Solved:libdesktop-agnostic/awn @ github

If you are looking for a specific 64-bit package and you can't find it in any of the 64-bit repos, please post a request for it here
Rava
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: XFCE 5.01 x86_64 + 4.0 i586

Re: libdesktop-agnostic/awn @ github

Post#1 by Rava » 06 Sep 2015, 21:02

Could you post the error messages telling you why the compile failed? I think it's better to teach how how to compile... than do all the compiling for you.
Cheers!
Yours Rava

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#2 by brokenman » 09 Sep 2015, 19:33

If there is a yawing gap between "Request" and accommodation the default title is coherently "Suggestion".
Renaming would completely resolve the issue because ALL expectation reasonable or not is moot.
Your suggestion of changing the name was considered. Personally I see no confusion at all in the title nor has anyone else in the history of the forum had any problem understanding the meaning. Keep in mind that English is my first language and I have high level qualifications in teaching said language. You simply 'request' a module and if someone has the time and knowledge they will compile it for you. If not then you respectfully accept that either nobody had the time, ability and/or interest in creating that particular module and move on. That's it.
Again... in regard to compiling that point was made in the context that it doesn't work for me.
I would like to repeat what somebody else asked. What exactly doesn't work for you? Can you supply an example of the error message? This is a rather important question. Before I even begin to try compiling this I would like a heads up on what errors I can expect to encounter. If the information is supplied and I don't have to waste what could potentially be hours compiling something just to discover for myself what the relevant error message is, then I will be happy to give this a crack. I like the idea of 'libdesktop-agnostic' but the very name makes me dubious. I see it ending in runaway dependency hell.

Lastly, please people, keep this on topic. Nobody wants to wade through pages of debating the subtle nuances of the meaning of a word. It is what it is and it stays.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

francois
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: xfce plank porteus nemesis
Location: Le printemps, le printemps, le printemps... ... l'hiver s'essoufle.

Post#3 by francois » 10 Sep 2015, 02:43

It seems that this will be a never ending discussion on how to improve modules or packages availability for porteus or slackware. Maybe we should fork this thread on that topic if you may. Or if we have an agreement the more conflictual part of the discussion be removed.

Modules requests heading seems to be appropriate to me. Alas, whether it be in this forum or in plain life, it is not because you make a request that you are necessarily automatically satisfied in your need.

Historically porteus has came a long way to provide its users with improved the availability of modules for porteus users. All we had at the begining was slackyd and this module request section. An interesting 2010 archive on the topic of modules availability that even traces back to slax-remix:
http://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=96
Hail to you brokenman, the father of usm. :wink: We will never be enough grateful.

A detailed analysis of the modules requests in this section could provide us with the ratio of requested to obtained modules. I don't know who would like to compile the information.

Personally, at the begining I used to make modules requests, with time felt dependent and tried to make some, got better at it. Realized that slack.build or building from source was a very interesting option. But also was faced with the fact that some of them where too much time consuming or impossible because of some missing prerequisites in porteus. I faced the the reality that slackware in terms of packages could not met the offer of debian, ubuntu or arch linux. Though it has other advantages.

@bluemeridian:
As it may benefit your module appetite, maybe you should help bogomips as a tester for his:
1) Script to make Slackware Compliant package of xz, deb
http://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=4577
2) pkgs.org dependencies solver:
http://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=4497

Or neko's Simple Package Manager for Debian type:
http://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=3216

And now neko's ArchLinux packages for Porteus:
http://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=4997
Prendre son temps, profiter de celui qui passe.

francois
Contributor
Contributor

Post#4 by francois » 11 Sep 2015, 21:12

Porteus-archlinux derivative is an interesting setup. I am surprised that this often visited thread does not receive more commentaries. A few thanks to Stifiling should once and a while be mentioned. Especially if we want it to be maintained.

francois
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Solved:libdesktop-agnostic/awn @ github

Post#5 by francois » 16 Sep 2015, 11:26

@bluemeridian:
Maybe some people in this thread were not not enough sensitive to your needs and to your feelings. Or maybe they did not phrased their replies in a way you felt respected. However, there is one reason why on this forum the DIY (do it yourself) approach is favored: we are a very small community and cannot realistically respond to all the needs of the less autonomous members. DIY in this context is a very empowering approach. And as such, once more autonomous, these members could help increase the needs of new arriving members. You have your opinion on slackware, and you have the right to have this opinion. This is a slackware distribution and people that work currently with it appreciate it. So please do not hurt their feelings.

It would be appreciated that your further negative commentaries be emitted in the porteus haters subsection. I close this thread.

Thanks.

francois
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Solved:libdesktop-agnostic/awn @ github

Post#6 by francois » 23 Sep 2015, 00:50

@bluemeridian:
Please send me a private message on your opinion as this thread should be closed to regular members.