Some programs request and doubts

If you are looking for a specific 32-bit package and you can't find it in any of the 32-bit repos, please post a request for it here.
csanchez
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: Porteus 4.0 Cinnamon x86

Post#1 by csanchez » 07 May 2019, 01:44

I would like the updated modules for these programs, if someone can give some download link or steps to do, I will be grateful.
Audacity
Libreoffice
Abiword, although I don't know how good is the last abiword for linux, I know just is newer than last windows version :P
UGet, something to manage the downloads after all ;P

well, i think this is all what I need for now to experiment with linux :)
yup, I'm certainly new in the linux community, to be honest I'm ok with Windows, but I want play a bit with linux and see how it can turn out :)
btw, what are the advantages (and disadvantages) from slackware vs debian and others?

kind regards.

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Post#2 by Ed_P » 07 May 2019, 03:49

Welcome csanchez.

Porteus is a modular system and modules can be gotten via USM. The 1st time you try to use you will need to click on the Update option in it's menu then click on Update All. Once done, close down USM and restart it. Then search for the programs you want.

BTW Are you really interesting in 32 bit i486 modules?
Ed

csanchez
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: Porteus 4.0 Cinnamon x86

Post#3 by csanchez » 07 May 2019, 18:16

I saw a bit USM, but this not have all the linux available software ofcourse, i'm undertant that, or is not the more updated always.
So I would like know how I can make the things when I need programs not available in some slackware package.

Some examples, I need the freebasic compiler, on windows I download the zip, extract in any folder and use setting the ide, but I don't how is here :P
Or how I can make with something like ocenaudio ocenaudio where we haven't slackware packages :(

I'm not too much interested in x64

edit: I've tried a bit more USM, I haved some problem to install audacity, abiword was installed but I can't see any entry in the menu :roll:

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Post#4 by Ed_P » 07 May 2019, 19:30

Did you Activate the abiword module? Once the USM module is created you have to Activate it to use it.

A free basic compiler. Interesting.
Ed

Slaxmax
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: KDE4

Post#5 by Slaxmax » 13 May 2019, 15:42

csanchez wrote:
07 May 2019, 18:16
I saw a bit USM, but this not have all the linux available software ofcourse, i'm undertant that, or is not the more updated always.
So I would like know how I can make the things when I need programs not available in some slackware package.

Some examples, I need the freebasic compiler, on windows I download the zip, extract in any folder and use setting the ide, but I don't how is here :P
Or how I can make with something like ocenaudio ocenaudio where we haven't slackware packages :(

I'm not too much interested in x64

edit: I've tried a bit more USM, I haved some problem to install audacity, abiword was installed but I can't see any entry in the menu :roll:
ocenaudio
Ocenaudio 3.6.4 32bits
“DNA is like a computer program but far, far more advanced than any software ever created.”
― Bill Gates, The Road Ahead