KDE4 in 32bit discussion

Here is a place for your projects which are not officially supported by the Porteus Team. For example: your own kernel patched with extra features; desktops not included in the standard ISO like Gnome; base modules that are different than the standard ISO, etc...
wread
Module Guard
Module Guard
Distribution: Porteus v5.0-kde-64 bits

Re: KDE4 in 32bit discussion

Post#31 by wread » 13 Jan 2013, 20:21

Hi all!
Meanwhile we are by Porteus v2.0 rc1; I have been working to keep path with the development to Porteus 2.0.

The official 32-bit edition switched from Trinity to Razorqt, a new desktop from the qt people (now Nokia) that promises to be very good. It can run qt4 applications and is compact enough to fit in old legacy machines. Excellent work by brokenman! Congratulations, Jay!

As alternative for newer 32-bit machines with more ram, I am glad to present the snapshots of Porteus-v2.0-rc1-kde4-i486. Compared with the official 32-bit version, there is not much differences in the general appearance.

Here the guest desktop #1,

and here guest desktop #2.

Both desktops can be switched with a "cube effect".

The cheatcodes "login=root" and "login=" seem to be working correctly and the guest and root accounts can be accessed ok. I must check if a new user can be also added with a different username from "guest"...

Here is root desktop #1,

and here is desktop #2.

For this extra version of the 32-bit edition, following modifications were required:
-file porteus.cfg in boot, (to change Razor for KDE4)
-001-core.xzm (to change rc.M back to the no-arch-version, and etc/issue back to KDE4)
-002-xorg.xzm (minor changes and corrections)
-004-kde.xzm (instead of 004-razor.xzm); size is 101.5 MB (wallpapers included)
-005-kdeapps.xzm (instead of 005-apps.xzm); size is 20.6 MB

The base modules 007-devel and 008-firefox remained unchanged. 006-abiword can be eliminated in favor of a more powerful office-suit (e.g. LibreOffice to be put in modules). Besides, many many production kde4-tools can be now put in modules and run in this environment. :Yahoo!:

The five new files are being uploaded right now; when they are done, I will send them first to brokenman for testing. If the heads of the community are interested in having this alternative,I will post them accordingly.

If everything is ok, I will then bump kde4 to the latest stable version. This one is still 4.8.2 that has had no problems with my students. I will make an iso of this rc1 for the new groups of my lectures starting Jan-2013.

Cheers!
Porteus is proud of the FASTEST KDE ever made.....(take akonadi, nepomuk and soprano out and you will have a decent OS).
The Porteus Community never sleeps!

Hamza
Warlord
Warlord
Distribution: Porteus

Post#32 by Hamza » 13 Jan 2013, 22:22

Awesome 8)
NjVFQzY2Rg==

wread
Module Guard
Module Guard
Distribution: Porteus v5.0-kde-64 bits

Post#33 by wread » 18 Feb 2013, 00:17

I posted yesterday the Calligra Suite version 2.6.0, transformed from Alien Bob's slackbook.org. To work correctly it needs kde 4.10.0, which I also packed for Porteus 2.0. You can download my iso from here: http://www.adrive.com/public/z45hBH/Por ... 4-i486.iso The iso is 303 MB (not kde4s fault!).

My rootcopy, about 4.9 MB is included in the iso; it contains my current settings. You can rename it Rootcopy, so the system will ignore it and then you can use it as a guide for your own rootcopy.

It uses chromium (43 MB) instead of firefox (only 19 MB) and 005-kdeapps is still in unmerged state, it is "almost perfect" only....; as a zero revision version, some bugs are to be expected. I already noticed that the cube animation desktop switching is not working properly (it is already reported upstream), but it only switches.

Cheers :)
Porteus is proud of the FASTEST KDE ever made.....(take akonadi, nepomuk and soprano out and you will have a decent OS).
The Porteus Community never sleeps!

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#34 by brokenman » 03 Mar 2013, 15:49

This looks really sexy. Awesome work. I am sure many people will be thankful !

You can reduce Chromium a little by removing helps docs and also a x86_64 file which is not required by 32bit and i think it is arounf 10Mb. Can't remember which file right now but you can search the filesystem for '64'.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

hypomania
Samurai
Samurai
Distribution: Windows phone

Post#35 by hypomania » 26 Aug 2013, 22:44

hello,
I just want to thank all members who works to release kde4-32bit !
good effort and best regards,