porteus on raspi-clone "odroid c4" possible?

Here you can post about your various experiences with PC hardware. You can also post about hardware that is not compatible with the linux kernel or not recommended for use with Porteus.
att
Contributor
Contributor

Post#1 by att » 21 Sep 2021, 11:42

Hello,
I am sure this sounds like a foolish question....
but I would love to see a "Porteus" version for the raspberry-Pi and their clones, especially for "Odroid c4" (which I am currently using).
Is there any possibility to port Porteus to such hardware? Personally I would love to use an Odroid C4 in kiosk mode...
If this is possible, how can this be done? I am no Linux newbie, but I am sure the cross-compiling is a huge step... any help?
Otherwise, I am seeking for a tiny distro that matches my needs... and yes, I am aware of "DietPi" distro, but it is still too large for me, and boots too slow!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Post#2 by fanthom » 21 Sep 2021, 12:34

Hi att,

If switching the hardware is an option for you then Rock Pi X works well with Porteus Kiosk:
https://hackerboards.com/boards/rock-pi-x/

It should also work with standard Porteus Desktop systems.

TBH - ARM recompilation is not worth the time and effort when you have a working Intel solution.

Thanks
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

att
Contributor
Contributor

Post#3 by att » 21 Sep 2021, 15:25

Sorry, I absolutely need it on ARM...
If you have a working toolchain that spits out a complete porteus image, and which can cross-compile to ARM, please by all means let me know, and possibly share it. :D
I have a larger PC here with lots of RAM and CPU power for recompilation of, well, nearly anything.... for which task I usually use a VM.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post#4 by fanthom » 21 Sep 2021, 16:24

Unfortunately i dont have it.

I have given up on ARM few years ago when I found it causes a lot of problems ...

Rava
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: XFCE 5.01 x86_64 + 4.0 i586

Post#5 by Rava » 22 Sep 2021, 04:20

fanthom wrote:
21 Sep 2021, 12:34
ARM recompilation is not worth the time and effort when you have a working Intel solution.
att wrote:
21 Sep 2021, 15:25
Sorry, I absolutely need it on ARM...
I don't get what fanthom meant.

ARM is a different architecture that Intel compatible systems - AMD or Intel CPUs are all compatible to each other, so that most of the generic software for Intel systems runs on both. (One could still get a few % more speed if one compiles the most used software especially towards the capabilities of the used CPU, meaning that OS or Software would only run on very similar systems and not or even slower on all others)

But ARM, while sharing some similarities like multi-core CPUs is a complete different hardware.

One could try taking a Android App and trying to run it in a Intel-PC Linux since both Android and Linux are both Linux,right?

Well, it would not work. Sure, Android is a Linux, but it is compiled for the ARM hardware and only runs on ARM, same with Intel-compatible Linux, that would not run on a Android Smartphone or Tablet, and also not on any other ARM hardware.

Or am I mistaken?
Cheers!
Yours Rava

ncmprhnsbl
DEV Team
DEV Team
Distribution: v5.0-64bit

Post#6 by ncmprhnsbl » 22 Sep 2021, 04:45

well, there's this: Porteus-ARM (in a state of rest)
and this: http://arm.slackware.com/releases/
and many of the major distros have an ARM port (unofficial or otherwise)
but look at this: https://archlinuxarm.org/packages
see the arch column? there are quite a number of sub categories of ARM type architectures, it seems..
Forum Rules : https://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=44

Rava
Contributor
Contributor

Post#7 by Rava » 22 Sep 2021, 05:03

ncmprhnsbl wrote:
22 Sep 2021, 04:45
but look at this: https://archlinuxarm.org/packages
see the arch column? there are quite a number of sub categories of ARM type architectures, it seems..
Seems ARM is not that homogenous than Intel-compatible PCs, eh?
Cheers!
Yours Rava

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post#8 by fanthom » 22 Sep 2021, 07:13

"Seems ARM is not that homogenous than Intel-compatible PCs, eh?"
Exactly.

If you create an ISO for x86_64 arch then it works on all 64bit Intel/AMD PCs.

If you create and ISO for an ARM SBC then it works only on that ARM SBC (well - sometimes its enough to update DTB file to boot on another SBC but not always).

See how many versions LibreElec has for ARM:
https://libreelec.tv/downloads/

This is only for Amlogic:
https://libreelec.tv/downloads/amlogic/

Here are images for Rockchip:
https://libreelec.tv/downloads/rockchip/

For Allwinner:
https://libreelec.tv/downloads/allwinner/

How many people are needed to maintain this crap?
ARM is a damn mess - just avoid.

Rava
Contributor
Contributor

Post#9 by Rava » 22 Sep 2021, 07:21

fanthom wrote:
22 Sep 2021, 07:13
How many people are needed to maintain this crap?
Not as many needed who are both skilled and motivated, I's say. :celebrate3:
fanthom wrote:
22 Sep 2021, 07:13
ARM is a damn mess - just avoid.
I guess you have no smartphone, then?
Cheers!
Yours Rava

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post#10 by fanthom » 22 Sep 2021, 07:31

From the consumer perspective ARM is great.
From the developer perspective ARM is a nightmare.

I'm talking from the developer perspective.
If someone asks me for an ARM port i say "NO" and redirect to Rock PI X which is similar in price, performance and most importantly: just works.

Thanks

Rava
Contributor
Contributor

Post#11 by Rava » 22 Sep 2021, 10:49

fanthom wrote:
22 Sep 2021, 07:31
From the consumer perspective ARM is great.
From the developer perspective ARM is a nightmare.

I'm talking from the developer perspective.
I do not understand why so many companies refuse to form alliances for standards. Why do bigger companies refuse standards created by smaller companies when, just realistically spoken, the smaller company managed to create the better standard.

Sometimes they can, e.g. look into which companies created the USB standards, or the E-SATA standards.

Like with video cassette systems. Of the 3 that were created, the European Video2000 was the best, followed by Sony's Beta and by far the worst was VHS.
Which won in the end just by the might of the companies supporting it? VHS did.

That is good for now one, the consumers had the lowest quality system for no reason.

Setting standards as high and precise as possible is the best way to do things. In a few years technology marched on and creating hardware and software is easy.

One example to illustrate that
When the Video-DVD standard was created the available hardware struggled with strong and secure encoded video, cause that needs lots of processing. Encoding sound is easie5r since the data amount is much smaller.

The Nordic guy who created deCSS did so because the stupid Hollywood and Microsoft and Apple forgot one segment of the PC market - Linux.
Now you owned Video DVDs, had a DVD player in your PC and the overall hardware was easily able to play DVDs, but there was no free (as in beer) Linux software to do so.

The answer install Windows on a PC, if you not have it pay for it, Free (as in beer and freedom) software is for the stupid. (Which is a stupid argument, using Linux lets you on a path of exploring, you get many tools to automatize stuff, creating a 2k script that does a task in 2 seconds that would take you 30 minutes every time you need to do it sounds good? Indeed it is so, even when first it might take you half a day or even several days to first create the script, but then every time the task comes along it is done quasi instantaneously while the co-workers have to do the minimum 30 minutes work on it.)

Often in the past that meant that in the first few years only the already established companies can put out good quality systems, but newer and smaller companies can in a few years also produce good enough quality that is able to adhere to strict standards. Because technology marches on, and standard X 1.0 is that 10 years ago, but when it is V1.0 it is still the same 20 years in the future.

I have no clue why there is so much disorganisation with the ARM architectures. Was it like with the 3 Tape Video systems in late 1970s and in the 1980s? Because larger companies want to push inferior standards and smaller ones created better stuff but ignored inferior standards? Or many companies only wanted to push own standards and ignore all competing ones, be they as good as the own stuff or even better?
I have no clue why that was with ARM, but it is stupid. We have Millions of years of evolution in our shared past and some of the top brass still act like spoiled brats in the sand-box, only interested in own narrow minded personal goals and ignoring the better good for more people cause it not echoes their sometime outright pathologically narcissistic nature.
Cheers!
Yours Rava

beny
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge

Post#12 by beny » 22 Sep 2021, 12:55

hi this is only a link to start if someone can dig into it to port....
https://www.linuxquestions.org/question ... 175681622/

francois
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: xfce plank porteus nemesis
Location: Le printemps, le printemps, le printemps... ... l'hiver s'essoufle.

Post#13 by francois » 19 Feb 2022, 03:22

@fanthom:
Will all rock pi work with porteus? I the X version a good quality price ratio for its performance? Where would you purchase it from?

Thanks.
Prendre son temps, profiter de celui qui passe.