Poptray Minus for Porteus

If you are looking for a specific 32-bit package and you can't find it in any of the 32-bit repos, please post a request for it here.
sean
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Porteus v3.0 LXDE i486

Poptray Minus for Porteus

Post#1 by sean » 02 Feb 2013, 05:34

PopTray Minus is a notification area application for checking and notifying of new mail in your web account(s).

Allows the user to delete mail at the ISP.

This is a great tool for portability use. Can it be made into a module for Porteus?

Please,

http://server-pro.com/poptrayminus/

Sean

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Re: Poptray Minus for Porteus

Post#2 by brokenman » 02 Feb 2013, 16:58

Unfortunately none of the links for the latest version on the website are working for me. I see no reason why the debian package wouldn't run on Porteus (but i would need to check). You will need:

Python, QT4 and PyQt 4.4

Code: Select all

wget http://server-pro.com/poptrayminus/poptrayminus_1.2_all.deb -P /tmp
deb2xzm /tmp/poptrayminus_1.2_all.deb
activate /tmp/poptrayminus_1.2_all.xzm
To have the tray icon appear will depend on what desktop you are using.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

sean
Contributor
Contributor

Post#3 by sean » 02 Feb 2013, 19:18

brokenman,

Thanks for the reply on Poptray Minus. I'll give your suggestion a try, sometime today, I hope.

I'm using the LXDE desktop, 32-bit, as you and "fanthom" helped me with a few days ago. Running a PNY 4GB USB flash drive with 2 partitions. sdc1, ext3, 1GB, has Porteus-2.0-rc2 with the LXDE.xzm added to "base folder", sdc2, fat32, 2.77GB is simply for storage and file transfer use.

I've never tested before, but I'm excited about pitching in with Porteus when time permits. Also I'm assuming you want feedback on any hiccups I may run into. At this point I'm pretty new with Porteus and LXDE, have no idea what difference "merging modules" as opposed to "activating modules" means. So far I think I've merged modules when offered. I wish to test strictly with the LXDE module in 32 bit presently. I have a 64 bit box but no time for it right now, and I think for portability I'll run into enough 32 bit machines to keep me busy.

I have a couple of these USB sticks, identical, and I will try to go through all the steps with another one. And hopefully remember to document what I do/did along the way. At this point I have added; Mutt, nano, and Python from the Porteus package manager.

How to get Qt4 and PyQt4.4, I have no idea at this point, other than to do a Google search and download them if found. I could try the package manager now, couldn't I :-)

a)Again, being new, I have found difficulty in deleting files in LXDE. The only available trash can I can find is in the PCman file manager in the side pane. So when I click on a file, right click, choose delete, it asks me if I want to move the file to the trash can, I click yes. Then as any user, guest or root, it will not allow me to view the trash folder. It will suggest "empty trash" which I right click, and immediately a dialog box comes into view stating there was an error, and states "operation not supported. Also the bottom status line in PCman shows free space and (total space). After deleting files my free space stays the same even after re-boots, indicating to me that nothing has actually been deleted.

b)Other than that the volume control applet icon in the panel occasionally does not show, on boot-up, until the next boot, when it is a guess as to whether or not it shows again. It still shows as being installed to the panel in the panel preferences however.

c)Desktop Session Settings (Advanced Options), shows openbox-lxde, which one would expect to see. However System Tools nor Preferences offers any OpenBox configuration utility. I was able to re-configure the Desktop Pager panel applet to 8 workspaces only because I recalled seeing some mention of a hidden lxde-rc.xml file on the internet. So, just wondering if it's best this way, as I know LXDE is known for .xml configuration.

Listed last are the hardware specs of my desktop. I presently have installed Ubuntu 8.10, Ubuntu 10.04, Linux Mint Maya 13 Xfce, and Puppy Linux. Ubuntu 8.10 is my base/fallback system, however, of late I have been using Mint 13 Xfce most of the time. There is also a USB 2GB flash drive with Porteus v1.2 Xfce, and now the 4GB stick with Porteus v2.0 rc2.

Any suggestions on how to better report and document/verify findings would be appreciated.

Sincerely, I do like this distro!

Sean

System Info:

Desktop Computer: Dell Optiplex GX-260 
----------------

-Computer-
Processor		: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.00GHz
Memory		: 2061MB (362MB used)
Operating System		: Linux Mint 13 Maya
-Display-
Monitor			:Samsung SyncMaster B2330 23"
Resolution		: 1920x1080 pixels
OpenGL Renderer		: Mesa DRI R100 (RV200 5157) x86/MMX/SSE2 TCL DRI2
X11 Vendor		: The X.Org Foundation
-Multimedia-
Audio Adapter		: ICH4 - Intel 82801DB-ICH4
Audio Adapter		: USB-Audio - USB Device 0x46d
-Input Devices-
 Power Button
 Power Button
 AT Translated Set 2 keyboard
 Logitech Logitech Attack 3
 ImExPS/2 Logitech Explorer Mouse
 UVC Camera (046d:0802)
-SCSI Disks-
ATA WDC WD800BB-55HE
ATA WDC WD800BB-55HE
LITE-ON LTR-24102M

Operating System
----------------

-Version-
Kernel		: Linux 3.2.0-23-generic (i686)
Compiled		: #36-Ubuntu SMP Tue Apr 10 20:41:14 UTC 2012
C Library		: Unknown
Default C Compiler		: GNU C Compiler version 4.6.3 (Ubuntu/Linaro 4.6.3-1ubuntu5) 
Distribution		: Linux Mint 13 Maya
-Current Session-
Desktop Environment		: XFCE 4

Hamza
Warlord
Warlord
Distribution: Porteus

Post#4 by Hamza » 03 Feb 2013, 09:39

Allows the user to delete mail at the ISP.
IMAP? Or replicated POP3?
NjVFQzY2Rg==

sean
Contributor
Contributor

Post#5 by sean » 03 Feb 2013, 12:56

Hamza,

POP3 only, at the present, author says IMAP is on his to-do list.

Sean

sean
Contributor
Contributor

Post#6 by sean » 03 Feb 2013, 14:38

brokenman,

I tried, per your suggestion, last evening without success with Poptray Minus. 99% of the problem is me and my lack of knowledge in doing this type of work.

Eventually, I went back to Porteus home and started reading, and reading, etc. I have lots yet to read. You folks have some wonderful documentation to digest.

I know you are busy with getting out of 2.0 rc mode and into 2.0 stable distribution. So, let me keep reading for the time being. I'm not going anywhere, just trying to learn what I need to know. I did notice FAQ #14 on how to report bugs, and I read it too :-)

Sincerely,

Sean

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#7 by brokenman » 03 Feb 2013, 22:18

How to get Qt4 and PyQt4.4, I have no idea at this point

Since Porteus is a slackware based distro you can use any of the slackware package managers to install packages. There is another built in package manager that you may find useful. It is a CLI (Command Line Interface) application called slackyd.

slackyd -u  # Update the slackyd database
slackyd -s qt # Search for qt4 packages
slackyd -g qt-4.8.2-i486-4 # Download the qt-4 package
It will land in /var/slackyd

Now you can either install it directly or convert to a module

installpkg /var/slackyd/qt-4.8.2-i486-4*  # install it
txz2xzm /var/slackyd/qt-4.8.2-i486-4.txz /var/slackyd/qt-4.8.2-i486-4.xzm  # Convert to module
activate /var/slackyd/qt-4.8.2-i486-4.xzm  # Activate the module
Regarding your trash can problem please install gvfs using one of the methods above. LXDE requires it for trash i believe.

Other than that the volume control applet icon in the panel occasionally does not show
This is strange. Do you have two sound cards?

So, just wondering if it's best this way, as I know LXDE is known for .xml configuration.
Yes the .xml file is the best way to configure your desktop count. Glad you dug around and found it!

Ahau has done a wonderful job with the documentation. Full credit to him for organizing everything. By learning Porteus (slackware) you are at the roots of linux. If you can tweak slackware you will be comfortable in any linux distro. Good luck.

PS: If you post poptray in the 'module request' section someone may be kind enough to compile it. I will add it to the package manager in any case.

sean
Contributor
Contributor

Post#8 by sean » 04 Feb 2013, 03:46

Thanks brokenman, for all your efforts on my behalf.

This is strange. Do you have two sound cards?
No sir, only one.

I was able to follow your lead and download, and convert from .txz to .xzm the gvfs file. I need to study the trash situation a bit as it still gives me the same error message(s).

PS: If you post poptray in the 'module request' section someone may be kind enough to compile it. I will add it to the package manager in any case.
Do you mean for me to post the actual file, because I thought this was the 'module request section'? And would it matter if is a tar.gz or .deb file, any preference there?

Thanks again,

Sean

Hamza
Warlord
Warlord

Post#9 by Hamza » 04 Feb 2013, 08:05

Did you successfully complied Poptray? Or do you need some help for this?
NjVFQzY2Rg==

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#10 by brokenman » 05 Feb 2013, 00:31

Yes you're right. This is the module request section! How did i get here? I must have wandered in the wrong door. I'll try to compile this tomorrow for you, unless Hamza does it in the meantime.

sean
Contributor
Contributor

Post#11 by sean » 05 Feb 2013, 12:38

Hello Hamza, and brokenman,

I'm humbled by your kind offers to help me compile poptrayminus. My compiling experience is very limited, having done it once or twice successfully when I had the correct libraries installed.

So, yes, I accept, and thank you both!

The Poptray Minus homepage is located here:

http://server-pro.com/poptrayminus

At the bottom of the page are download links for:

v1.2, Debian/Ubuntu package (poptrayminus_1.2_all.deb) 28.4 KB
and
v1.2, Original source tarball (poptrayminus-1.2.0.tar.gz) 38.5 KB

I hope I've posted this correctly, and again thanks for your interest in assisting me. Nice to meet you today Hamza! Sorry I'm not as fast at learning as you younger fella's, I'm still reading Porteus documentation.

Sean

Hamza
Warlord
Warlord

Post#12 by Hamza » 09 Feb 2013, 00:48

Please try this module.

It doesn't contains the package information file. This way, the module could not be put on official repository nor described as correct Porteus module.

Thanks
NjVFQzY2Rg==

sean
Contributor
Contributor

Post#13 by sean » 09 Feb 2013, 03:09

Hamza,

Fantastic, and "Thank You" very much for your efforts in making Poptray Minus a new module for Porteus. It works perfectly! I even created a ".desktop" file and put it in the startup folder, and that works perfectly also, shows up in the notification area of the desktop panel. And I've already seen it work. This is Great !

That was so wonderfully kind of you to compile that program for me and the Porteus community. I see by the number of your posts, that you must have made many friends here. Now you can certainly add another one :-)

All you people here at Porteus are so kind and generous with your help, this is an outstanding group of friends and associates. I am no computer prodigy, and I did not, and do not want to ask too much of you folks in the way of help. I know you are all busy trying to get Porteus 2.0 Final out to the users. So, please let me know if there is anything I can do for you and or Porteus.

Thanks again Hamza,

Sean

Hamza
Warlord
Warlord

Post#14 by Hamza » 09 Feb 2013, 12:07

You're welcome! :)
NjVFQzY2Rg==

solnyshok
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: Porteus 2.1x64 @64GB microSDHC

Post#15 by solnyshok » 16 Aug 2013, 16:05

Sorry to ressurect old thread, and a bit offtopic, but in the first post you say that you have sdc1 as ext3 and second partition as FAT. I always thought that windows sees only first partition on the USB drive and therefore, it it should see only ext3, complain about damaged or unformatted USB and your FAT should not be readable on Windows host. Is that true? Or is it working OK for you?