably using windows.
NTFS - can be altered in the GAD4PU config. script.
- the guide/helper connects via his/her remote desktop control software to localhost & a port nr. set in the GAD4PU script.
(must be a tigervnc compatible RDC progr.)
- the guide/helper (and client) can watch the terminal that's open and in which the anti-vir. progr. is running, so action can be taking if the vir-scan is complete.

To Do's:
- Create a script that will help in configuring the GAD4PU script and other necessaries, and build a porteus-module of this all.
- fine-tune the GAD4PU script, at least "0xvncserver crash and auto-restart" functionality should be implemented (as testing points out)
- find other anti-virus progr's that can be added..
- find other tools that can be used to repair things that can't be done by the anti-virus progr. and tools included by default into porteus.
(especially tools for registry scanning/fixing).
- testing