(Solved by Ed_P) Link on how to install new programs, thanks

If you are looking for a specific 64-bit package and you can't find it in any of the 64-bit repos, please post a request for it here
joejac
Black ninja
Black ninja
Distribution: Porteus 3.1

Post#1 by joejac » 23 Sep 2022, 20:11

Hello,
First thank you for the release of Porteus 5.0 :thumbsup:

On previous versions, I was able to install and create modules from Slackware repositories.
I had a problem with my laptop, and I was able to fix it thanks to a wonderful program called testdisk. I plan to make a USB bootable with Porteus from a tailored one created in a Virtualbox virtual machine. But I need to install several programs, some of the ones described here, including testdisk:
Top 20 Best Linux Data Recovery Tools to Recover Deleted/Corrupted Files
https://www.digitalocean.com/community/ ... very-tools

Searching in this forum I got random blank pages with error 500 from Porteus forum, sorry, I was not able to find information on the subject.
Is there a tutorial on how to install programs in Porteus?, the modules are great, but I miss some programs, thanks a lot.
Best regards
joejac
Last edited by joejac on 24 Sep 2022, 15:23, edited 2 times in total.

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Link on how to install new programs, thanks

Post#2 by Ed_P » 24 Sep 2022, 04:28

joejac wrote:
23 Sep 2022, 20:11
Searching in this forum I got random blank pages with error 500 from Porteus forum
:o Try searching using Google and add "site:forum.porteus.org " to the search string.

And use http:http://porteus.org/porteus-mirrors.html to find sites with links to /porteus/x86_64/Porteus-v5.0/modules/ for premade .xzm modules.
joejac wrote:
Is there a tutorial on how to install programs in Porteus?
There's no tutorial at this point but there is a thread discussing an alternative to USM called slapt-get that babam has developed and it includes a support app called getmod which is quite helpful creating modules. You can read about it here: slapt-get: slapt-get is an APT like system for Slackware package management.
Ed

joejac
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#3 by joejac » 24 Sep 2022, 15:20

Thanks a lot ED.
Ed_P wrote:
There's no tutorial at this point but there is a thread discussing an alternative to USM called slapt-get that babam has developed and it includes a support app called getmod which is quite helpful creating modules. You can read about it here: slapt-get: slapt-get is an APT like system for Slackware package management.
I did not remember the acronym USM, that was the application used to build the modules from Slackware repos, yes.
I will see slapt-get and also to see if I can find the modules of the programs I need y the Modules forum subject, the search gives to me a lot of blank pages :(

In this part of my life, I will have to be mobile and a bloated distro with a huge machine is not an option for me now, and I think Porteus Mate is the best choice, although I love KDE.
Best regards ED
joejac

Rava
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: XFCE 5.01 x86_64 + 4.0 i586

Post#4 by Rava » 26 Sep 2022, 04:15

Hello joejac,
back in Nov 2020 I created from the then newest version of testdisk this module
TestDisk & PhotoRec 7.2 WIP text based version without the GUI because Windoze7 managed to self-destruct and take the largest internal partition with it- it's "C:" partition or in real terms, sda2, which was a NTFS. testdisk and my own lsfind scripts suite helped a lot in recovering most data.

Since it was during the development phase of Porteus 5.0 it could be that you need an additional library now for it to work, back then it worked out of the box for me with Porteus 5.0rc and XFCE (since it is console based, the DE should not matter).

If the need is there I could create a module out of the most recent x86-64 Linux version of testdisk.
Cheers!
Yours Rava

joejac
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#5 by joejac » 27 Sep 2022, 16:25

Thanks a lot, Rava for your kind response :good: .
I rescued my laptop's home Linux partition thanks to testdisk via command line, following a tutorial, with no need for GUI. I appreciate it if you have the time to update and share your testdisk and PhotoRec modules for Porteus 5.0 It would be also great if you would like to share the module of your lsfind scripts suite, for me only testdisk was enough, but it was working on Linux, but is not the first time I have to help friends who use Windows and it is good to have those nice tools.
Thanks for posting
best regards
joejac

Rava
Contributor
Contributor

Post#6 by Rava » 27 Sep 2022, 17:19

joejac wrote:
27 Sep 2022, 16:25
It would be also great if you would like to share the module of your lsfind scripts suite
I can do that, but it's the most complex thing I ever coded, and I made lots of mistakes that I just had to keep in since I did not have the time or peace of mind to start it all over again.
It relies on empty files in the root folder of all the partitions. I choose this approach since you can reformat a device and then its UUID would change, but you could still use the same empty files as "naming" devices for the partitions.
And because empty files take away no disk space.
And you have to edit certain files that hold the info how many partitions a certain device has,
e.g.
extUSB1 - 1
extUSB2 - 1
extUSB3 - 2
ectUSB4 - 1
extUSB5 - 4
etcetera pp.

Same with the external harddisks and internal hardisks.

So, it is not something you can easily set up, it needs some work to first write the partitions the devices hold - for all your devices.
And when you change one, e.g. reformat extUSB2 into then having 2 instead of 1 partition, that needs to be edited in the file that holds the info as well.

I would love so share my lsfind suite since I deem it very helpful, but like I said, coding-wise it is not the most brilliant of my works… and I do not have the time to write easily to understand and elaborate explanations for it. Most comments are in English, but some could also be in German.

It would only work if I first share it with someone or a selected few who then try to make it work for him or themselves… and only then it could be shared with all of the community since it would be undecipherable for many people otherwise. :crazy:
Cheers!
Yours Rava

Rava
Contributor
Contributor

Post#7 by Rava » 27 Sep 2022, 23:59

back from the lsfind (which is especially helpful when the need of using testdisk arose) to testdisk itself.

I looked it over at the developers page of https://git.cgsecurity.org/cgit/testdisk/
this 2022-09-10 Fix for 2038 compatibility is listed as the newest update, and there are many more from 2022 alone, and also 2021.

Still, the newest available version is listed as 7.1
So it seems my own 7.2 WIP as linked above is the newest available one for now for some strange reasons at least according to the developers own page.

For now I do not have the time attempting to compile testdisk from scratch.
Cheers!
Yours Rava

joejac
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#8 by joejac » 02 Oct 2022, 04:06

Thanks Rava I understand, I can use System Rescue CD, that has the main tools. best regards.
joejac