The best laptop fitting linux or porteus OS

Here you can post about your various experiences with PC hardware. You can also post about hardware that is not compatible with the linux kernel or not recommended for use with Porteus.
francois
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: xfce plank porteus nemesis
Location: Le printemps, le printemps, le printemps... ... l'hiver s'essoufle.

The best laptop fitting linux or porteus OS

Post#1 by francois » 14 Jan 2011, 20:58

According to your experience what seems to be the best hadware fitting, in terms of laptop to linux or more specifically to porteus? What I mean here is what seems to be the best laptop on which linux or porteus will fit out of the box? Can you speak about their hardware components?
Prendre son temps, profiter de celui qui passe.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Re: The best laptop fitting linux or porteus OS

Post#2 by brokenman » 14 Jan 2011, 22:25

This will be a difficult question for people to answer since most people have only used a limited number of laptops. I try to boot remix/porteus each time i get a computer in to fix, and i found the older hardware worked best. These days hardware technology is increasing perpetually and so i find some newer systems have some incompatibilities. Then there is the driver nightmare for video. Companies like nvidia will continually evolve and change their system.

So for me the answer would be ... find the latest system, and go back 12 months and you should have a safe working system.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

francois
Contributor
Contributor

Post#3 by francois » 19 Jan 2011, 00:28

With a few years of experience of slax, my best bet yet had been with those computers that had intel components.

However, for sure remix and now porteus made my life a lot easier with those boxes that did not came with intel components. Here I think about bcm wifi cards, nvidia graphic cards. Porteus makes it really simpler with its huge virtual display size with any computer. With a little knowledge of xrandr it really does a good part of the job for a lot of graphic cards.

I wonder if you will recognize your experience within these few comments.

Mike_P
White ninja
White ninja

Post#4 by Mike_P » 03 Mar 2011, 15:21

Without a doubt my old IBM T43. This in fact works better on Porteus (Cooler) than win xp, also runs faster. I have problems with all three HP notebooks in the family on most of the linux OS.

Mike

quotaholic
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#5 by quotaholic » 15 May 2011, 17:22

My first post here. First of all thank you very much for continuing the Slax and or Slax-remix project.

"Best" is subject to opinion so I will say that "it" works very well with Porteus.

I am typing on an Asus T101MT. It is an EEEpc however this is the larger of the two tablets that Asus offers. The T101MT is equipped with multitouch screen and trackpad. Its cheap but its ultra portable and I find myself bringing this everywhere with me opposed to other laptops due to its easy to handle size.

Out of the box the touchscreen works. I don't know if any apps in Porteus are written to support multitouch so I cant report if the screen is fully supported or not. The trackpad works with multitouch. Just like my mac the two finger scroll works and actually better in Porteus than in windows 7. All the little laptop keys that do brightness, volume, wifi on or off and rotation are all working out of the box as well. A nice plasma osd pops up showing volume. Heh.

Wifi works great on ath9k. No bluetooth on the T101MT so I will have to wait for my usb adapter to show to test that. If anyone is interested I can post the results of the psinfo script.

This is actually huge as the number of drivers I had to install in windows to support this level of functionality leaves me with no less than 67 running processes. Having all of this functionality natively supported on Porteus allows Porteus to perform better and run more efficiently.

francois
Contributor
Contributor

Post#6 by francois » 13 Jul 2011, 21:24

Wifi works great on ath9k. No bluetooth on the T101MT so I will have to wait for my usb adapter to show to test that. If anyone is interested I can post the results of the psinfo script.
I am sure that people on the forum would be interested in your psinfo. Depending on the system that you use you could ask for a module or some help to build a module for bluetooth functionality or other features on xzm modules request, respectively 32 and 64-bit:
http://forum.porteus.org/viewforum.php?f=73
http://forum.porteus.org/viewforum.php?f=74

rovitotv
White ninja
White ninja

Post#7 by rovitotv » 29 Nov 2011, 04:22

I have an HP 8440P and everything with Porteus 1.0 64 bit works great!!!! The wireless is working. External monitor support for my 24" LCD is working. I really have no complaints.

wread
Module Guard
Module Guard
Distribution: Porteus v5.0-kde-64 bits

Post#8 by wread » 30 Nov 2011, 16:41

@all
Maybe we could prepare a big matrix; the first column with Make and Model, in the first row the performance of different characteristics. This table should be filled by us, mirroring our experiences with porteus. This could be then published in porteus.org.

It would be interesting to parse the reactions of the different vendors... 8)

What do you think, guys?

Regards

P.S. Who is so fluent in php and mysql that could prepare so a table? (I think those are the required skills for it).
Porteus is proud of the FASTEST KDE ever made.....(take akonadi, nepomuk and soprano out and you will have a decent OS).
The Porteus Community never sleeps!

Hamza
Warlord
Warlord
Distribution: Porteus

Post#9 by Hamza » 30 Nov 2011, 18:03

I could code a small manager to make a "real time" table about the result.
What features you need for this?
NjVFQzY2Rg==

wread
Module Guard
Module Guard
Distribution: Porteus v5.0-kde-64 bits

Post#10 by wread » 30 Nov 2011, 23:08

Ok, let's start the list, I already found 10 features that could be examined; notes could be from 0 (bad), to 5 (excellent) or any other scale of subjective values that the porteus community would propose.
THESE ARE THE COLUMNS
-keypad,
-wireless,
-external monitor (data show)
-bluetooth,
-audio card,
-video card,
-touch screen,
-track pad,
-brightness,
-audio volume,
-audio quality,

Please complete this list!
Porteus is proud of the FASTEST KDE ever made.....(take akonadi, nepomuk and soprano out and you will have a decent OS).
The Porteus Community never sleeps!

Hamza
Warlord
Warlord

Post#11 by Hamza » 01 Dec 2011, 17:55

I don't understand..The user will make a note on every column of the table ?

We need to have the Admin's Permission to host this on porteus.org.
NjVFQzY2Rg==

Bicephale
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge
Distribution: Live CDs

Post#12 by Bicephale » 03 Dec 2011, 04:43

Nothing prevents the users to post their contributions here, for one single person to compile elsewhere...

Hamza
Warlord
Warlord

Post#13 by Hamza » 03 Dec 2011, 12:10

It's OK, but We need to find out someone who is able to fill in the table.
NjVFQzY2Rg==

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Post#14 by fanthom » 04 Dec 2011, 08:12

i have nothing against this idea but please remember that someone will have to update the table every 6 month for each porteus release (new kernel = new/better drivers). Same applies for people who submitted their results.
We dont want to finish with a table which was relevant to Porteus-1.0 in time when 3.1 is released.

Cheers
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

Hamza
Warlord
Warlord

Post#15 by Hamza » 04 Dec 2011, 11:29

The table manager is ready to use. I written it from scratch and only "Administrator" and "Moderator" can manage (add/edit/remove) something on it. The results are available for anonymous access. Any login are required for view the results.
I suggest to use it for publish official tests on some computers like a catalog of "tested and confirmed" computers which Porteus is working fine.
NjVFQzY2Rg==