[SOLVED] hackin' on an Atom z8350 mini pc

Here you can post about your various experiences with PC hardware. You can also post about hardware that is not compatible with the linux kernel or not recommended for use with Porteus.
kultex
Black ninja
Black ninja
Distribution: Porteus 4.0 XFCE

Post#16 by kultex » 08 May 2019, 08:42

txh a lot for the info....

and you have sound? - normally with Z8350 it should be Everest Semi ES8316 CODEC - the driver is available in Linux -

https://cateee.net/lkddb/web-lkddb/SND_SOC_ES8316.html - didnt check, if it is available in Porteus?

here a ubuntu discussion: https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2391606

and very strange, that intel-idle uses cstate 1 instead of Wolfgang Reimers script....

[ 0.471099] intel_idle: max_cstate 1 reached

nanZor
Shogun
Shogun
Distribution: Porteus 5.01 x86-64 LXQT

Post#17 by nanZor » 10 May 2019, 10:00

Nope - no sound. No wifi. If I truly want it, I'll just use my working usb wifi dongle instead. And also thinking about a usb<>audio adapter. Problem is that the audio is only mono IF you get it working!

There is a limit to my patience these days. :)

Like everyone else chasing problems like these and pronouncing a fix, only to have it fail a few days later, I think I'll make this pronouncement:

On *this box*, the following 3 cheatcodes provided the most stability - other codes seem optional

noacpi - something funky in their acpi. But can't turn it totally off.
intel_max.cstate=1 - or 0. The z8350 on this box needs it.
quiet - lets me get past the underline in the upper corner and progress to graphics. Fastboot does not seem to be an issue.

Season to taste with other codes, but these 3 seem to be the champs. Getting very near to putting the box under my boot. :)
That's a UNIX book - cool. -Garth

nanZor
Shogun
Shogun

Post#18 by nanZor » 13 May 2019, 21:46

Tilting at windmills ...

Even though listed as solved, there are still random times when the system does not boot back up properly, requiring an fsck on my internal storage, etc - or shutting down the monitor and keyboard. This is soooo frustrating.

I may have tracked down the *real* issue (said before). i2C power management problems.

So now my major cheatcodes are these:

intel_idle.max_cstate=1

initcall_blacklist=i2c_dw_init_master,i2c_dw_probe

For now, these have really calmed down some of the restart/reboot/shutdown issues. Kind of getting tired of this toy hardware, but I just can't let go for some reason. :)

nanZor
Shogun
Shogun

Post#19 by nanZor » 19 May 2019, 20:37

Ultimate solution found! Shelved the box. This, along with all the Intel cpu security problems is too much. The little 1ghz Vnopn box running AMD works just perfectly with Porteus.

nanZor
Shogun
Shogun

Post#20 by nanZor » 24 Mar 2021, 23:47

Pulled it back off the shelf!

Ultimate solution is to run 5.0 RC2 for now.

Totally usable, without any cheatcodes. No wifi, but I use my own linux-compatible dongles to cure that.

The only thing is not to shutdown too quickly after boot (ie rapid-fire recycling for testing cheatcodes, etc), or sometimes at random, after it exits acpid, the system will just hang and not halt nor power down monitor, etc.

I noticed it seems like a timing thing - if you wait long enough for the cpu speeds to step down, then an orderly shutdown takes place.

To see that, I just cat /proc/cpuinfo |grep MHz , or bring up the LXDE cpufreq front-end applet. Basically just waiting a couple of minutes before you do a shutdown and all is ok. Ie, normal use, and not frenzied power-cycling testing. :)

Thanks to Neko et al for RC2! Made the box usable and fun to use with Porteus.

lawrencejd
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: okay

Post#21 by lawrencejd » 11 Feb 2024, 15:32

Hello everyone,
I have Intel atom cpu z8350 stuck on flashing red light.any idea please