Linuxium "spun" 64-bits version for CherryTrail with 32-bits booting...

Here you can post about your various experiences with PC hardware. You can also post about hardware that is not compatible with the linux kernel or not recommended for use with Porteus.
Bicephale
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge
Distribution: Live CDs

Linuxium "spun" 64-bits version for CherryTrail with 32-bits booting...

Post#1 by Bicephale » 17 Nov 2018, 11:08

Hi there!

It's been a long while so i'm totally disconnected now, but i've been experimenting with Linux again recently and realized maybe Porteus/Slax would have something to offer in the situation described as follows...

The PC to revalorize is a cheap 2-parts LapTop/Tablet that's more like a nano-PC: the Insignia Flex 11.6 NS-P11W7100-C. At 1st i expected it would be easy and convenient to use it in combination with my network TV server so i can carry it around, euh... but then i discovered part of its peripherals only enjoy marginal Linux support and that's "flaky" at best: starting with the MMC/NCard stuff, but not only.

:sos:

Initially Windows 10 kept disturbing me so many times i eventually wanted to taste and enjoy the satisfaction of deleting its partition - and i did just that finally! - but not before having accumulated quite some redundant backup in case nothing works. Since the begining i had given my best futile efforts over quite a few ideas until i read about the 32/64 bits boot problem, and ultimately "Linuxium" which could fix it for me by "re-spinning" an ISO, at least in principle.

But the complicated reading alone made my courage plumet fast so i resorted to these ready-made downloads intead:

• linuxium-v4.17-rc6-lubuntu-18.04-desktop-amd64 (1.2G)
  • linuxium-linuxmint-18.3-xfce-64bit (1.8G)
  • linuxium-v4.17-rc6-elementaryos-0.4.1-stable.20180214 (1.8G)
  • linuxium-atom-ubuntu-18.04.1-desktop-amd64 (2.1G)

Though in practice only Ubuntu completed installation so i could get a better perspective now of what i don't like about such hardware: it's still the i2C bus on which too many of this machine's peripherals depend (as i recall) i'm afraid; although i do seem to have gained access to its internal MMC drive and micro-SD flash card reader (with a 128 GB ammovible limit) i regret to admit trouble with the later occurs after a few minutes: the only semi-reliable use i got for it under Linux is for brief file accesses. Music plays but when i try videos it's like the more i use it the faster it fails. That's why i suspect this bottleneck may never be resolved and hence i'm back to days with Slax/Porteus run from RAM memory... But that's forgetting the 32/64 bits problem created by its peculiar boot loader, whatever.

Euh...

It's so tiresome i'm starting to regret posting about it too, because the more i write the less clear it feels! :juggler:

All i know with confidence is that the MMC and micro-SD storage spaces may work fine and long enough to load an "image" of Linux in RAM, with VLC Media Player, LiRC support for an MCE remote control and BlueTooth/WiFi for wireless earphones and internet access. This is a proper challenge for Slax/Porteus the larger Linux flavour may be unfit for, considering the limited RAM memory of 2GB only... In any case having Ubuntu installed on its internal 32GB MMC/NCard i could compare with its "Live" version and that's why i'm here now: "Live" mode, with a tist, suggesting the Linuxium trend is a perfect niche where Slax/Porteus can effectively shine, because those have a long history with severely limited material that looses value fast at the hands of Microsoft Windows and even regular Linux releases. Instead of a flash USB thumb drive the image can reside on MMC space i figure.

Years ago inclusion of PlOP was a nice gesture in favour of compatibility, perhaps a Linuxium spin would make a great update to that today.

My 2 cents. :lightbulb:

I feel like expressing admiration for keeping up the good work despite adversity in a consumer's world anyway!

:thumbsup: