Reasons on Porteus using xzm instead of Slackware txz?

New features which should be implemented in Porteus; suggestions are welcome. All questions or problems with testing releases (alpha, beta, or rc) should go in their relevant thread here, rather than the Bug Reports section.
xenos
Black ninja
Black ninja
Distribution: Porteus

Post#1 by xenos » 02 Nov 2018, 07:59

Hi Porteus developers,

I am curious, why Porteus doesn't use txz, the default packaging format of Slackware? Mind to share reasons on why we end up with xzm?

ncmprhnsbl
DEV Team
DEV Team
Distribution: v5.0-64bit

Post#2 by ncmprhnsbl » 02 Nov 2018, 09:10

this was my answer to "why is it called a module", there is some relevence here..
my take on it is: module alludes to the modular nature of the frugal installed, loop mounted, layered, live filesystem.. :)
.xzm = xz compressed module , which is a package or packages are installed to a fakeroot and xz compressed using squashfs.
in slax they're called software bundles(.sb) and puppy, the standard .sfs (squash file system?)
any amount of configuration can be added and things can removed(binarys,libs,headers,locales,man etc) in the process..
so.. we do use slackware packaging format within xzm modules(squashfs) (which may also contain multiple packages and additional configs)
why? so we can have a frugal installed(compressed), loop mounted, layered(AUFS), live filesystem.(small and fast)
sure, you can(if using the changes cheatcode in a POSIX(eg ext) partition) just install packages into that uncompressed directory..(which is then layered on with AUFS)(with modules(save.dat is also a module by another name) you're not restricted to POSIX filesystems)
but then i start to think why not just use a full slackware(or whatever) install?
Forum Rules : https://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=44

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#3 by brokenman » 02 Nov 2018, 13:40

Good answer
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.