Bluetooth and sound did not work

Here you can post about your various experiences with PC hardware. You can also post about hardware that is not compatible with the linux kernel or not recommended for use with Porteus.
beny
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge

Post#31 by beny » 07 Dec 2022, 21:21

Hi Ed_P you have to install inxi package from slackware 15

Blaze
DEV Team
DEV Team
Distribution: ⟰ Porteus current ☯ all DEs ☯

Post#32 by Blaze » 08 Dec 2022, 08:12

KingJames wrote:
07 Dec 2022, 03:43
Unfortunately
Hi KingJames.
Download :url: from here and copy these modules to porteus/modules folder.
Reboot and test sound, bluetooth and wifi.
Thanks.
Linux 6.6.11-porteus #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Sun Jan 14 12:07:37 MSK 2024 x86_64 Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1270 v6 @ 3.80GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
MS-7A12 » [AMD/ATI] Navi 23 [Radeon RX 6600] [1002:73ff] (rev c7) » Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 K2 3200MHz C16

KingJames
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: porteus5.0

Post#33 by KingJames » 17 Dec 2022, 05:28

Okay, I finally got wifi and bluetooth to work!!!

Wifi works now that I have updated my kernel with no additional drivers. Which is weird, cuz I thought we had tried that earlier.

Bluetooth works with either @babam's or @Blaze's drivers :) That's nice.
Either way I go, however, in order to activate bluetooth, I must go to the terminal and run "sudo sh /etc/rc.d/rc.bluetooth start" and use the settings to connect. I will probably create a startup script to do this automatically.

But sound is still acting up with either driver (@babam's or @Blaze's). I thought I had it, and it worked that first time I booted, but I have since realized that it only works under special circumstances. When I tried it, I just went to youtube and played the first video I came to, and it made sound, but I didn't check thoroughly. Apparently, I just got lucky, as it thought it was playing through headphones, but it was the speaker. I can still get it to play right after a boot occasionally, but as soon as I adjust anything (volume, switch from headphones to speaker, whatever) it doesn't work. And I can't get it to recognize my actual speakers. At least now it shows that I have sound available, and it shows a device available, headphones, but no speakers.
Last edited by KingJames on 20 Dec 2022, 23:54, edited 1 time in total.
Porteus 5.0. I'm still learning linux. I hate Big Tech spying on me and I like open source. I am really enjoying Porteus. I keep it on a thumb drive and I copy to ram in less time than it takes Windows on my hard drive to boot up.

ncmprhnsbl
DEV Team
DEV Team
Distribution: v5.0-64bit

Post#34 by ncmprhnsbl » 17 Dec 2022, 23:51

KingJames wrote:
17 Dec 2022, 05:28
Either way I go, however, in order to activate bluetooth, I must go to the terminal and run "sudo sh /etc/rc.d/rc.bluetooth start" and use the settings to connect. I will probably create a startup script to do this automatically.
add the cheatcode "bluetooth" to the APPEND line of your boot entry in <usb>/boot/syslinux/porteus.cfg
Forum Rules : https://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=44

KingJames
White ninja
White ninja

Post#35 by KingJames » 27 Dec 2022, 00:19

Thanks, @ncmprhnsbl! That fixed the bluetooth startup.
Porteus 5.0. I'm still learning linux. I hate Big Tech spying on me and I like open source. I am really enjoying Porteus. I keep it on a thumb drive and I copy to ram in less time than it takes Windows on my hard drive to boot up.

KingJames
White ninja
White ninja

Post#36 by KingJames » 04 Jan 2023, 17:02

I think perhaps that I should have simply made a new post rather than editing my previous post, but unfortunately sound still doesn't work correctly. I was wondering if anyone has another solution to try.

Blaze
DEV Team
DEV Team

Post#37 by Blaze » 05 Jan 2023, 10:48

HI KingJames.
Can you test your sound via update of :url: kernel 6.1.3
and boot up Porteus in Always Fresh Mode?
Linux 6.6.11-porteus #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Sun Jan 14 12:07:37 MSK 2024 x86_64 Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1270 v6 @ 3.80GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
MS-7A12 » [AMD/ATI] Navi 23 [Radeon RX 6600] [1002:73ff] (rev c7) » Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 K2 3200MHz C16

KingJames
White ninja
White ninja

Post#38 by KingJames » 09 Jan 2023, 19:10

No luck, same as before. In always fresh mode, no sound card is recognized at all. When booted via startx with @babam's driver, I get a faulty recognition of headphones.

Blaze
DEV Team
DEV Team

Post#39 by Blaze » 14 Jan 2023, 12:21

KingJames, thanks for testing.
I updated sof-firmware-2.2.4-x86_64-1bl (got this package from Arch Linux)
Can you try :url: kernel 6.2-rc3?

Thanks.

KingJames
White ninja
White ninja

Post#40 by KingJames » 18 Jan 2023, 15:28

No, that didn't work either. I don't understand it 🤷‍♂️ I hate to waste your time if my laptop isn't supported by the Porteus architecture (however that works 🤷‍♂️ I'm still a newbie). Every other distro I have tried (granted, they were mostly popular ones with wide hardware support) seems to support everything, I may just have to switch to another one till I upgrade my laptop 🤷‍♂️.
If you want to keep trying though, I'll keep trying too. I really like the whole Porteus concept and hate to ditch it (even temporarily).

Blaze
DEV Team
DEV Team

Post#41 by Blaze » 20 Jan 2023, 15:34

Hi KingJames.
Well, another solutions:

1) In Porteus try this tweak

Code: Select all

su
toor
echo 'options snd-intel-dspcfg dsp_driver=1' > /etc/modprobe.d/dspfix.conf
reboot
if it does not help you can try these options:

su
toor
echo 'options snd-hda-intel enable_msi=1
options snd-intel-dspcfg dsp_driver=1
blacklist snd_sok_skl' > /etc/modprobe.d/dspfix.conf
reboot
and not bad if you share this log

lsmod |grep snd
cat /proc/asound/card*/codec* | grep Codec
dmesg -T | grep audio -i
dmesg | grep -iE 'snd|sof'
and if no luck

su
toor
modprobe -r snd-sof-pci-intel-tgl; modprobe snd-sof-pci-intel-tgl
test sound.

2) As experiment you can try to boot up Nemesis viewtopic.php?f=137&t=10269
and install Sound Open Firmware via terminal

su
toor
setup-pman
pacman -Syu
pacman -S sof-firmware sof-tools
reboot
test sound.

if sound does not work open terminal and run

su
toor
modprobe -r snd-sof-pci-intel-tgl; modprobe snd-sof-pci-intel-tgl
if sound does not work open terminal and run

su
toor
echo "options snd-intel-dspcfg dsp_driver=1" > /etc/modprobe.d/dspfix.conf
reboot
Отправлено спустя 1 день 18 часов 35 минут 28 секунд:
And not bad if you update kernel to 6.2-RC5 in Porteus 5.0 Porteus Kernel Builder (Пост Blaze #92604)

KingJames
White ninja
White ninja

Post#42 by KingJames » 02 Mar 2023, 17:18

Hey all!

Sorry it has taken me so long to respond! It has been an extremely difficult and busy quarter of school.

Thanks so much for all y'all's help!!! I finally got sound, wifi, and bluetooth to work!!!

To recap for future reference:

I have an Acer Aspire 5 A517-52-350V. I put Porteus on a fat32 USB 3.2 gen1 drive and popped it in. Out of the box neither sound, wifi, nor bluetooth worked. However, after some trial and error, and a lot of help from the linux warriors in this forum, I now have a fully functional and portable linux daily driver :)

Wifi:
At first, I copied all the iwlwifi-QuZ files (none of the folders) from a different linux distro (MX Linux) (This was suggested in a different thread, but I can't find it) and created a .xzm module to put the files into /lib/firmware/ on startup. This fixed the problem of wifi. However, in the course of this thread, I updated my kernel to 6.1 (And later to 6.2 rc3, thanks to @Blaze in his post of 06 Dec 2022, 11:12 in this thread) and this ended up fixing wifi anyway, so I removed my custom .xzm module.

Bluetooth:
Although bluetooth isn't a dealbreaker for me, it is nice to have, so I finally got it to work with @blaze's Intel driver from his post of 06 Dec 2022, 21:43 in this thread. I also appended my boot cheatcode with "bluetooth" which automatically starts bluetooth on boot. Thanks to @ncmprhnsbl.

Sound:
This was the hardest one to get to work. Being at school, audio capability is a must, so I have been forced to revert to Windows or another linux distro (but this is the only one I have tryed that can boot quickly enough not to cause problems, like say, at the beginning of class). After many failed driver additions, it turned out to be a relatively simple command. I ran the first suggestion in @blaze's post immediately above this:
After su to root,

echo 'options snd-intel-dspcfg dsp_driver=1' > /etc/modprobe.d/dspfix.conf
Then I saved my porteus session to a module (to save all changes) and rebooted. And voila! Not only do my speakers work, but the audio jack does too!

Thanks again for the advise and time you've put into this thread. Apologies for my limited linux knowledge; I've learned a lot even just through this process!