[Solved?] ...Palemoon/Slimjet alternative?

If you are looking for a specific 64-bit package and you can't find it in any of the 64-bit repos, please post a request for it here
datruche
Black ninja
Black ninja
Distribution: Arch, Porteus-Nemesis 3.5

Re: Palemoon/Slimjet alternative?

Post#16 by datruche » 02 Feb 2016, 15:30

I just thouht it was that ;)

Sorry if it feels rude, since you eluded he question hav little choice but to ask again. Do you have feedbacks on Arch binary to Porteus (Slackware) module converter by Neko? or on loading Tinycore webkitFLTK and fifth modules into Porteus ?

fullmoonremix

Post#17 by fullmoonremix » 02 Feb 2016, 18:16

Salutations... :good:

Using TinyCore modules for Porteus sounds like an excellent idea.
Unfortunately, as of yet... I have not tried it.

The module converter sounds great too.
Although... I haven't tried that either.

Time permitting... I will try those ideas later and post feedback

Best Regards.. :beer:

datruche
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#18 by datruche » 02 Feb 2016, 22:10

Et bin voilà
Being able to convert it from TC or Arch module/binary should ease the module creation :D

And geez! Hope Fifth's more stable on Porteus than it is on Arch.

ztrapl
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Porteus 3.1 KDE4 32bit

Post#19 by ztrapl » 07 Feb 2016, 11:39

Hello,

I have downloaded latest Pale Moon version : palemoon-26.0.3-x86_64 and trying to run on my system.
It's opening the window, but when I'm trying to write website address in address bar or trying to do search after 2-3 letters it's crashing.

I was looking for this bug on the forum and I found the Palemoon reply:
Are you using the oxygen-gtk theme? There's a known bug in that theming engine that causes Pale Moon to crash when clicking the menu/address bar. Please use a different theming engine and that should resolve the problem.
Pale Moon should work with any gtk2 theme besides oxygen.

Palemoon forum:http://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=10869
Palemoon-26.0.3-x86_64_zt.xzm
Download at this address: https://yadi.sk/d/lf9fSI_3hUADZ Internet folder.

Enjoy 8)

fullmoonremix

Post#20 by fullmoonremix » 07 Feb 2016, 15:25

Good to know this. I wasn't aware of what was behind that bug.

Best Regards... :beer:

cemi
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: TC

Post#21 by cemi » 12 Feb 2016, 18:59

Sup folks, Fifth author reporting in.
I might try reaching out to the maintainer to suggest that the project would increase in popularity
if the 4 major package binaries (tgz... txz... rpm... deb...) were supported.
I know. PPAs have been requested previously. It's however too much work when I don't use any of those distros. If anyone starts a PPA or other such packaging system, I'll gladly link to it.

I build a portable x86_64 linux binary for each release, you can download it from the official link, and it should work fine on Porteus. Of course it'll be a bit bigger than a natively built one, as it bundles many libs. Repackaging this binary, rather than a TC or Arch binary, should work better, as distros rarely have the same versions of libs.
It uses Cmake... however it's source configuration contains commands that Cmake rejects.
Cmake is not supported. Please use the build commands listed in the README.
Crashed when I loaded a 40 urls session of mine (mostly tech sites)
Did you build webkitfltk with assertions (the default)? As mentioned in the README, you should do a release build for normal use, the assertions can fire on valid websites, seemingly causing a crash.

If you built without asserts, and have a site where it still reliably crashes, please report it. The prebuilt binary was built without asserts, so it can be used to test.
Ah and it's a benchmark (the synthetic ones) killer: I mean it gets the lowest score on Octane/Jetstream/... while being fast, just showing off that what these benchmarks score is the browsers' ability to run themselves.
The JIT is disabled, as it was too unstable. As a result Javascript is always interpreted, which is slower than the major browsers, but also uses less RAM. Doesn't really matter on most sites, though JS-heavy pages such as html5 games will not be usable.

fullmoonremix

Post#22 by fullmoonremix » 13 Feb 2016, 06:33

Hi cemi... welcome to Porteus. Your input is highly valued here by those who are knowledgeable and will assist many to promote your amazing project.
I for one am attempting to make your creation central to my Porteus derivative. IMHO... I believe Gnash player would be a good combo w/ Fifth.

I have reached out to Bill Spitzak recently to suggest a FLTK/NTK window manager to improve upon FLWM.
I'm interested in your impression of NTK (Non-sequencer toolkit @ http://non.tuxfamily.org/ntk/).
Bill has said... it would be a good fit to merge FLTK with NTK.

That however... would require the use of Cairo's solib (to avoid GTK). One benefit of NTK are appealing widgets that compete with the larger toolkits.

I've had difficulty compiling your source with Src2pkg. I will attempt again and perhaps if I'm successful I can post Fifth to the Slackonly repo.
Your project would make a major contribution to the Porteus pantheon of binaries posted in this forum and to Slackonly @ http://slakfinder.org/.

Last edited by fullmoonremix on 14 Feb 2016, 12:31, edited 4 times in total.

cemi
White ninja
White ninja

Post#23 by cemi » 13 Feb 2016, 09:40

About gnash: I'm generally rather anti-Flash, and it would go against Fifth's stance of "no plugins".

I haven't heard of NTK before this, so I can't comment on it.

fullmoonremix

Post#24 by fullmoonremix » 13 Feb 2016, 11:41

Before switching to Porteus I was using Android which had several ultra lightweight "spawning" browsers I was quite fond of.
Your creation reminds me of those. I like the idea of an external player. That is what Gnash is (eg. used also with Lightspark).
Gnash
Lightspark

It can also optionally be used as a plugin. Of course... Fifth doesn't support that use (nor should it).
@ the moment I'm tied up struggling with creating a Porteus derivative based on Fifth (FLTK)... PekWM (xcb) and Xfe (Fox toolkit).
http://fifth-browser.sourceforge.net/
File:PekWM running on Arch Linux.png
http://roland65.free.fr/xfe/images/screenshot-s1.png

If the derivative is completed I will post it for download in the "Derivative" section of the forum.
With your creation as the default browser and PekWM these projects will have the exposure they deserve.

If you are interested in compiling Fifth for Porteus you can use the 05-devel module and Src2pkg along with any USM dependencies.
http://www.src2pkg.net/
http://brokenman.porteus.org/porteus/x8 ... t/modules/

fullmoonremix

Post#25 by fullmoonremix » 15 Feb 2016, 11:45

PPAs have been requested previously. It's however too much work when I don't use any of those distros.
I don't have the skill set to compile your creation. :wall: And either like me... others have inability or those who can aren't (justifiably?) motivated.
However... Porteus also has a binary package converter (in the right click menu) that can convert the 4 major packages.

If you compile to one of these and post it. I can convert it (no compiling required).
However... that would also require you to post a list of all known dependencies.

Or...

You can address any conflicts with Src2pkg.

Your project is not posted to http://pkgs.org/ although Opera and Dillo (@ http://www.fltk.org/links.php?V361+Q) which is inferior to Fifth are.
The unfortunate reality is until your project is posted to a major repo it doesn't exist as anything more than "proof of concept".

I am now seriously reconsidering Palemoon (IMHO... although bloated compared to Fifth because it uses Gtk) as a basis for my Porteus derivative.

cemi
White ninja
White ninja

Post#26 by cemi » 15 Feb 2016, 18:50

Why don't you use the precompiled binary?

fullmoonremix

Post#27 by fullmoonremix » 16 Feb 2016, 01:49

cemi... without question your creation is impressive. The reality is most end users are not developers.
I have only successfully compiled only libressl... mlibtool and jlibtool with make and src2pkg.

I was @ the center of an unfortunate flame war last summer when I challenged the title of this forum section.
This section is entitled "Module Requests". That by default implies... if there is motivation then there will be a module NOT a tutorial.

If the intention is "do it yourself" then the title should be "Tutorial Requests".
If the intention is "binary candidates" the title should be "Suggestions".

In order to avoid another war... I'm prefacing (eg. "IMHO"). No one has to agree... however this is my point of view.
Typically... anyone posting to this section has not found success with "do it yourself"... and thus a request is made.

This section has made it clear... it's easier to download and covert a package using http://pkgs.org than requesting a non-USM module.
Unfortunately... in this case there is no major package to convert. if aus9 (who is advanced) had difficulty then it's time to move on.

datruche
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#28 by datruche » 16 Feb 2016, 13:57

Thank you for the precisions cemi
cemi wrote:Sup folks, Fifth author reporting in.

I build a portable x86_64 linux binary for each release, you can download it from the official link, and it should work fine on Porteus.
Which one it is, fifth-0.4_glibc-2.7_x86_64.txz of 12.8 MB? (Arch compiled fifth-0.4-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz is 11 MB)
It uses Cmake... however it's source configuration contains commands that Cmake rejects.
Cmake is not supported. Please use the build commands listed in the README.
Yeap: in webkitfltk-0.4/README:

Code: Select all

Building
--------

You can try to build using the upstream Webkit cmake scripts, or the hacked-up
plain makefiles included herein.

The cmake system did not work for us, which is the reason for the makefiles.
Crashed when I loaded a 40 urls session of mine (mostly tech sites)
Did you build webkitfltk with assertions (the default)? As mentioned in the README, you should do a release build for normal use, the assertions can fire on valid websites, seemingly causing a crash.

If you built without asserts, and have a site where it still reliably crashes, please report it. The prebuilt binary was built without asserts, so it can be used to test.
Up to now I used pure Arch defaults (note: same for Porteus Nemesis) and Steffen Weber's PKGBUILD below, but I'll try without assertions to building 'release'. Note that all it required never get over ~2gb space.
Arch makepkg.conf

#-- Debugging flags
DEBUG_CFLAGS="-g -fvar-tracking-assignments"
DEBUG_CXXFLAGS="-g -fvar-tracking-assignments"
OPTIONS=(strip docs !libtool !staticlibs emptydirs zipman purge !optipng !upx !debug)

pkgname=webkitfltk
pkgver=0.4
pkgrel=1
pkgdesc="Port of Webkit to FLTK 1.3"
<SNIP SNIP>
build() {
  cd "$pkgname-$pkgver"
  make -C Source/WTF/wtf
  make -C Source/JavaScriptCore gen
  make -C Source/JavaScriptCore
  make -C Source/WebCore
  make -C Source/WebKit/fltk
}

package() {
  cd "$pkgname-$pkgver"
  make -C Source/WebKit/fltk DESTDIR=$pkgdir install
}
Will follow up on github, #10.
Ah and it's a benchmark (the synthetic ones) killer: I mean it gets the lowest score on Octane/Jetstream/... while being fast, just showing off that what these benchmarks score is the browsers' ability to run themselves.
The JIT is disabled, as it was too unstable. As a result Javascript is always interpreted, which is slower than the major browsers, but also uses less RAM. Doesn't really matter on most sites, though JS-heavy pages such as html5 games will not be usable.
Gotcha. I'm looking for a browser that's much *efficient* for browsing; not for synthetic bainchemarques (a joke in French on swiming suites and marks --prounounce like 'benchmark' ;))

cemi
White ninja
White ninja

Post#29 by cemi » 16 Feb 2016, 19:03

datruche wrote:Thank you for the precisions cemi
Which one it is, fifth-0.4_glibc-2.7_x86_64.txz of 12.8 MB? (Arch compiled fifth-0.4-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz is 11 MB)
Yes, that one.

datruche
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#30 by datruche » 16 Feb 2016, 20:32

Built the i686 pkgs 'release' mode --not without cemi's advices.

Jeeez, webkitfltk-i686 "release" is 11 MB, vs 19.9 MB for the x86_64 "asserts only".
Fifth-i686 pkg is 5.2 MB vs 10.3 MB for the x86_64!

Will test ASAP --and rebuild the webkitfltk-x86_64 if any improvments happen with the i686 build.

@cemi thank you for your answers here and on your git; wouldn't have had the time to succeed by reading the README alone with my much limited knowledge to compile.