Porteus Package Manager bug reports

New features which should be implemented in Porteus; suggestions are welcome. All questions or problems with testing releases (alpha, beta, or rc) should go in their relevant thread here, rather than the Bug Reports section.
brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Re: Porteus Package Manager bug reports

Post#31 by brokenman » 11 Feb 2013, 11:53

I have unpacked the reset module present at /opt/ppm to root filesystem
This should be done through the menu (reset to default). The ppmdefault.xzm is essentially just a copy of the important files from the original PPM that ships with the release. It just replaces the LIBS.TXT, PACKAGES.TXT, ppmversion, and the config files in /etc/ppm.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

Hamza
Warlord
Warlord
Distribution: Porteus

Post#32 by Hamza » 11 Feb 2013, 16:25

I was unable to restart PPM. This was my only solution.
NjVFQzY2Rg==

nassausky
Black ninja
Black ninja
Distribution: Porteus v2.0 rc2 i486

Post#33 by nassausky » 14 Feb 2013, 19:55

Hi,

The first run of Porteus Package Manager it asks where to store the modules outside the union file system. So I chose a subfolder I created in /tmp called md (So the full path was /tmp/md) and it gave an error saying 'This folder is either on the union file system or was found to be unwritable." So I scratched my head and said this can't be true. So I just selected the same location again and it worked. I was wondering if this was a bug because I did this many times and it always doesn't work the first time. I tried this on Porteus 1.2 Live 32bit CD & Porteus 2.0 RC2 Live 32bit CD with both window managers.

Thanks,

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Post#34 by fanthom » 15 Feb 2013, 07:57

PPM welcome screen may be confusing for people who are not aware how porteus is constructed. another problem is that one would expect that all modules downloaded through PPM would be activated during next boot.

@Jay
here is my proposition to resolve both problems with rewriting PPM welcome part a bit and additional info messages:

1) if /porteus/modules is writable then default to it (do not ask for custom folder path) and show a message that: "all modules downloaded through PPM will be stored in /mnt/sdXY/porteus/modules and activated automatically during next boot." additionally we could add this part (dont want to make things too complicated at the begining): "this location can be changed in PPM preferences but in order to get modules activated an 'extramod=' cheatcode must be used. please refer to /boot/docs/cheatcodes.txt for more info about usage of 'extramod=' cheat'"
(/porteus/modules was designed as storage folder and should be changed only if there is no space for extra modules in it or is not writable)

2) if /porteus/modules is not writable (booting from CCD/over network) then ask users for choosing external storage folder:
a) if user choose real fs somewhere in /mnt/sdXY then display a message: "all modules downloaded through PPM will be stored in /mnt/sdXY/path_to/folder. in order to get them loaded automatically during boot please add 'extramod=/mnt/sdXY/path_to/folder' cheatcode to your bootloader config or move them manually to /mnt/sdXY/porteus/modules."

b) if user choose real fs outside of /mnt/sdXY (is saving changes) then display a message: "all modules downloaded through PPM will be stored in '/path_to/user_choice'. in order to get them loaded automatically during boot please move them manually to /mnt/sdXY/porteus/modules."
(we cant use 'extramod=' in this case)

c) if user choose aufs then display a message "all modules downloaded through PPM will be stored in '/path_to/user_choice' but wont persist the reboot as '/path_to/user_choice' is located on a virtual filesystem. please move them manually to /mnt/sdXY/porteus/modules when you finish working with PPM"

what do you think?
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

francois
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: xfce plank porteus nemesis
Location: Le printemps, le printemps, le printemps... ... l'hiver s'essoufle.

Post#35 by francois » 08 Mar 2013, 23:07

I am trying to use the merge module tool merge module option. I am not able to put any modules in the storage module window. Is this normal?
Last edited by francois on 09 Mar 2013, 07:41, edited 1 time in total.
Prendre son temps, profiter de celui qui passe.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#36 by brokenman » 09 Mar 2013, 01:27

The 'storage modules' window shows a list of the modules in the module storage folder. In the latest version the 'module storage' folder will default to the 'modules' folder if it is writable. Since PPM only supports modules it created it will only list modules already existing in this folder. Download or create some modules and put them in the storage module folder shown in /etc/ppm/porteus.conf and try again.

Please give some feedback if you think it could be done in a more efficient way.

francois
Contributor
Contributor

Post#37 by francois » 09 Mar 2013, 07:42

Thanks for the info. :D

Hamza
Warlord
Warlord

Post#38 by Hamza » 14 Mar 2013, 11:03

In bug report feature. When you accept the bug report to be generated, you have a window where you can view the famous bug report and I have a seen a typo in output file. Just after "STORAGE", you should have "MODULES IN STORAGE" but we have "MODULES IS STORAGE" instead. Replace IS by IN.

Also, when updating modules. It searches and find some updates. You accept but at end of downloads, if the module is still used, it continue to the activation process of the update which may cause some crashs.

Another one, when running PPM without slackbuilds database, it displays the Slackbuild button. I would prefer to make this button not usable or display a message like "You should sync your Slackbuilds database before being able to use this feature".

Another one, when syncing slackbuilds database, it downloads each file manually that may cause an high resource usage on both part.
USER) You are downloading file per file which may increase CPU load and increase the total size of download data.
SERVER) You are attempting to downloads many files which are also available into an archive (tar.gz). You increase Disk I/O and bandwidth by download more data. Using archive option should reduce I/O problems and reduce bandwidth usage.

The advantage of this process (on rsync) is that when only one file is updated, only this file is downloaded.

There is another 'bug'. When you want to deactivate a module. You have a window like this one.
I have 64 modules activated and I don't see any modules on that window. Is it normal?

On the same image, you have also a typo at "of they" should "if they"

Thanks!
NjVFQzY2Rg==

Hamza
Warlord
Warlord

Post#39 by Hamza » 15 Mar 2013, 15:58

I have also noticed that when I'm updating software with Porteus Package Manager, I couldn't make the software working good. As example, I have tried to update FileZilla. It has been successfully updated but PPM wasn't able to resolve new dependencies including in the update.
NjVFQzY2Rg==

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#40 by brokenman » 17 Mar 2013, 03:39

Thanks Hamza, i will put these on my TODO list.

francois
Contributor
Contributor

Post#41 by francois » 09 Aug 2013, 13:34

I might be at the wrong place. This is not a bug, but rather some request to correct an anomaly in the google chrome package.

1.0 We already have the package google chrome, could it appear in PPM?
-32 bit:
http://dl.porteus.org/i486/current/modules/
-64 bit:
http://dl.porteus.org/x86_64/current/modules/

2.0 As is, chrome will function only in guest mode. A small fix is available to get chrome functioning also for root:
http://productforums.google.com/forum/# ... t-CUBr569s

All you need to do is to modify the last line (line 42) of the file /usr/bin/google-chrome:

Code: Select all

exec -a "$0" "$HERE/chrome"  "$@" 
to:

exec -a "$0" "$HERE/chrome"  "$@" --user-data-dir

neko
DEV Team
DEV Team
Distribution: APorteus-FVWM-ja-x86_64.iso

Post#42 by neko » 28 Aug 2013, 00:08

1. There is a duplicated item in help message.

line 99:"_ Unpack a module"
line 169:"_ Unpack a module"

of /opt/ppm/docs/ppmhelp.index

of Porteus-LXDE-v2.1-i486.iso.

2. Multi-languages version porteus-package-manager
was uploaded.

@brokenman.
Please refer the "32bit Porteus v2.0 + FVWM.." of "Community effort".

Rava
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: XFCE 5.01 x86_64 + 4.0 i586

Post#43 by Rava » 28 Aug 2013, 06:56

from another thread... fanthom told me this:
fanthom wrote:pygtk usually needs other deps resolved. please make sure you have:

python,pycairo,pygobject,pygtk
some other deps may also be missing so please read the output message carefully.
When I use PPM to solve the dependencies, this is what it tells me for python:

db44-4.4.20-x86_64-3.xzm
python-2.7.3-x86_64-2.xzm
tcl-8.5.11-x86_64-1.xzm
tk-8.5.11-x86_64-1.xzm
And this for pygtk:

pygtk-2.24.0-x86_64-1.xzm
So, it seems, there is some fixing needed so that PPM knows about pycairo,pygobject (and python) for pygtk as well...

My version: Port 2.1 x86-66 (finale version)
Version of PPM: "2. July 2013."
Updating PPM told me I have "the most recent versions of all PPM items..."
Cheers!
Yours Rava

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Post#44 by fanthom » 28 Aug 2013, 08:43

to resolve this issue we need additional feature in PPM called 'resolve non binary deps of non binary deps' which i requested some time ago. once brokenman implements it i'll fix my database:
http://ponce.cc/porteus/x86_64/testing/EXTRA-DEPS.txt

and will be enough to put there:

#  gmountman
python,pygtk

#  gonvert
python,pygtk

#  pygtk
pycairo,pygobject
for now i have to add full deps list to each package:

#  gmountman
python,pycairo,pygobject,pygtk

#  gonvert
python,pycairo,pygtk,pygobject
@brokenman
please implement this once you find some free time.

thanks
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

Rava
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: XFCE 5.01 x86_64 + 4.0 i586

Post#45 by Rava » 28 Aug 2013, 09:18

fanthom wrote:@brokenman
please implement this once you find some free time.
I heard of that idea to solve deps issues for, what, 1 1/2 years back already... I hoped it was implemented already.

Anyhow, another issue:

qt-4.8.4 is listed as "razor- razor-qt (light weight desktop env..." in the list of the Porteus modules, when you click on full description or double click it, you get the real info:

Qt (a multi-platform C++ graphical user interface toolkit)
Qt is a complete and well-developed object-oriented framework for
developing graphical user interface (GUI) applications using C++.
(The same as in my local PACKAGES.TXT)
Cheers!
Yours Rava