[SOLVED] Asus EEEPC 1101 HaG and GMA500

Here you can post about your various experiences with PC hardware. You can also post about hardware that is not compatible with the linux kernel or not recommended for use with Porteus.
guimenez
White ninja
White ninja

Re: [SOLVED] Asus EEEPC 1101 HaG and GMA500

Post#16 by guimenez » 29 Oct 2011, 16:55

Sorry for my newbie :(

I've made lots of tests and its was my fault.

I've download again the 32 bits iso "Porteus-v1.0-i486.iso"

And the Wireless its working perfect :D:D:D:D

But i still don't have the lspci

But it works now.

BIG THANKS once again for the great project

Hamza
Warlord
Warlord
Distribution: Porteus

Post#17 by Hamza » 29 Oct 2011, 17:21

You are welcome :)
NjVFQzY2Rg==

Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs
Distribution: LXDE & Xfce 32/64-bit

Post#18 by Ahau » 31 Oct 2011, 15:45

I haven't logged in to double check this, but my guess is that lspci is located in /sbin/ or /usr/sbin, meaning that it is only available to the root (administrator) user, not available to the guest user.

Try this:
1) open a terminal
2) type 'su' (without the quotes) and press enter.
3) that will prompt you for a password -- type 'toor' (this is the default root password -- again, without the quotes) and press enter.
4) type 'lspci -k' and press enter.

Let us know if that works.
Please take a look at our online documentation, here. Suggestions are welcome!

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#19 by brokenman » 02 Nov 2011, 02:41

Thanks pdellu, recompiled 32bit k3.1.0 with the settings you require for this.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

guimenez
White ninja
White ninja

Post#20 by guimenez » 02 Nov 2011, 10:00

Ahau wrote:I haven't logged in to double check this, but my guess is that lspci is located in /sbin/ or /usr/sbin, meaning that it is only available to the root (administrator) user, not available to the guest user.

Try this:
1) open a terminal
2) type 'su' (without the quotes) and press enter.
3) that will prompt you for a password -- type 'toor' (this is the default root password -- again, without the quotes) and press enter.
4) type 'lspci -k' and press enter.

Let us know if that works.
Many thanks it works :)

It must be with root account.

i can't make my gma500 work.

can you help me on that please?

thanks

Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs
Distribution: LXDE & Xfce 32/64-bit

Post#21 by Ahau » 02 Nov 2011, 12:16

If pdellu's kernel, modules and instructions aren't working, I'm not really sure how to get the GMA500 running -- I know the release candidate for 32-bit version 1.1 should be out soon and will have an updated kernel, per brokenman's post above.

If you have followed pdellu's instructions, please give us the output of 'lspci -k', to check that the new psb_gfs driver is active and running, and we can start from there.
Please take a look at our online documentation, here. Suggestions are welcome!

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#22 by brokenman » 02 Nov 2011, 21:31

Uploading now.

guimenez
White ninja
White ninja

Post#23 by guimenez » 03 Nov 2011, 08:34

Ahau wrote:If pdellu's kernel, modules and instructions aren't working, I'm not really sure how to get the GMA500 running -- I know the release candidate for 32-bit version 1.1 should be out soon and will have an updated kernel, per brokenman's post above.

If you have followed pdellu's instructions, please give us the output of 'lspci -k', to check that the new psb_gfs driver is active and running, and we can start from there.
Thank you for your support.

I'm trying right now the new RC 32 bits and then i will give here feedbacks

thanks

justwantin
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#24 by justwantin » 07 Nov 2011, 09:56

Has this new driver been included in 1.1-rc1?

The reason I ask is that after using xconf to create an xorg.conf with fbdev as advised by fanthom I have the best video performance I have yet seen on on this aspire one 751h. Scrolling and desktop movement is smooth and youtube music/videos are as good as on my desktop. Mpg2 videos and avi's still fall over but they play much longer before falling out of sync or dropping frames but all in all this is a vast improvement, thanks.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#25 by brokenman » 07 Nov 2011, 13:19

Yes. During kernel compile i removed the stub driver for poulsbo and included the staging drivers instead after seeing this thread. Glad to hear it is working well for you. Sometimes a bleeding edge distro has benefits.
after using xconf to create an xorg.conf
In your porteus.cfg file you could perhaps add the required code to run xconf at boot time.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Post#26 by fanthom » 07 Nov 2011, 14:31

@justwantin
glad that it worked.
i'm guessing that VESA driver is taking priority over fbdev when 'autoexec=xconf' is not used.
i need your help to confirm this.
please boot without 'autoexec=xconf' (and remove previously generated /etc/X11/xorg.conf) to LXDE and upload /ver/log/Xorg.0.log to pastebin.com - give us a link to it.

Cheers
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

justwantin
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#27 by justwantin » 07 Nov 2011, 20:17

In your porteus.cfg file you could perhaps add the required code to run xconf at boot time.
I'm thinking problem was that the 32 bit v-1.1-rc1 iso did not set up after running lin-start-here.sh with xconf to run at boot. Sorry I'm not up to speed with how this all is working other than that.

I had been booting into porteus v-1.0 as a dual boot with salix on this machine. I just copied the kde stanza from the v-1.0 lilo.conf into salix lilo.conf and it worked. Of course that stanza had an append line that included xconf so all was fine.

The sane is true for v-1.1. I just put the v-1.1/ boot and /porteus directories into this machine after moving v-1.0 out of the way, ran lilo in salix and the graphics work fine with fbdev loaded and xorg.conf correct.
i'm guessing that VESA driver is taking priority over fbdev when 'autoexec=xconf' is not used.
Yes, I believe this is correct. My xorg.conf was using vesa.

Code: Select all

Section "Device"
Identifier  "Card0"
Driver      "vesa"
BusID       "PCI:0:2:0"
EndSection
I was booting into text mode then running startx. Each time I did this I'd get a bluured screen with desktops and mouse pointers displayed and one more running of each side. Couldn't see clearly but I knew alt-f2 then konsole would get me cli, so from memory I copied my /var/log and /etc to a partition, I also ran startx 2> /mnt/sda3/error.txt to get the error messages.

That's where I was when fanthom advised to run xconf and I realised what was happening but I was running off a usb stick and didn't put it all together until I looked at the lilo.conf in the salix install.

Here's an Xorg.0.log: http://pastebin.com/3JW9Lirz
....and if your interested here's the errors when I ran startx: http://pastebin.com/CcwEEuXT

fanthom, I tried to boot from the usb stick this morning into LXDE to do as you asked but there is no problem. Could it be that there has been a persistant change? and an xorg.conf with fbdev was saved? If I have time today I'll hose this stick and try to duplicate the problem.

Gotta go. no time to check for tyops.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post#28 by fanthom » 08 Nov 2011, 08:08

Yes, I believe this is correct. My xorg.conf was using vesa.
the problem is that xorg.conf should never be created in clean Porteus-1.1-rc1 as 'autoexec=xconf' is not enabled by default anymore.
i guess that you have booted with 'VESA' option from the menu or this file comes from previous release.
fanthom, I tried to boot from the usb stick this morning into LXDE to do as you asked but there is no problem. Could it be that there has been a persistant change? and an xorg.conf with fbdev was saved?
not sure - depends on your setup.

to make it clear:

please boot rc1 into text mode -> remove /etc/X11/xorg.conf (if present) -> please run 'xconf' and report which driver is listed in /etc/X11/xorg.conf
if fbdev, then everything should work "out of the box" even without 'autoexec=xconf' cheatcode.
if vesa then poulsbo users should edit xorg.conf (replace vesa with fbdev), save it in a module (or use /porteus/rootocpy) and also do not use 'autoexec=xconf'.

Cheers

justwantin
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#29 by justwantin » 08 Nov 2011, 19:15

OK, logged in text mode, no xorg.conf present, ran xconf, xorg.conf created with "fbdev" as the driver.

Anything else you want me to check?

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post#30 by fanthom » 08 Nov 2011, 19:42

That's fine - thanks.