Porteus support : Linux Writer.

Here is a place for your projects which are not officially supported by the Porteus Team. For example: your own kernel patched with extra features; desktops not included in the standard ISO like Gnome; base modules that are different than the standard ISO, etc...
edge226
Contributor
Contributor

Porteus support : Linux Writer.

Post#1 by edge226 » 07 Mar 2012, 01:17

Hello,

Recently I have gotten a job as a Linux Writer for http://www.linuxforum.com , Since Porteus is my primary distribution this is a good thing for Porteus. Most likely you will receive free marketing across the internet because I support Porteus. My first article was a simple installation article using both windows and Linux, Next is a what to do once you've booted you've Booted Porteus.

If you guys want specifics in articles just give me a shout here and if I can do it I will most likely do it. ;)

Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs
Distribution: LXDE & Xfce 32/64-bit

Re: Porteus support : Linux Writer.

Post#2 by Ahau » 07 Mar 2012, 02:30

Congrats! I'm looking forward to reading your articles :)
Please take a look at our online documentation, here. Suggestions are welcome!

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Post#3 by fanthom » 07 Mar 2012, 03:46

sounds good :)

i think it would be interesting for the readers to find out about differences between standard linux distros (Fedora, Ubuntu, etc) and modular ones (Slax, Nimblex, Porteus, etc). what are the pros and cons of each...

in my opinion standard distros are much simpler while modular one requires additional knowledge but offers some unique features like:
- always 'fresh mode'
- possibility of running directly from windows fs (changes inside .dat container)
- multiple installations on the same partition (from_dir cheat)
- all data are compressed inside modules which is a good thing from slow media point of view (CPU is usually faster on decompressing than reading from slow usb stick, card reader, ie: it's usually faster to read 250MB of compressed data than 1GB of uncompressed)
- modularization is the best way of managing your software: dont like kde? just delete 004-kde.xzm from /porteus/base and you are set.

just few tips to start with :wink:
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

edge226
Contributor
Contributor

Post#4 by edge226 » 07 Mar 2012, 05:41

fanthom wrote: in my opinion standard distros are much simpler while modular one requires additional knowledge
I disagree, Usage is easier for standard distribution simply because we do not have a large modular base, and if we expanded upon the Porteus Settings Center to allow easier system administration the porteus system would be 100% best, if you require stripping the OS a desktop distribution such as Mandriva or Mageia. Their system would break because of certain design decisions.

Ever made an RPM vs a Tarball?
We are simpler, they are easier. The only reason of this is the lifespan of Porteus. Had Porteus been around back when mandrake first started... we would be on even ground.

However its all just semantics.

Hamza
Warlord
Warlord
Distribution: Porteus

Post#5 by Hamza » 07 Mar 2012, 09:24

and if we expanded upon the Porteus Settings Center to allow easier system administration the porteus system would be 100% best,
Wait... :roll:
NjVFQzY2Rg==

edge226
Contributor
Contributor

Post#6 by edge226 » 07 Mar 2012, 23:48

Hamza wrote:Wait... :roll:
People use Mandriva based distributions because of the control center they supply. Do I know how to do all the administration CLI, Sure I do. Was the Control Center pretty wicked to have? totally was. Made certain things much easier.

Anyways, Here is my first article!

http://www.linuxforum.com/content/167-H ... -and-Linux