Here you can post about non-standard installation methods
(for example when using grub4dos).
easy
White ninja
White ninja

linux running in RAM with KDE4

Post#1 by easy » 14 Jul 2012, 21:11

Hi

I am looking for a linux running all in RAM with KDE4 and would like don't to install it but only start ir from hard disk where it would be available as vmlinuz, initrd and for ex. porteus.sfs (sqashed file system) and intent to remaster it with my lovely applications.

to do it, I usually open the iso, copy above files from the iso into an hard disk directory and start the system with grub legacy. what is to enter in menu.lst of grub legacy to do it?

is porteus an adequate system for my purposes and where can I found a depository or list of extensions / packages to see if if I can found all what I need?

wread
Module Guard
Module Guard
Distribution: Porteus v5.0-kde-64 bits

Re: linux running in RAM with KDE4

Post#2 by wread » 14 Jul 2012, 21:56

Welcome on board, easy!

What you are describing, is the normal Copy to Ram option of Porteus. You just make frugal install in your HD and at start choose copy to ram option, and you are done!

Almost all available linux applications are there for you, most bleeding edges :Yahoo!:
Porteus is proud of the FASTEST KDE ever made.....(take akonadi, nepomuk and soprano out and you will have a decent OS).
The Porteus Community never sleeps!

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Post#3 by fanthom » 15 Jul 2012, 08:40

what is to enter in menu.lst of grub legacy to do it?
i have posted sample grub legacy entries in this thread:
http://porteus.org/forum/viewtopic.php? ... 6874#p6874

please use Porteus Package Manager to download apps with dependency resolution.
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

easy
White ninja
White ninja

Post#4 by easy » 16 Jul 2012, 09:02

hi

thank you very much

it did start :beer:

but after that I did try to install the KDE4 and it did work but only till the KDE loggin because KDE did require user and password and refuse both standard (root / toor or guest / guest); nothing to do else reinstall with KDE 3.5 :%)

and I don't will have firefox as standar browser.

what is to do to change it completely in the system including task bar at the bottom?

Hamza
Warlord
Warlord
Distribution: Porteus

Post#5 by Hamza » 16 Jul 2012, 15:18

Because default keyboard layout is QWERTY.
NjVFQzY2Rg==

easy
White ninja
White ninja

Post#6 by easy » 16 Jul 2012, 20:36

je ne comprends pas du tout ce que le clavier vient faire la dedans!
I absolutely don't understand what the kb does in this matter! I only want to pass the loggin of the KDE4 and erase firefox (I prefer Konqueror and would perhaps like to dispose of Seamonkey as it has a really superior HTML editor!

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Post#7 by fanthom » 16 Jul 2012, 21:30

@easy

first of all: are you using 32bit edition?
KDE did require user and password and refuse both standard (root / toor or guest / guest);
make sure you select 'kde4 desktop' as your session choice.
what is to do to change it completely in the system including task bar at the bottom?
have a look here:
link

cheers
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

Hamza
Warlord
Warlord
Distribution: Porteus

Post#8 by Hamza » 16 Jul 2012, 21:34

je ne comprends pas du tout ce que le clavier vient faire la dedans!
Quand vous saisissez vos identifiants avec un autre keymap que l'azerty , il est fort probable que vos identifiants soit refusé car ils ne correspondent pas avec ceux "tapé" sous le keymap AZERTY. La raison est simple, les touches que vous croyais utiliser ne sont pas les mêmes en QWERTY tels que Q en QWERTY est la touche A en AZERTY

Une comparaison des deux keymaps QWERTY & AZERTY Keymaps

It's simple as the details you typed in loginbox is not the one you think. If you have a AZERTY keybord, your password should be converted to QWERTY keymap.
Example : When I would like to type Hamza with a QWERTY Layout and a AZERTY keyboard, I will type Ha,wq instead of Hamza

The end, Please respect other users who doesn't speak French by using only English language on universal forums. If you have a question, I can answer you in French on French Forums in 'Other Languages' sections of both architecture.
NjVFQzY2Rg==

easy
White ninja
White ninja

Post#9 by easy » 17 Jul 2012, 08:35

Hm

Thank you again,

... but it is really not easy :bad: !

I did reinstall 4..5 times (and erase my own /dev/sda2/boot :cry: because porteus catches the name for himself, it was my error, of course, but I dont understand why the creator did full up a central system directory with the specific stuff of her system... it was possible to create and use a subdirectory /dev/sda2/boot/porteus as long I did not install the KDE4 but nothing to do to start with KDE4 with this starting parameters).

So I did reinstall as proposed using /boot without subdir for porteus :evil: and install the KDE4 from main menu of KDE3.5.

Same success as at the first time: no possibility to enter the user + password and continue to enter the KDE4 although I did select 'kde4 desktop' as my session choice.

But porteus did accept LXDE so I am using the kribbel window manager LXDE with Konqueror Version 4.8.2 now :wall: . That works...

Divers stuff don' t work any more:

- LXDE give me the choice for only 4 keyboards and no variant (I am using "US intl"). changes in the "KDE System Settings" were registered but seem to have no effect, of course, in LXDE :sorry: . as I am a French and German writer it is really bad for me (ok, I would may use the German layout but my hardware is not German but Swiss variant German and I am not accoutumated to write with the German layout and will not accoutumate me to do that :fool: because I write the "US intl" layout 'blind' !): I can't write correctly any more...

- "Porteus package manager" seems don' t to operate any more since KDE4 is installed

- "Koffice load" seems don't to be proposed for KDE4 (it was an option independant from "Porteus package manager" under KDE3.5)? and I don't know the name of the adequate command to enter it in the "terminal" to see if some error message appears.

- I see no selection in the menu to turn the LXDE off and go back to KDM to enter a new window manager choice... And I didn't have success try to start the KDE4 from the command line using "startx kde" or "startx kde4"

- I did select now Konqueror as my main browser in LXDE but I suppose I will have no permanent effect under KDE4 (ok, it is not actual as I can't select KDE4 now)...

Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs
Distribution: LXDE & Xfce 32/64-bit

Post#10 by Ahau » 17 Jul 2012, 19:38

Hi easy,

I am not sure why kde4 is not opening for you from the login manager (maybe wread can help us out here, since he put together the kde4 module for 32-bit), but if you are trying to login with 'startx', then please first run the command 'xwmconfig', select kde4 from the list, and then run 'startx'. xwmconfig will generate an .xinitrc file in your ~/ folder to start the specified desktop. While this may not be ideal for logging in to kde4, it may work to the point where you can test a little more to find the source of the problem.

I'm not entirely familiar with the keymap selector in lxde, but in most cases, there is a limit of four keymappings that can be managed by an application for swapping. You will probably need to remove one of the existing keymappings from the list inside a configuration window, and then add in french. However, it may be easier to use a cheatcode for this: 'kmap=fr' will set your keymap to french inside your x session, without having to mess with anything in the panels. Go here for more information on cheatcodes: http://porteus.org/component/content/ar ... -them.html

If you boot into lxde and log out, there should be a button in the lower left corner of your screen for selecting the desktop. It is in a different location than the login window for trinity (trinity uses trinity display manager, and lxde uses 'lxdm', the lxde display manager, so the buttons and menus are different).

I hope that helps address some of your issues...
Please take a look at our online documentation, here. Suggestions are welcome!

easy
White ninja
White ninja

Post#11 by easy » 18 Jul 2012, 07:30

hi
I am using now the KDE4 and Konqueror from Porteus installed from the official ISO for KDE 3.5 and upgradded to KDE4.
I did reinstall.
After first installation I did add a amount of stuff finded in the repository (as I did meet difficulties using the Porteus package manager last time).
After that I did restart.
The wrong WM did reappear.
I did quit the session and go in console mode. Then I did enter "startkde" and KDE 4 came really.

It came
- with black background
- the shackhand between subwindows and daughter subwindows don't happen friendly: you have to help hitting the key's oppened at the bottom panel
- very slow (for this reason: the system waits)
- I did try to install the Koffice from Debian with the Porteus package manager: very hard because of the extremly numerous daughter subwindows!
- the Porteus package manager says that it is activated but nothing happens: entering kspread or Kspread in the console does not more. nothing...