Wicd and hidden password

New features which should be implemented in Porteus; suggestions are welcome. All questions or problems with testing releases (alpha, beta, or rc) should go in their relevant thread here, rather than the Bug Reports section.
brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Re: Wicd and hidden password

Post#16 by brokenman » 06 Feb 2012, 13:22

Thanks will check it out.

(git pun intended) :ROFL:

Posted after 7 minutes 1 second:
Ok i see now. networkmanagement is a wrapper for the gnome project Network Manager.

From the Alien Pastures:

Code: Select all

Since KDE 4.7.2, I include a “test” directory. This directory contains Networkmanager, plus some other dependencies, that allow to create a KDE package for “networkmanagement” which is an applet plus a kcontrol (i.e. a plugin for KDE’s systemsettings).
Damn ... this mean (for 32bit) it will not be available for Trinity.

Posted after 2 minutes 44 seconds:
Here is an interesting wicd plasmoid thingy for KDE4 users.

https://projects.kde.org/projects/extra ... k/wicd-kde
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

wread
Module Guard
Module Guard
Distribution: Porteus v5.0-kde-64 bits

Post#17 by wread » 06 Feb 2012, 16:08

@brokenman
I will first try networkmanagement in KDE4; maybe it works for Trinity OTB, too. I will report it back to you the next 2 or 3 days. Last Christmas Holidays I couldn't match Android Barnacle WiFi Tether with Porteus wicd, so I had to connect using XP........

BTW, where can I get the current Trinity sources? I would like to recompile kdelibs with Zeroconf capability. I did so for KDE4-32-bits already (it is posted under Development) and it is working ok.

Regards!:beer:
Porteus is proud of the FASTEST KDE ever made.....(take akonadi, nepomuk and soprano out and you will have a decent OS).
The Porteus Community never sleeps!

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#18 by brokenman » 07 Feb 2012, 01:13

Check the trinity webiste (or humandreadable) for source packages. They are current developing v3.5.13 which you can checkout with git. I will release the latest testing version shortly which i would advise waiting for. I have compiled in zeroconf support for this next release.

Jay

wread
Module Guard
Module Guard

Post#19 by wread » 08 Feb 2012, 12:56

Wunderbar, Jay!

Regards!
Porteus is proud of the FASTEST KDE ever made.....(take akonadi, nepomuk and soprano out and you will have a decent OS).

maverick
White ninja
White ninja

Post#20 by maverick » 08 Feb 2012, 16:43

On a related note, would it be possible to have a "mini" interface for wicd when the full window is not needed? I often log in in Always Fresh mode and find it a pain to open wicd, select my network, click properties, type the password, click OK, click connect, and close the window. Too many clicks in there! Something like this would be ideal http://www.dedoimedo.com/images/compute ... reless.jpg where you could simply click on the wicd icon, choose the network, and if it is password protected, you are automatically prompted for a password, which you type, hit enter, and you're in! You could also implement the hidden password in there.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#21 by brokenman » 09 Feb 2012, 16:07

On a related note, would it be possible to have a "mini" interface for wicd when the full window is not needed? I often log in in Always Fresh mode and find it a pain to open wicd, select my network, click properties, type the password, click OK, click connect, and close the window. Too many clicks in there!
I only use fresh mode. To avoid having to enter the password each time simply (connect with wicd and set it up how you like it) run 'magic folders' on /etc/wicd and it will keep your wicd password and connect automatically when you boot.

BTW: I have just installed wicd v1.1 which has the open to keep the password as 'dots' instead of visible. One small and thin layer of security.

maverick
White ninja
White ninja

Post#22 by maverick » 09 Feb 2012, 18:21

Thanks brokenman, that does help. Do you know if the magic folders are encrypted by any chance? Also it would still be nice to have an interface like the one I proposed anyway, I really don't think it makes sense to keep the process as complicated as it is right now, whether using always fresh mode or new public networks.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#23 by brokenman » 09 Feb 2012, 23:32

No they are not encrypted ... hence the very small and thin layer of security comment i made. The next version of Porteus will have the option to encrypt a save.dat container which will help a little more.

wread
Module Guard
Module Guard

Post#24 by wread » 10 Feb 2012, 22:53

@maverick
I don't have to open wicd to connect everytime to internet. I made all the necessary settings only once; then copied the /etc/wicd to /rootcopy/etc/wicd.

So the next boot I have only to right-click the network icon in the panel, it pops up and I put the cursor over "connect", it then says "scanning....", after a couple of seconds it gives me the list of discovered wireless devices, where I can select the one Idesire.

Inspecting the files in /rootcopy/etc/wicd you can copy, paste and edit for various wireles modems, etc. Try it, it is very fast and convenient.

Regards!

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Post#25 by fanthom » 10 Feb 2012, 23:33

@maverick, wread
wicd supports autoconnection. i dont need to click anything on my laptop to get connected after boot.
just copy 2 folders to /rootcopy (or create module):
/etc/wicd
/var/lib/wicd
and you are set.

obviously there will be more clicks if you want to jump between networks.

btw: screen posted by maverick comes from "Network Manager" which brings some concerns in relation to live distro OS.
check my previous posting from this thread.
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.