GIMP

If you are looking for a specific 64-bit package and you can't find it in any of the 64-bit repos, please post a request for it here
Rava
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: XFCE 5.01 x86_64 + 4.0 i586

GIMP

Post#1 by Rava » 23 Feb 2011, 15:21

I tried to convert a running GIMP sq3 module for Remix V0.9 but get some error about

Code: Select all

gimp: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0: undefined symbol: g_dgettext
As soon as I have Porteus 1.0 alpha up and running I will try again with GIMP...

Anyhow, where to write / post stuff about tweaking Porteus into an XFCe system (like: using udev like Slax 6.1.2, and having the console programs like cdrecord, mkisofś and such in an extra module. I already mentioned / suggested that last part on the Slax forum.
So... where to post? I think " General ‹ Development " is the right place, yes?
Cheers!
Yours Rava

Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs
Distribution: LXDE & Xfce 32/64-bit

Re: GIMP

Post#2 by Ahau » 24 Feb 2011, 17:50

Hi Rava,

Your posts about getting porteus to run in XFCe should go in Other -> Unsupported Software.

Unfortunately, I don't think I can offer much help for your GIMP module...

Posted after 1 hour 22 minutes 20 seconds:
Ok, maybe I can help with GIMP...

Try this module: EDIT: LINK REMOVED--see links on later post, to updated modules.

For porteus v09 64-bit edition.

I'll convert it to .xzm on reboot and try it in v1.0 alpha 64-bit.

For me, it runs from the application menu. It also runs from the command line (gimp-2.6) but gives an error message:

(gimp-2.6:3757): LibGimpBase-WARNING **: gimp-2.6: gimp_wire_read(): error

not sure what the problem is there...I haven't tried editing any photos with it yet, so let me know if this error happens for you and if it breaks the program.

I built this with slackyd. I updated slackyd (slackyd -u), then checked dependencies (slackyd -d) to figure out which packages porteus was missing w/out gimp installed. I then downloaded the gimp .txz package (slackyd -g gimp), copied it from /var/slackyd to /porteus/optional, right clicked to convert it to a module, activated the module, and ran slackyd -d again. This prompted me to download missing dependency packages, which I did (except for those that were listed the first time I ran slackyd -d), copied, converted, and activated all of those packages, and ran slackyd -d again, to install some deps that didn't come with the first set. Once I had all deps converted to modules and had gimp running, I moved all of the required modules to a subfolder and merged them together using porteus-module-tools.

--Ahau

Posted after 24 minutes 47 seconds:
FYI, this module does not work in v1.0 alpha. I converted it from .lzm to a directory in v09, and then into .xzm in v01, and got missing dependency errors, it looks like I'll have to build it new for v01. I don't have time today, but if you get alpha up and running and would like help with this, let me know.

Posted after 23 hours 49 minutes 35 seconds:
FYI, if you've downloaded this module, it will only work if placed in /porteus/modules, so that it gets activated at startup. If I get the issue sorted out, I'll post a new module.
Please take a look at our online documentation, here. Suggestions are welcome!

Burninbush
Power user
Power user

Post#3 by Burninbush » 24 Feb 2011, 18:36

--Ahau

Posted after 24 minutes 47 seconds:
FYI, this module does not work in v1.0 alpha. I converted it from .lzm to a directory in v09, and then into .xzm in v01, and got missing dependency errors, it looks like I'll have to build it new for v01. I don't have time today, but if you get alpha up and running and would like help with this, let me know.

Posted after 23 hours 49 minutes 35 seconds:
FYI, if you've downloaded this module, it will only work if placed in /porteus/modules, so that it gets activated at startup. If I get the issue sorted out, I'll post a new module.

+++++++++++++++

Sounds like a problem I had; try lzm2xzm instead of extracting to a directory. That made a difference here.

Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs

Post#4 by Ahau » 27 Feb 2011, 16:13

I've uploaded my most recent versions of GIMP.

lzm for 64-bit porteus v09: http://www.mediafire.com/?ro26bwx51n0br7q

xzm for 64-bit porteus v1.0 alpha: http://www.mediafire.com/?nu2ti7g2zi0mua1

Per my thread in general chat, v1.0 alpha won't display an icon in the menu for GIMP if the module is activated manually after startup. It will, however, run from the command line (just use the command 'gimp'). this is an issue with porteus, not this module.

Thanks!

Rava
Contributor
Contributor

Post#5 by Rava » 10 Mar 2011, 21:02

@Ahau

Will the xzm for 64-bit porteus v1.0 alpha also work with 1.0 beta?

Not that I could run GIMP there ATM, since Xwindows don't start. http://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php? ... t=20#p1951
Cheers!
Yours Rava

Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs

Post#6 by Ahau » 10 Mar 2011, 21:20

I tried it earlier today, and GIMP did startup in Beta. I didn't try to do any editing with it, so let me know if you run into issues.

Rava
Contributor
Contributor

Post#7 by Rava » 10 Mar 2011, 21:39

I will check it out since I wanted to edit some stuff... as soon as I manage to get X and LXDE and the Nvidia driver and 1.0 beta working together. :Search:
Cheers!
Yours Rava