Porteus as NAS

Here is a place for your projects which are not officially supported by the Porteus Team. For example: your own kernel patched with extra features; desktops not included in the standard ISO like Gnome; base modules that are different than the standard ISO, etc...
rych
Warlord
Warlord
Distribution: Porteus 5.0 x64 OpenBox

Porteus as NAS

Post#1 by rych » 09 May 2022, 02:39

I'm now looking at the Open Media Vault (and FreeNAS, etc.) to make my own NAS box and was wondering if anyone has used Porteus for this purpose? Or perhaps it's a silly thing to do? OMV seems a good Debian-based docker-centric solution already, but it is still a new system to learn. So I might investigate turning my Porteus USB into a wake-on-lan Data/Cloud/File/Web/FTP/Gallery/Streaming/Bittorent/... headless server in its own right :) Please share your thoughts and advice below.

My thoughts so far:
  • Porteus already lives on a USB stick which is recommended for NAS as the system and perhaps bittorent client can run (or sleep) without waking up the large storage disk(s).
  • I guess the distinctive part of existing solutions is the web interface for monitoring, adding plugins etc. but often people have to drop into a (web) ssh terminal anyway.

Rava
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: XFCE 5.01 x86_64 + 4.0 i586

Porteus as NAS

Post#2 by Rava » 19 Aug 2022, 02:20

Did you manage to get it running?

I do have a NAS, but for some reason the installed Linux OS is malfunctioning (I have no idea why, not had the time to invest days to figure it out since the 6 months of guarantee is already over) :x :(

I Installed the system some years prior and then never used it, and I tried again during shutdown (approx 9 months ago) and found out about its issue.
Cheers!
Yours Rava