No run of Porteus on Acer Aspire 1353XV

Here you can post about your various experiences with PC hardware. You can also post about hardware that is not compatible with the linux kernel or not recommended for use with Porteus.
MarktheFloot
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: Porteus

Post#1 by MarktheFloot » 02 Apr 2020, 10:39

Help, someone! I have tried all the available versions of Porteus on my Acer Aspire 1353XV, which is currently running Windows 7 as an experiment, and happily runs Puppy. No joy. Boot was from CDs, which is all that the computer will allow. I was wanting MATE edition, or perhaps LXDE. MATE gives me a desktop, but the screen flashes, presumably refreshing, once every two seconds
or so, and the menu button refuses to install on the toolbar; there is no mouse cursor visible. LXDE gives me the wallpaper and a trash icon, and nothing else. OpenBox gave me a desktop, but none of the menu buttons work, and nothing shown in the right click run menu will open, either. :no: Any ideas?

ncmprhnsbl
DEV Team
DEV Team
Distribution: v5.0-64bit

Post#2 by ncmprhnsbl » 03 Apr 2020, 04:12

hi, welcome to the forum :)
what sort of specs does this machine have? RAM in particular... though if it runs windows 7, that shouldn't be a problem..
"all the available versions of Porteus" .. including older versions? 32bit or 64bit?
i think puppy usually loads to ram by default? maybe try using the copy2ram boot option... it's possible your cd read speed is the bottleneck(if ram is not the problem)
Forum Rules : https://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=44

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Post#3 by Ed_P » 03 Apr 2020, 05:35

If your Acer is a 486 machine try slax 7.0.8 MarktheFloot. I just tried it on an old 586 Dell notebook and it works with working wifi too. :Yahoo!:
Ed

francois
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: xfce plank porteus nemesis
Location: Le printemps, le printemps, le printemps... ... l'hiver s'essoufle.

Post#4 by francois » 03 Apr 2020, 14:37

As ncmprhnsbl commented, there is no reason that you linux box couldn't stand porteus. :)
Prendre son temps, profiter de celui qui passe.