Porteus 5 No Sound

Here you can post about your various experiences with PC hardware. You can also post about hardware that is not compatible with the linux kernel or not recommended for use with Porteus.
vray
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: Porteus 5

Porteus 5 No Sound

Post#1 by vray » 17 Jan 2023, 12:59

Hello,

I used Porteus 4 LXDE and the audio works without any problem on my laptop (Asus K40IJ). Recently, I tried Porteus 5 LXDE with the latest updates from one of the mirrors (Dec 2022 updates I believe) but there was no sound. I've checked alsamixer and pavucontrol, the default sound card was correct, no muted devices, and no error notifications either on the system or the players (Audacious and mpv media player). The song played normally and curiously the audio mixer indicated that there was an activity on the audacious audio stream (under the Playback tab) but still there was no sound. I've tried pulseaudio -k and pulseaudio --start to no avail.

Today I made some discovery that if I suspend the laptop, I'm able to get the sound working after I wake it up from sleep. However, saving the session to a module is not solving the problem as I experience the same issue upon restart. I tried to learn more about this but apparently most people don't get any sound after suspend while in my case it's the reverse and regardless this problem is way beyond my knowledge. So any help would be appreciated.

Btw I've tried the sof-firmware-2.2.4-x86_64-1bl.xzm provided by Blaze on the other thread and the sound is still not working.

beny
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge

Porteus 5 No Sound

Post#2 by beny » 17 Jan 2023, 16:09

hi, you have the volume icon on the tray? right click on and see the properties and check if you have the line out as first output on devices also in pavucontrol i don't have lxde but the qt version so i think is the same

Blaze
DEV Team
DEV Team
Distribution: ⟰ Porteus current ☯ all DEs ☯

Porteus 5 No Sound

Post#3 by Blaze » 17 Jan 2023, 17:44

Hi vray.
Try to update kernel Porteus Kernel Builder (Пост Blaze #92523)
Linux 6.6.11-porteus #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Sun Jan 14 12:07:37 MSK 2024 x86_64 Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1270 v6 @ 3.80GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
MS-7A12 » [AMD/ATI] Navi 23 [Radeon RX 6600] [1002:73ff] (rev c7) » Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 K2 3200MHz C16

vray
White ninja
White ninja

Porteus 5 No Sound

Post#4 by vray » 18 Jan 2023, 05:57

beny wrote:
17 Jan 2023, 16:09
hi, you have the volume icon on the tray? right click on and see the properties and check if you have the line out as first output on devices also in pavucontrol i don't have lxde but the qt version so i think is the same
Hi beny,
Yes I have the volume icon but under the output devices tab there are only speakers and headphones. It switches depending on whether the 3.5mm audio jack is plugged.
Blaze wrote:
17 Jan 2023, 17:44
Hi vray.
Try to update kernel Porteus Kernel Builder (Пост Blaze #92523)
Hi Blaze,
Pardon me, could you explain how to update the kernel? I tried a crude way by replacing the 000-kernel.xzm on the base folder with the one from that link, the system boots successfully but still there is no sound. Also, the output device changes to dummy output.

---

Btw sorry I said there isn't any error but apparently there are some on pulseaudio.
Here is the output from pulseaudio -v

I: [pulseaudio] main.c: setrlimit(RLIMIT_NICE, (31, 31)) failed: Operation not permitted
I: [pulseaudio] main.c: setrlimit(RLIMIT_RTPRIO, (9, 9)) failed: Operation not permitted
I: [pulseaudio] core-util.c: Failed to acquire high-priority scheduling: No such file or directory
I: [pulseaudio] main.c: This is PulseAudio 15.0
I: [pulseaudio] main.c: Page size is 4096 bytes
I: [pulseaudio] main.c: Machine ID is 0e0a79262c7fe7cd27b2569663c69421.
I: [pulseaudio] main.c: Session ID is c1.
I: [pulseaudio] main.c: Using runtime directory /run/user/1000/pulse.
I: [pulseaudio] main.c: Using state directory /home/guest/.config/pulse.
I: [pulseaudio] main.c: Using modules directory /usr/lib64/pulse-15.0/modules.
I: [pulseaudio] main.c: Running in system mode: no
E: [pulseaudio] pid.c: Daemon already running.
E: [pulseaudio] main.c: pa_pid_file_create() failed.

beny
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge

Porteus 5 No Sound

Post#5 by beny » 18 Jan 2023, 11:39

hi vray the output of pulseaudio -v with guest account, you have to use the sudo option, when you start all the rc.d script and also when you activate or put in modules, the superuser account is needed. also the hardware that you use is useful to know.

vray
White ninja
White ninja

Porteus 5 No Sound

Post#6 by vray » 18 Jan 2023, 12:53

beny wrote:
18 Jan 2023, 11:39
hi vray the output of pulseaudio -v with guest account, you have to use the sudo option, when you start all the rc.d script and also when you activate or put in modules, the superuser account is needed. also the hardware that you use is useful to know.
Thanks for the input, beny. Below is the output from sudo pulseaudio -v

Code: Select all

I: [pulseaudio] core-util.c: Successfully gained nice level -11.
I: [pulseaudio] main.c: This is PulseAudio 15.0
I: [pulseaudio] main.c: Page size is 4096 bytes
I: [pulseaudio] main.c: Machine ID is 4b8ae45f600f7ad11d7abc6963c7e815.
I: [pulseaudio] main.c: Using runtime directory /root/.config/pulse/4b8ae45f600f7ad11d7abc6963c7e815-runtime.
I: [pulseaudio] main.c: Using state directory /root/.config/pulse.
I: [pulseaudio] main.c: Using modules directory /usr/lib64/pulse-15.0/modules.
I: [pulseaudio] main.c: Running in system mode: no
I: [pulseaudio] main.c: System supports high resolution timers
I: [pulseaudio] cpu-x86.c: CPU flags: CMOV MMX SSE SSE2 SSE3 SSSE3 SSE4_1 
I: [pulseaudio] svolume_mmx.c: Initialising MMX optimized volume functions.
I: [pulseaudio] remap_mmx.c: Initialising MMX optimized remappers.
I: [pulseaudio] svolume_sse.c: Initialising SSE2 optimized volume functions.
I: [pulseaudio] remap_sse.c: Initialising SSE2 optimized remappers.
I: [pulseaudio] sconv_sse.c: Initialising SSE2 optimized conversions.
I: [pulseaudio] svolume_orc.c: Initialising ORC optimized volume functions.
I: [pulseaudio] database.c: Successfully opened 'device-volumes' database file '/root/.config/pulse/4b8ae45f600f7ad11d7abc6963c7e815-device-volumes.tdb'.
I: [pulseaudio] module.c: Loaded "module-device-restore" (index: #0; argument: "").
I: [pulseaudio] database.c: Successfully opened 'stream-volumes' database file '/root/.config/pulse/4b8ae45f600f7ad11d7abc6963c7e815-stream-volumes.tdb'.
I: [pulseaudio] module.c: Loaded "module-stream-restore" (index: #1; argument: "").
I: [pulseaudio] database.c: Successfully opened 'card-database' database file '/root/.config/pulse/4b8ae45f600f7ad11d7abc6963c7e815-card-database.tdb'.
I: [pulseaudio] module.c: Loaded "module-card-restore" (index: #2; argument: "").
I: [pulseaudio] module.c: Loaded "module-augment-properties" (index: #3; argument: "").
I: [pulseaudio] module.c: Loaded "module-switch-on-port-available" (index: #4; argument: "").
I: [pulseaudio] (alsa-lib)parser.c: UCM is not supported for this HDA model (HDA Intel at 0xfe9f4000 irq 28)
I: [pulseaudio] (alsa-lib)main.c: error: failed to import hw:0 use case configuration -6
I: [pulseaudio] (alsa-lib)parser.c: UCM is not supported for this HDA model (HDA Intel at 0xfe9f4000 irq 28)
I: [pulseaudio] (alsa-lib)main.c: error: failed to import HDA Intel use case configuration -6
I: [pulseaudio] alsa-ucm.c: UCM not available for card HDA Intel
I: [pulseaudio] alsa-mixer.c: Loading path config: /usr/share//pulseaudio/alsa-mixer/paths/analog-input-front-mic.conf
I: [pulseaudio] alsa-mixer.c: Loading path config: /usr/share//pulseaudio/alsa-mixer/paths/analog-input-rear-mic.conf
I: [pulseaudio] alsa-mixer.c: Loading path config: /usr/share//pulseaudio/alsa-mixer/paths/analog-input-internal-mic.conf
I: [pulseaudio] alsa-mixer.c: Loading path config: /usr/share//pulseaudio/alsa-mixer/paths/analog-input-dock-mic.conf
I: [pulseaudio] alsa-mixer.c: Loading path config: /usr/share//pulseaudio/alsa-mixer/paths/analog-input.conf
I: [pulseaudio] alsa-mixer.c: Loading path config: /usr/share//pulseaudio/alsa-mixer/paths/analog-input-mic.conf
I: [pulseaudio] alsa-mixer.c: Loading path config: /usr/share//pulseaudio/alsa-mixer/paths/analog-input-linein.conf
I: [pulseaudio] alsa-mixer.c: Loading path config: /usr/share//pulseaudio/alsa-mixer/paths/analog-input-aux.conf
I: [pulseaudio] alsa-mixer.c: Loading path config: /usr/share//pulseaudio/alsa-mixer/paths/analog-input-video.conf
I: [pulseaudio] alsa-mixer.c: Loading path config: /usr/share//pulseaudio/alsa-mixer/paths/analog-input-tvtuner.conf
I: [pulseaudio] alsa-mixer.c: Loading path config: /usr/share//pulseaudio/alsa-mixer/paths/analog-input-fm.conf
I: [pulseaudio] alsa-mixer.c: Loading path config: /usr/share//pulseaudio/alsa-mixer/paths/analog-input-mic-line.conf
I: [pulseaudio] alsa-mixer.c: Loading path config: /usr/share//pulseaudio/alsa-mixer/paths/analog-input-headphone-mic.conf
I: [pulseaudio] alsa-mixer.c: Loading path config: /usr/share//pulseaudio/alsa-mixer/paths/analog-input-headset-mic.conf
I: [pulseaudio] alsa-util.c: Successfully attached to mixer 'hw:0'
I: [pulseaudio] (alsa-lib)pcm_hw.c: open '/dev/snd/pcmC0D1c' failed (-2)
I: [pulseaudio] alsa-util.c: Error opening PCM device iec958:0: No such file or directory
I: [pulseaudio] alsa-mixer.c: Loading path config: /usr/share//pulseaudio/alsa-mixer/paths/analog-output.conf
I: [pulseaudio] alsa-mixer.c: Loading path config: /usr/share//pulseaudio/alsa-mixer/paths/analog-output-lineout.conf
I: [pulseaudio] alsa-mixer.c: Loading path config: /usr/share//pulseaudio/alsa-mixer/paths/analog-output-speaker.conf
I: [pulseaudio] alsa-mixer.c: Loading path config: /usr/share//pulseaudio/alsa-mixer/paths/analog-output-headphones.conf
I: [pulseaudio] alsa-mixer.c: Loading path config: /usr/share//pulseaudio/alsa-mixer/paths/analog-output-headphones-2.conf
I: [pulseaudio] (alsa-lib)pcm_route.c: Found no matching channel map
I: [pulseaudio] alsa-util.c: Error opening PCM device surround21:0: Invalid argument
I: [pulseaudio] alsa-util.c: Failed to set hardware parameters on plug:SLAVE='surround40:0': Invalid argument
I: [pulseaudio] alsa-util.c: Error opening PCM device surround41:0: Invalid argument
I: [pulseaudio] alsa-util.c: Error opening PCM device surround50:0: Invalid argument
I: [pulseaudio] alsa-util.c: Failed to set hardware parameters on plug:SLAVE='surround51:0': Invalid argument
I: [pulseaudio] alsa-util.c: Failed to set hardware parameters on plug:SLAVE='surround71:0': Invalid argument
I: [pulseaudio] (alsa-lib)pcm_hw.c: open '/dev/snd/pcmC0D1p' failed (-2)
I: [pulseaudio] alsa-util.c: Error opening PCM device iec958:0: No such file or directory
I: [pulseaudio] (alsa-lib)dlmisc.c: Cannot open shared library libasound_module_pcm_a52.so (libavresample.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)
I: [pulseaudio] alsa-util.c: Error opening PCM device a52:0: No such device or address
I: [pulseaudio] (alsa-lib)dlmisc.c: Cannot open shared library libasound_module_pcm_a52.so (libavresample.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)
I: [pulseaudio] alsa-util.c: Error opening PCM device a52:0: No such device or address
I: [pulseaudio] (alsa-lib)pcm.c: Unknown PCM dca:0
I: [pulseaudio] alsa-util.c: Error opening PCM device dca:0: No such file or directory
I: [pulseaudio] (alsa-lib)pcm_hw.c: open '/dev/snd/pcmC0D3p' failed (-2)
I: [pulseaudio] alsa-util.c: Error opening PCM device hdmi:0: No such file or directory
I: [pulseaudio] alsa-util.c: Error opening PCM device hdmi:0: No such file or directory
I: [pulseaudio] (alsa-lib)pcm.c: Unknown PCM dcahdmi:0
I: [pulseaudio] alsa-util.c: Error opening PCM device dcahdmi:0: No such file or directory
I: [pulseaudio] (alsa-lib)pcm_hw.c: open '/dev/snd/pcmC0D7p' failed (-2)
I: [pulseaudio] alsa-util.c: Error opening PCM device hdmi:0,1: No such file or directory
I: [pulseaudio] alsa-util.c: Error opening PCM device hdmi:0,1: No such file or directory
I: [pulseaudio] (alsa-lib)pcm.c: Unknown PCM dcahdmi:0,1
I: [pulseaudio] alsa-util.c: Error opening PCM device dcahdmi:0,1: No such file or directory
I: [pulseaudio] (alsa-lib)pcm_hw.c: open '/dev/snd/pcmC0D8p' failed (-2)
I: [pulseaudio] alsa-util.c: Error opening PCM device hdmi:0,2: No such file or directory
I: [pulseaudio] alsa-util.c: Error opening PCM device hdmi:0,2: No such file or directory
I: [pulseaudio] (alsa-lib)pcm.c: Unknown PCM dcahdmi:0,2
I: [pulseaudio] alsa-util.c: Error opening PCM device dcahdmi:0,2: No such file or directory
I: [pulseaudio] (alsa-lib)pcm_hw.c: open '/dev/snd/pcmC0D9p' failed (-2)
I: [pulseaudio] alsa-util.c: Error opening PCM device hdmi:0,3: No such file or directory
I: [pulseaudio] alsa-util.c: Error opening PCM device hdmi:0,3: No such file or directory
I: [pulseaudio] (alsa-lib)pcm.c: Unknown PCM dcahdmi:0,3
I: [pulseaudio] alsa-util.c: Error opening PCM device dcahdmi:0,3: No such file or directory
I: [pulseaudio] (alsa-lib)pcm_hw.c: open '/dev/snd/pcmC0D10p' failed (-2)
I: [pulseaudio] alsa-util.c: Error opening PCM device hdmi:0,4: No such file or directory
I: [pulseaudio] alsa-util.c: Error opening PCM device hdmi:0,4: No such file or directory
I: [pulseaudio] (alsa-lib)pcm.c: Unknown PCM dcahdmi:0,4
I: [pulseaudio] alsa-util.c: Error opening PCM device dcahdmi:0,4: No such file or directory
I: [pulseaudio] (alsa-lib)pcm_hw.c: open '/dev/snd/pcmC0D11p' failed (-2)
I: [pulseaudio] alsa-util.c: Error opening PCM device hdmi:0,5: No such file or directory
I: [pulseaudio] alsa-util.c: Error opening PCM device hdmi:0,5: No such file or directory
I: [pulseaudio] (alsa-lib)pcm.c: Unknown PCM dcahdmi:0,5
I: [pulseaudio] alsa-util.c: Error opening PCM device dcahdmi:0,5: No such file or directory
I: [pulseaudio] (alsa-lib)pcm_hw.c: open '/dev/snd/pcmC0D12p' failed (-2)
I: [pulseaudio] alsa-util.c: Error opening PCM device hdmi:0,6: No such file or directory
I: [pulseaudio] alsa-util.c: Error opening PCM device hdmi:0,6: No such file or directory
I: [pulseaudio] (alsa-lib)pcm.c: Unknown PCM dcahdmi:0,6
I: [pulseaudio] alsa-util.c: Error opening PCM device dcahdmi:0,6: No such file or directory
I: [pulseaudio] (alsa-lib)pcm_hw.c: open '/dev/snd/pcmC0D13p' failed (-2)
I: [pulseaudio] alsa-util.c: Error opening PCM device hdmi:0,7: No such file or directory
I: [pulseaudio] alsa-util.c: Error opening PCM device hdmi:0,7: No such file or directory
I: [pulseaudio] (alsa-lib)pcm.c: Unknown PCM dcahdmi:0,7
I: [pulseaudio] alsa-util.c: Error opening PCM device dcahdmi:0,7: No such file or directory
I: [pulseaudio] (alsa-lib)pcm_hw.c: open '/dev/snd/pcmC0D14p' failed (-2)
I: [pulseaudio] alsa-util.c: Error opening PCM device hdmi:0,8: No such file or directory
I: [pulseaudio] alsa-util.c: Error opening PCM device hdmi:0,8: No such file or directory
I: [pulseaudio] (alsa-lib)pcm.c: Unknown PCM dcahdmi:0,8
I: [pulseaudio] alsa-util.c: Error opening PCM device dcahdmi:0,8: No such file or directory
I: [pulseaudio] (alsa-lib)pcm_hw.c: open '/dev/snd/pcmC0D15p' failed (-2)
I: [pulseaudio] alsa-util.c: Error opening PCM device hdmi:0,9: No such file or directory
I: [pulseaudio] alsa-util.c: Error opening PCM device hdmi:0,9: No such file or directory
I: [pulseaudio] (alsa-lib)pcm.c: Unknown PCM dcahdmi:0,9
I: [pulseaudio] alsa-util.c: Error opening PCM device dcahdmi:0,9: No such file or directory
I: [pulseaudio] (alsa-lib)pcm_hw.c: open '/dev/snd/pcmC0D16p' failed (-2)
I: [pulseaudio] alsa-util.c: Error opening PCM device hdmi:0,10: No such file or directory
I: [pulseaudio] alsa-util.c: Error opening PCM device hdmi:0,10: No such file or directory
I: [pulseaudio] (alsa-lib)pcm.c: Unknown PCM dcahdmi:0,10
I: [pulseaudio] alsa-util.c: Error opening PCM device dcahdmi:0,10: No such file or directory
I: [pulseaudio] card.c: alsa_card.pci-0000_00_1b.0: active_profile: output:analog-stereo+input:analog-stereo
I: [pulseaudio] card.c: Created 0 "alsa_card.pci-0000_00_1b.0"
I: [pulseaudio] module-card-restore.c: Storing port latency offsets for card alsa_card.pci-0000_00_1b.0.
I: [pulseaudio] alsa-sink.c: Successfully opened device front:0.
I: [pulseaudio] alsa-sink.c: Selected mapping 'Analog Stereo' (analog-stereo).
I: [pulseaudio] alsa-sink.c: Successfully enabled mmap() mode.
I: [pulseaudio] sink.c: Created sink 0 "alsa_output.pci-0000_00_1b.0.analog-stereo" with sample spec s16le 2ch 44100Hz and channel map front-left,front-right
I: [pulseaudio] sink.c:     alsa.resolution_bits = "16"
I: [pulseaudio] sink.c:     device.api = "alsa"
I: [pulseaudio] sink.c:     device.class = "sound"
I: [pulseaudio] sink.c:     alsa.class = "generic"
I: [pulseaudio] sink.c:     alsa.subclass = "generic-mix"
I: [pulseaudio] sink.c:     alsa.name = "VT1708S Analog"
I: [pulseaudio] sink.c:     alsa.id = "VT1708S Analog"
I: [pulseaudio] sink.c:     alsa.subdevice = "0"
I: [pulseaudio] sink.c:     alsa.subdevice_name = "subdevice #0"
I: [pulseaudio] sink.c:     alsa.device = "0"
I: [pulseaudio] sink.c:     alsa.card = "0"
I: [pulseaudio] sink.c:     alsa.card_name = "HDA Intel"
I: [pulseaudio] sink.c:     alsa.long_card_name = "HDA Intel at 0xfe9f4000 irq 28"
I: [pulseaudio] sink.c:     alsa.driver_name = "snd_hda_intel"
I: [pulseaudio] sink.c:     device.bus_path = "pci-0000:00:1b.0"
I: [pulseaudio] sink.c:     sysfs.path = "/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1b.0/sound/card0"
I: [pulseaudio] sink.c:     device.bus = "pci"
I: [pulseaudio] sink.c:     device.vendor.id = "8086"
I: [pulseaudio] sink.c:     device.product.id = "293e"
I: [pulseaudio] sink.c:     device.form_factor = "internal"
I: [pulseaudio] sink.c:     device.string = "front:0"
I: [pulseaudio] sink.c:     device.buffering.buffer_size = "3520"
I: [pulseaudio] sink.c:     device.buffering.fragment_size = "880"
I: [pulseaudio] sink.c:     device.access_mode = "mmap"
I: [pulseaudio] sink.c:     device.profile.name = "analog-stereo"
I: [pulseaudio] sink.c:     device.profile.description = "Analog Stereo"
I: [pulseaudio] sink.c:     device.description = "Built-in Audio Analog Stereo"
I: [pulseaudio] sink.c:     module-udev-detect.discovered = "1"
I: [pulseaudio] sink.c:     device.icon_name = "audio-card-pci"
I: [pulseaudio] source.c: Created source 0 "alsa_output.pci-0000_00_1b.0.analog-stereo.monitor" with sample spec s16le 2ch 44100Hz and channel map front-left,front-right
I: [pulseaudio] source.c:     device.description = "Monitor of Built-in Audio Analog Stereo"
I: [pulseaudio] source.c:     device.class = "monitor"
I: [pulseaudio] source.c:     alsa.card = "0"
I: [pulseaudio] source.c:     alsa.card_name = "HDA Intel"
I: [pulseaudio] source.c:     alsa.long_card_name = "HDA Intel at 0xfe9f4000 irq 28"
I: [pulseaudio] source.c:     alsa.driver_name = "snd_hda_intel"
I: [pulseaudio] source.c:     device.bus_path = "pci-0000:00:1b.0"
I: [pulseaudio] source.c:     sysfs.path = "/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1b.0/sound/card0"
I: [pulseaudio] source.c:     device.bus = "pci"
I: [pulseaudio] source.c:     device.vendor.id = "8086"
I: [pulseaudio] source.c:     device.product.id = "293e"
I: [pulseaudio] source.c:     device.form_factor = "internal"
I: [pulseaudio] source.c:     device.string = "0"
I: [pulseaudio] source.c:     module-udev-detect.discovered = "1"
I: [pulseaudio] source.c:     device.icon_name = "audio-card-pci"
I: [pulseaudio] alsa-sink.c: Using 4.0 fragments of size 880 bytes (4.99ms), buffer size is 3520 bytes (19.95ms)
I: [pulseaudio] alsa-sink.c: Successfully enabled deferred volume.
I: [pulseaudio] alsa-sink.c: Hardware volume ranges from -200050.98 dB to 0.00 dB.
I: [pulseaudio] alsa-sink.c: Fixing base volume to 0.00 dB
I: [pulseaudio] alsa-sink.c: Using hardware volume control. Hardware dB scale supported.
I: [pulseaudio] alsa-sink.c: Using hardware mute control.
I: [alsa-sink-VT1708S Analog] util.c: Successfully enabled SCHED_RR scheduling for thread, with priority 5.
I: [alsa-sink-VT1708S Analog] alsa-sink.c: Starting playback.
I: [pulseaudio] core.c: default_source: (unset) -> alsa_output.pci-0000_00_1b.0.analog-stereo.monitor
I: [pulseaudio] core.c: default_sink: (unset) -> alsa_output.pci-0000_00_1b.0.analog-stereo
I: [pulseaudio] alsa-source.c: Successfully opened device front:0.
I: [pulseaudio] alsa-source.c: Selected mapping 'Analog Stereo' (analog-stereo).
I: [pulseaudio] alsa-source.c: Successfully enabled mmap() mode.
I: [pulseaudio] source.c: Created source 1 "alsa_input.pci-0000_00_1b.0.analog-stereo" with sample spec s16le 2ch 44100Hz and channel map front-left,front-right
I: [pulseaudio] source.c:     alsa.resolution_bits = "16"
I: [pulseaudio] source.c:     device.api = "alsa"
I: [pulseaudio] source.c:     device.class = "sound"
I: [pulseaudio] source.c:     alsa.class = "generic"
I: [pulseaudio] source.c:     alsa.subclass = "generic-mix"
I: [pulseaudio] source.c:     alsa.name = "VT1708S Analog"
I: [pulseaudio] source.c:     alsa.id = "VT1708S Analog"
I: [pulseaudio] source.c:     alsa.subdevice = "0"
I: [pulseaudio] source.c:     alsa.subdevice_name = "subdevice #0"
I: [pulseaudio] source.c:     alsa.device = "0"
I: [pulseaudio] source.c:     alsa.card = "0"
I: [pulseaudio] source.c:     alsa.card_name = "HDA Intel"
I: [pulseaudio] source.c:     alsa.long_card_name = "HDA Intel at 0xfe9f4000 irq 28"
I: [pulseaudio] source.c:     alsa.driver_name = "snd_hda_intel"
I: [pulseaudio] source.c:     device.bus_path = "pci-0000:00:1b.0"
I: [pulseaudio] source.c:     sysfs.path = "/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1b.0/sound/card0"
I: [pulseaudio] source.c:     device.bus = "pci"
I: [pulseaudio] source.c:     device.vendor.id = "8086"
I: [pulseaudio] source.c:     device.product.id = "293e"
I: [pulseaudio] source.c:     device.form_factor = "internal"
I: [pulseaudio] source.c:     device.string = "front:0"
I: [pulseaudio] source.c:     device.buffering.buffer_size = "3520"
I: [pulseaudio] source.c:     device.buffering.fragment_size = "880"
I: [pulseaudio] source.c:     device.access_mode = "mmap"
I: [pulseaudio] source.c:     device.profile.name = "analog-stereo"
I: [pulseaudio] source.c:     device.profile.description = "Analog Stereo"
I: [pulseaudio] source.c:     device.description = "Built-in Audio Analog Stereo"
I: [pulseaudio] source.c:     module-udev-detect.discovered = "1"
I: [pulseaudio] source.c:     device.icon_name = "audio-card-pci"
I: [pulseaudio] alsa-source.c: Using 4.0 fragments of size 880 bytes (4.99ms), buffer size is 3520 bytes (19.95ms)
I: [pulseaudio] alsa-source.c: Successfully enabled deferred volume.
I: [pulseaudio] alsa-source.c: Hardware volume ranges from -16.50 dB to 60.75 dB.
I: [pulseaudio] alsa-source.c: Fixing base volume to -60.75 dB
I: [pulseaudio] alsa-source.c: Using hardware volume control. Hardware dB scale supported.
I: [pulseaudio] alsa-source.c: Using hardware mute control.
I: [alsa-source-VT1708S Analog] util.c: Successfully enabled SCHED_RR scheduling for thread, with priority 5.
I: [alsa-source-VT1708S Analog] alsa-source.c: Starting capture.
I: [pulseaudio] core.c: default_source: alsa_output.pci-0000_00_1b.0.analog-stereo.monitor -> alsa_input.pci-0000_00_1b.0.analog-stereo
I: [pulseaudio] module.c: Loaded "module-alsa-card" (index: #6; argument: "device_id="0" name="pci-0000_00_1b.0" card_name="alsa_card.pci-0000_00_1b.0" namereg_fail=false tsched=no fixed_latency_range=no ignore_dB=no deferred_volume=yes use_ucm=yes avoid_resampling=no card_properties="module-udev-detect.discovered=1"").
I: [pulseaudio] module-udev-detect.c: Card /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1b.0/sound/card0 (alsa_card.pci-0000_00_1b.0) module loaded.
I: [pulseaudio] module-udev-detect.c: Found 1 cards.
I: [pulseaudio] module.c: Loaded "module-udev-detect" (index: #5; argument: "tsched=0").
I: [pulseaudio] module.c: Loaded "module-bluetooth-policy" (index: #7; argument: "").
E: [pulseaudio] ltdl-bind-now.c: Failed to open module /usr/lib64/pulse-15.0/modules/module-bluez5-discover.so: libgstreamer-1.0.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
E: [pulseaudio] module.c: Failed to open module "module-bluez5-discover".
E: [pulseaudio] module.c: Failed to load module "module-bluetooth-discover" (argument: ""): initialization failed.
W: [pulseaudio] authkey.c: Failed to open cookie file '/root/.config/pulse/cookie': No such file or directory
W: [pulseaudio] authkey.c: Failed to load authentication key '/root/.config/pulse/cookie': No such file or directory
W: [pulseaudio] authkey.c: Failed to open cookie file '/root/.pulse-cookie': No such file or directory
W: [pulseaudio] authkey.c: Failed to load authentication key '/root/.pulse-cookie': No such file or directory
I: [pulseaudio] module.c: Loaded "module-native-protocol-unix" (index: #9; argument: "").
I: [pulseaudio] module.c: Loaded "module-default-device-restore" (index: #10; argument: "").
E: [pulseaudio] module-rescue-streams.c: module-rescue-stream is obsolete and should no longer be loaded. Please remove it from your configuration.
I: [pulseaudio] module.c: Loaded "module-rescue-streams" (index: #11; argument: "").
I: [pulseaudio] module.c: Loaded "module-always-sink" (index: #12; argument: "").
I: [pulseaudio] module.c: Loaded "module-intended-roles" (index: #13; argument: "").
I: [pulseaudio] module.c: Loaded "module-suspend-on-idle" (index: #14; argument: "").
I: [pulseaudio] module.c: Loaded "module-console-kit" (index: #15; argument: "").
I: [pulseaudio] module.c: Loaded "module-systemd-login" (index: #16; argument: "").
I: [pulseaudio] module.c: Loaded "module-position-event-sounds" (index: #17; argument: "").
I: [pulseaudio] module.c: Loaded "module-role-cork" (index: #18; argument: "").
I: [pulseaudio] module.c: Loaded "module-filter-heuristics" (index: #19; argument: "").
I: [pulseaudio] module.c: Loaded "module-filter-apply" (index: #20; argument: "").
I: [pulseaudio] main.c: Daemon startup complete.
I: [pulseaudio] module.c: Unloading "module-rescue-streams" (index: #11).
I: [pulseaudio] module.c: Unloaded "module-rescue-streams" (index: #11).
I: [pulseaudio] module-device-restore.c: Storing port for device sink:alsa_output.pci-0000_00_1b.0.analog-stereo.
I: [pulseaudio] module-device-restore.c: Storing volume/mute for device+port sink:alsa_output.pci-0000_00_1b.0.analog-stereo:analog-output-headphones.
I: [pulseaudio] module-device-restore.c: Storing port for device source:alsa_output.pci-0000_00_1b.0.analog-stereo.monitor.
I: [pulseaudio] module-device-restore.c: Storing volume/mute for device+port source:alsa_output.pci-0000_00_1b.0.analog-stereo.monitor:null.
I: [pulseaudio] module-device-restore.c: Storing port for device source:alsa_input.pci-0000_00_1b.0.analog-stereo.
I: [pulseaudio] module-device-restore.c: Storing volume/mute for device+port source:alsa_input.pci-0000_00_1b.0.analog-stereo:analog-input-internal-mic.
I: [pulseaudio] module-suspend-on-idle.c: Source alsa_input.pci-0000_00_1b.0.analog-stereo idle for too long, suspending ...
I: [alsa-source-VT1708S Analog] alsa-source.c: Device suspended...
I: [pulseaudio] module-suspend-on-idle.c: Sink alsa_output.pci-0000_00_1b.0.analog-stereo idle for too long, suspending ...
I: [alsa-sink-VT1708S Analog] alsa-sink.c: Device suspended...
I: [pulseaudio] module-card-restore.c: Synced.
I: [pulseaudio] module-device-restore.c: Synced.
I: [pulseaudio] core.c: We are idle, quitting...
I: [pulseaudio] main.c: Daemon shutdown initiated.
I: [pulseaudio] module.c: Unloading "module-filter-apply" (index: #20).
I: [pulseaudio] module.c: Unloaded "module-filter-apply" (index: #20).
I: [pulseaudio] module.c: Unloading "module-filter-heuristics" (index: #19).
I: [pulseaudio] module.c: Unloaded "module-filter-heuristics" (index: #19).
I: [pulseaudio] module.c: Unloading "module-role-cork" (index: #18).
I: [pulseaudio] module.c: Unloaded "module-role-cork" (index: #18).
I: [pulseaudio] module.c: Unloading "module-position-event-sounds" (index: #17).
I: [pulseaudio] module.c: Unloaded "module-position-event-sounds" (index: #17).
I: [pulseaudio] module.c: Unloading "module-systemd-login" (index: #16).
I: [pulseaudio] module.c: Unloaded "module-systemd-login" (index: #16).
I: [pulseaudio] module.c: Unloading "module-console-kit" (index: #15).
I: [pulseaudio] module.c: Unloaded "module-console-kit" (index: #15).
I: [pulseaudio] module.c: Unloading "module-suspend-on-idle" (index: #14).
I: [alsa-sink-VT1708S Analog] alsa-sink.c: Trying resume...
I: [alsa-sink-VT1708S Analog] alsa-sink.c: Resumed successfully...
I: [alsa-sink-VT1708S Analog] alsa-sink.c: Starting playback.
I: [alsa-source-VT1708S Analog] alsa-source.c: Trying resume...
I: [alsa-source-VT1708S Analog] alsa-source.c: Resumed successfully...
I: [alsa-source-VT1708S Analog] alsa-source.c: Starting capture.
I: [pulseaudio] module.c: Unloaded "module-suspend-on-idle" (index: #14).
I: [pulseaudio] module.c: Unloading "module-intended-roles" (index: #13).
I: [pulseaudio] module.c: Unloaded "module-intended-roles" (index: #13).
I: [pulseaudio] module.c: Unloading "module-always-sink" (index: #12).
I: [pulseaudio] module.c: Unloaded "module-always-sink" (index: #12).
I: [pulseaudio] module.c: Unloading "module-default-device-restore" (index: #10).
I: [pulseaudio] module.c: Unloaded "module-default-device-restore" (index: #10).
I: [pulseaudio] module.c: Unloading "module-native-protocol-unix" (index: #9).
I: [pulseaudio] module.c: Unloaded "module-native-protocol-unix" (index: #9).
I: [pulseaudio] module.c: Unloading "module-bluetooth-policy" (index: #7).
I: [pulseaudio] module.c: Unloaded "module-bluetooth-policy" (index: #7).
I: [pulseaudio] module.c: Unloading "module-alsa-card" (index: #6).
I: [pulseaudio] core.c: default_sink: alsa_output.pci-0000_00_1b.0.analog-stereo -> (unset)
I: [pulseaudio] sink.c: Freeing sink 0 "alsa_output.pci-0000_00_1b.0.analog-stereo"
I: [pulseaudio] source.c: Freeing source 0 "alsa_output.pci-0000_00_1b.0.analog-stereo.monitor"
I: [pulseaudio] core.c: default_source: alsa_input.pci-0000_00_1b.0.analog-stereo -> (unset)
I: [pulseaudio] source.c: Freeing source 1 "alsa_input.pci-0000_00_1b.0.analog-stereo"
I: [pulseaudio] card.c: Freed 0 "alsa_card.pci-0000_00_1b.0"
I: [pulseaudio] module.c: Unloaded "module-alsa-card" (index: #6).
I: [pulseaudio] module.c: Unloading "module-udev-detect" (index: #5).
I: [pulseaudio] module.c: Unloaded "module-udev-detect" (index: #5).
I: [pulseaudio] module.c: Unloading "module-switch-on-port-available" (index: #4).
I: [pulseaudio] module.c: Unloaded "module-switch-on-port-available" (index: #4).
I: [pulseaudio] module.c: Unloading "module-augment-properties" (index: #3).
I: [pulseaudio] module.c: Unloaded "module-augment-properties" (index: #3).
I: [pulseaudio] module.c: Unloading "module-card-restore" (index: #2).
I: [pulseaudio] module.c: Unloaded "module-card-restore" (index: #2).
I: [pulseaudio] module.c: Unloading "module-stream-restore" (index: #1).
I: [pulseaudio] module.c: Unloaded "module-stream-restore" (index: #1).
I: [pulseaudio] module.c: Unloading "module-device-restore" (index: #0).
I: [pulseaudio] module.c: Unloaded "module-device-restore" (index: #0).
I: [pulseaudio] main.c: Daemon terminated.

The laptop model is Asus K40IJ. The sound card is as follows, retrieved from porteus system information page:

HDA-Intel - HDA Intel

CONTROLLERS:
 Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 03)
0	alsa_card.pci-0000_00_1b.0	module-alsa-card.c
Btw, sorry for the trouble.

beny
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge

Porteus 5 No Sound

Post#7 by beny » 18 Jan 2023, 14:17

hi in terminal lsmod | grep snd tell us if all modules are loaded
and ls /dev/snd tell us the index of audio devices,i think the notebook is supported well also with the past kernel,seem that pulse run well but do not match the hardware,and you have also the bluetooth linked with the audio pci,you can install the gstreamer family is needed by the audio and codec software like media player and other,also in terminal alsamixer can give you answer,ok step by step,and if install the inxi software you can search in slackware 15 repository and after this in terminal inxi -Fza that list all the system data.

Blaze
DEV Team
DEV Team

Porteus 5 No Sound

Post#8 by Blaze » 18 Jan 2023, 16:22

vray,

# All operations should be performed as root user!

# replace 000-kernel.xzm
# remove crippled_sources.xzm
# add 06-crippled_sources-NNN-XXbit.xzm
/path-to/porteus/base

# replace vmlinuz
/path-to/boot/syslinux

# reboot Porteus
Linux 6.6.11-porteus #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Sun Jan 14 12:07:37 MSK 2024 x86_64 Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1270 v6 @ 3.80GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
MS-7A12 » [AMD/ATI] Navi 23 [Radeon RX 6600] [1002:73ff] (rev c7) » Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 K2 3200MHz C16

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Porteus 5 No Sound

Post#9 by Ed_P » 18 Jan 2023, 16:46

vray wrote:
18 Jan 2023, 05:57
the output devices tab there are only speakers and headphones
What other output device are you looking for? :%)
Ed

vray
White ninja
White ninja

Porteus 5 No Sound

Post#10 by vray » 19 Jan 2023, 06:32

beny wrote:
18 Jan 2023, 14:17
hi in terminal lsmod | grep snd tell us if all modules are loaded
and ls /dev/snd tell us the index of audio devices,i think the notebook is supported well also with the past kernel,seem that pulse run well but do not match the hardware,and you have also the bluetooth linked with the audio pci,you can install the gstreamer family is needed by the audio and codec software like media player and other,also in terminal alsamixer can give you answer,ok step by step,and if install the inxi software you can search in slackware 15 repository and after this in terminal inxi -Fza that list all the system data.
Hi beny, thanks for your response. Yes, I think the hardware works but there is something interfering with the process that I don't know of. The perplexing thing is the audio seems to work (no straight out errors) and I get the sound after I suspend the laptop.

Here is the output from lsmod | grep snd

snd_hda_codec_via      20480  1
snd_hda_codec_generic    53248  1 snd_hda_codec_via
ledtrig_audio          12288  1 snd_hda_codec_generic
snd_hda_intel          32768  0
snd_intel_dspcfg       20480  1 snd_hda_intel
snd_hda_codec          81920  3 snd_hda_codec_generic,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec_via
snd_hda_core           45056  4 snd_hda_codec_generic,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_hda_codec_via
snd_hwdep              12288  1 snd_hda_codec
snd_pcm                69632  3 snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_hda_core
snd_timer              24576  1 snd_pcm
led_class              12288  4 snd_hda_codec_generic,input_leds,ath9k,asus_laptop
Here is the output for ls /dev/snd

by-path/  controlC0  hwC0D0  pcmC0D0c  pcmC0D0p  pcmC0D2p  timer
ls /dev/snd/by-path

pci-0000:00:1b.0@
I installed gstreamer but the sound still doesn't turn up. As for inxi, here is the output

Resuming in non X mode: xdpyinfo not found. For package install advice run: inxi --recommends
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core2 Duo T6570 (-MCP-) cache: 2048 KB 
           clock speeds: max: 2101 MHz 1: 1200 MHz 2: 1213 MHz
           CPU Flags: acpi aperfmperf apic arch_perfmon bts clflush cmov
           constant_tsc cpuid cx16 cx8 de ds_cpl dtes64 dtherm dts est
           flexpriority fpu fxsr ht ida lahf_lm lm mca mce mmx monitor msr
           mtrr nopl nx pae pat pbe pdcm pebs pge pni pse pse36 pti rep_good
           sep sse sse2 sse4_1 ssse3 syscall tm tm2 tpr_shadow tsc vme vmx
           vnmi vpid xsave xtpr
Audio:     Card Intel 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller
           driver: snd_hda_intel
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k5.18.8-porteus
Blaze wrote:
18 Jan 2023, 16:22
vray,

# All operations should be performed as root user!

# replace 000-kernel.xzm
# remove crippled_sources.xzm
# add 06-crippled_sources-NNN-XXbit.xzm
/path-to/porteus/base

# replace vmlinuz
/path-to/boot/syslinux

# reboot Porteus
Thanks for the instruction, Blaze,
Unfortunately there is still no sound although similar to the previous kernel, I'm able to get the sound after suspending the laptop and waking it up.
Ed_P wrote:
18 Jan 2023, 16:46
What other output device are you looking for? :%)
Hi, Ed_P.
It was a response to beny's suggestion that maybe I selected line out as the main output which is valid. So I checked pavucontrol and I discovered that there were only speaker and headphone.

Blaze
DEV Team
DEV Team

Porteus 5 No Sound

Post#11 by Blaze » 20 Jan 2023, 14:41

vray, well.
Try this fix

su
toor
echo "options snd-hda-intel model=auto, enable_msi=1" > /etc/modprobe.d/snd-hda-intel.conf
reboot
more info you can find is here https://docs.slackware.com/howtos:hardw ... -hda-intel

Testuser
Samurai
Samurai
Distribution: Porteus-v5.0-64-LXDE

Porteus 5 No Sound

Post#12 by Testuser » 21 Jan 2023, 17:19

beny wrote:
17 Jan 2023, 16:09
I am using LXDE, for me also sound was not working, the above steps fixed the issue, I was all way looking for driver errors.

Thanks much Beny. :hi: :good:

beny
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge

Porteus 5 No Sound

Post#13 by beny » 21 Jan 2023, 19:14

hi Testuser good that you have solved
vray inxi have to link something like this:

Audio:
  Device-1: AMD SBx00 Azalia vendor: ASRock driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel
    bus-ID: 00:14.2 chip-ID: 1002:4383 class-ID: 0403
  Device-2: NVIDIA GK107 HDMI Audio vendor: Micro-Star MSI
    driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel pcie: gen: 1 speed: 2.5 GT/s lanes: 16
    link-max: gen: 3 speed: 8 GT/s bus-ID: 01:00.1 chip-ID: 10de:0e1b
    class-ID: 0403
  Sound API: ALSA v: k6.1.5-beny running: yes
  Sound Server-1: JACK v: 1.9.21 running: no
  Sound Server-2: PulseAudio v: 16.1 running: yes
  Sound Server-3: PipeWire v: 0.3.64 running: no

vray
White ninja
White ninja

Porteus 5 No Sound

Post#14 by vray » 24 Jan 2023, 09:41

Blaze wrote:
20 Jan 2023, 14:41
vray, well.
Try this fix

su
toor
echo "options snd-hda-intel model=auto, enable_msi=1" > /etc/modprobe.d/snd-hda-intel.conf
reboot
more info you can find is here https://docs.slackware.com/howtos:hardw ... -hda-intel
beny wrote:
21 Jan 2023, 19:14
hi Testuser good that you have solved
vray inxi have to link something like this:

Audio:
  Device-1: AMD SBx00 Azalia vendor: ASRock driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel
    bus-ID: 00:14.2 chip-ID: 1002:4383 class-ID: 0403
  Device-2: NVIDIA GK107 HDMI Audio vendor: Micro-Star MSI
    driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel pcie: gen: 1 speed: 2.5 GT/s lanes: 16
    link-max: gen: 3 speed: 8 GT/s bus-ID: 01:00.1 chip-ID: 10de:0e1b
    class-ID: 0403
  Sound API: ALSA v: k6.1.5-beny running: yes
  Sound Server-1: JACK v: 1.9.21 running: no
  Sound Server-2: PulseAudio v: 16.1 running: yes
  Sound Server-3: PipeWire v: 0.3.64 running: no
Blaze and Beny,
Sorry for the late reply. The link above inspired me to look up audio problems on slackware and tried the proposed solutions but still no luck.
For the time being I'd go back to Porteus 4 until there are further updates.
Thanks for helping though, I appreciate that.

Rava
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: XFCE 5.01 x86_64 + 4.0 i586

Porteus 5 No Sound

Post#15 by Rava » 27 Jan 2023, 03:55

Hi all,

I set up my sound card to have its channels reversed. But with the newest update there was no sound. In older versions there was sound.

The reason in my case: I now have 2 sound outputs:
One being the one from the laptop, the one I want.
The other one being the crappy speakers of my external monitor that is connected via HDMI.

As first step I deactivated (muted) the speakers of the external monitor.

Then my system started without sound.

What is also needed is to set the sound Output Device I want as "Fallback" - when I activated that my usual sound again works:
The green highlighting above shows the fallback set with device "Headphones"
The red highlighting below shows the fallback not set with device "Remapped Build-in Audio Analog Stereo"
The 3rd device with the crappy quality, "HDA Nvidia Digital Stereo (HDMI 4)" is not visible in that screenshot.
Last edited by Rava on 28 Jan 2023, 19:43, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added colour highlighting
Cheers!
Yours Rava