Gparted Live UEFI surprise!

Here you can post about your various experiences with PC hardware. You can also post about hardware that is not compatible with the linux kernel or not recommended for use with Porteus.
nanZor
Shogun
Shogun
Distribution: Porteus 5.01 x86-64 LXDE

Gparted Live UEFI surprise!

Post#1 by nanZor » 25 Nov 2021, 03:06

Fired up a Gparted Live usb for a project on a very modern (post 2015) uefi-only computer.

But I didn't use the iso! (which wouldn't work on this box).

The simple solution to my surprise was to download the amd-64 ZIP file instead. And simply unarchive that to a usb thumb drive and boot.

Gparted Live, like Porteus, has either a shell script mkboot.sh or an exe to make the drive bootable as the final step:

https://gparted.org/liveusb.php

But here is the best part! On modern machines, step 5 (running the shell or exe file) to make it bootable it is not necessarily needed at all!

Unbelievable. I can simply unarchive either Porteus or Gparted live, without having to use the boot script / exe and get on with business. Wow.

I had seen this tip about Porteus' ease of installation on very modern uefi-only machines, and when I saw that in Gparted Live, thought I'd give that a go (skipping step 5, or the boot script). Well, whaddya' know? Awesome.
That's a UNIX book - cool. -Garth