Porteus Boot up

Here you can post about your various experiences with PC hardware. You can also post about hardware that is not compatible with the linux kernel or not recommended for use with Porteus.
Jack
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Porteus and Nemesis

Porteus Boot up

Post#1 by Jack » 20 Oct 2021, 18:55

I want to boot on a Laptop but it won't boot up like my other one so I would like to get help.

My USB3 has 2 partition first is fat32 and the other is ext4. The sdb1 is fat32 which has all the boot files and the other is sdb2 which has Porteus directory on it.

Laptop
It is a Acer Aspire ES1-711

Boot Mode [UEFI]
Secure Boot [Enabled]

Boot up area
Boot priority order:

1 USB FDD
2 USB HDD
3 Windows Boot Manager
4 HDD: ST500LT012-1DG142
5 ATAPI CDROM: MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ8HC
6 Network Boot-IPV4
7 USB CDROM:
8 Network Boot-IPV6

Any help would be great.
I just like Slackware because I think it teach you about Linux to build packages where Ubuntu is like Windows you just install programs you want.

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Porteus Boot up

Post#2 by Ed_P » 20 Oct 2021, 21:01

1. Disable Secure Boot.

2. Report what you see when booting and all error messages.
Ed

Jack
Contributor
Contributor

Porteus Boot up

Post#3 by Jack » 20 Oct 2021, 22:04

It showed this
Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller Series v2.59 (01/13/14)
PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable

PXE-M0F: Exiting PXE ROM.
No bootable device-- insert boot disk and press any key
I just like Slackware because I think it teach you about Linux to build packages where Ubuntu is like Windows you just install programs you want.

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor

Porteus Boot up

Post#4 by Ed_P » 20 Oct 2021, 23:51

How did you create the USB drive?
Ed

Jack
Contributor
Contributor

Porteus Boot up

Post#5 by Jack » 21 Oct 2021, 00:09

I create the USB3 with 2 partition 50mb sdb1 fat32 and a 14.5gb sdb2 ext4 file system. I built that so if I got a new Laptop that use the newer not the old way. My Dell inspiron 1525 the old way threw the bios I think.

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor

Porteus Boot up

Post#6 by Ed_P » 21 Oct 2021, 03:54

What version of Porteus are you installing to the USB drive?

What OS are you using to do the install from? Basically did you run Porteus-installer-for-Linux.com or Porteus-installer-for-Windows.exe?
Ed

Jack
Contributor
Contributor

Porteus Boot up

Post#7 by Jack » 21 Oct 2021, 05:14

I don't use any type of Microsoft Windows, I installing Porteus 5.0rc3 MATE and the first copy of it was made from my version of Mate made in 2018.

I use GParted to get the USB3 setup then I copy all the files to it. I use sh Porteus-installer-for Linux.com to make it bootable. I use it tell I got that Acer Laptop then the USB3 which has Porteus on, then I plug it in the USB3 port. At that point I turn on the Laptop and receive that error

I been using Porteus since version 2.1 full time and Window 7 every blue moon.

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor

Porteus Boot up

Post#8 by Ed_P » 21 Oct 2021, 15:21

Is your Acer Laptop the 32-bit version? There is a problem with the Porteus 5.0rc3 installer on 32-bit systems.

Added in 45 minutes 4 seconds:
Some notes from my USB install script.

Code: Select all

## Run GParted to partition & format the USB drive with a msdos Partition table.  ##
##  View > Device Information to check Partition Table type.                      ##
## Use GParted's Device > Create Partition Table if Partition Table shows as GPT. ##
## Or under Windows use:                                                          ##
## > diskpart          * Run Command Prompt with Admin Rights.                    ##
## > list disk                                                                    ##
## >....                                                                          ##
## > select disk 1     * Note: disk nbr is the nbr of the USB disk                ##
## > clean                                                                        ##
## > exit                                                                         ##
Ed

Jack
Contributor
Contributor

Porteus Boot up

Post#9 by Jack » 21 Oct 2021, 17:17

I don't think they make 32bit any more but yes it a 64bit version even my Dell was a 64bit version .

Here is the spec of the Acer Laptop. https://icecat.biz/p/acer/nx.ms2et.001/ ... 08380.html

Jack
Contributor
Contributor

Porteus Boot up

Post#10 by Jack » 21 Oct 2021, 17:50

Back in 2017 right before Walmart inventory they sold some old Laptop cheap. I bought 2 Acer 1 for me and the other for my wife.

The one in question is my wife since she lives in a bed for over 2 years because she can't walk.

For your info I forgot I even had those 2 Laptop tell I found them yesterday. Mind is running Nemesis Mate and hers is going to run Porteus Mate. I'm now going to retire my Dell Laptop.

Jack
Contributor
Contributor

Porteus Boot up

Post#11 by Jack » 22 Oct 2021, 04:45

I'm going to buy a new USB3.1 and then I try it again I don't want to delete what I have on the one I have. I will get back soon. Thanks Ed_P

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor

Porteus Boot up

Post#12 by Ed_P » 22 Oct 2021, 05:07

Jack, copy your files on the current USB to your Acer's harddrive, use GParted to insure there is a Partition Table on the USB drive, if doing that deletes your files, restore them from the harddrive.

Another approach, after backing up your files, format the whole USB drive as FAT32, copy All the Porteus files in the Porteus ISO to the USB drive, run the Porteus-installer-for Linux.com, try booting the USB drive in the new Acer. That should work if your drive is less than 64GB, if it's bigger format it as exFAT and copy the files to it and try booting it. I've never tried exFAT with UEFI booting but I have heard it works.

Once the USB drive is bootable then try using GParted to create the ext4 partition on the drive. Verify that it is still bootable after doing that. If it is then move the files where you want them to be.
Ed

Jack
Contributor
Contributor

Porteus Boot up

Post#13 by Jack » 22 Oct 2021, 06:11

Well I did what you told me and now it works and I thought my Dell was fast well it was slow compare to both of the Acer Laptop's.

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor

Porteus Boot up

Post#14 by Ed_P » 22 Oct 2021, 06:14

Jack wrote:
22 Oct 2021, 06:11
I did what you told me and now it works
:Yahoo!: :celebrate3: :good: :beer:
Ed

Jack
Contributor
Contributor

Porteus Boot up

Post#15 by Jack » 22 Oct 2021, 07:04

I remember when I bought those 2 Acer Laptop the touchpad didn't work with Porteus Mate but it works great now. Now I am up to speed for a few more years. If was easy I would change the Hard Drive because I don't need a 500gb and a 1tb for Porteus. I don't like Windows 8 or 10 if I had a Windows 7 I would install it but I don't.