Porteus Shell Script Repo?

New features which should be implemented in Porteus; suggestions are welcome. All questions or problems with testing releases (alpha, beta, or rc) should go in their relevant thread here, rather than the Bug Reports section.
apollo
Black ninja
Black ninja
Distribution: 4.0 XFCE, Manjaro

Post#1 by apollo » 08 Sep 2018, 06:44

Hi,

there are plenty of usefull (shell) scripts for porteus flying around in the forums, spread over hundreds of threads and postings.
Sometimes a script evolves over multiple iterations through out a discussion, making it difficult to find the right/latest version.

Is there something like a central porteus script repo, where one could easily find usefull scripts and - if required - can contribute to them?

If not, is anyone interested in something like this?
We may need to talk about the "licencing" of a script, so anyone who contributes should agree that their contribution is published under a specific licence.

kind regards
apollo

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#2 by brokenman » 08 Sep 2018, 10:12

I am definitely behind this initiative. Let's do it.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

apollo
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#3 by apollo » 08 Sep 2018, 12:27

Any preferences on where to host this repo?
I would actually prefer a source hoster like GitLab, having a versioning system behind may be usefull. ;)

ncmprhnsbl
DEV Team
DEV Team
Distribution: v5.0-64bit

Post#4 by ncmprhnsbl » 09 Sep 2018, 00:28

apollo wrote:
08 Sep 2018, 12:27
I would actually prefer a source hoster like GitLab, having a versioning system behind may be usefull
+1
Forum Rules : https://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=44

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Post#5 by Ed_P » 09 Sep 2018, 05:11

apollo wrote:
08 Sep 2018, 12:27
Any preferences on where to host this repo?
What's wrong with a Porteus site like: http://dl.porteus.org/x86_64/Porteus-v4.0/
Ed

apollo
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#6 by apollo » 09 Sep 2018, 11:39

Nothing wrong, but i thought of the repo in a more colaborative way. Not having a single person (or maybe 2) doing all the work of keeping the repo up to date. Everyone who likes to should be able to contribute his own scripts or send improvements of existing scripts.

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Post#7 by Ed_P » 09 Sep 2018, 17:45

But without some control scripts will be scattered, maybe poorly named. A posting in the forum will be needed to connect users to the scripts. Actually a posting pointing users to scripts creators upload to wherever is convenient for them is all that is needed. It doesn't have to be gitlab. And if the scripts aren't very long they could just be posted in the forum.

Or maybe I'm missing something. :Search:
Ed

apollo
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#8 by apollo » 09 Sep 2018, 18:07

Sure it doesn´t have to be gitlab, it was just a thing i´m familiar with. ;)

I agree that there has to be something like a "supervisor", looking for script naming, maybe comments and where should it be placed. My "vision" is, that the community is the "control", not a single person. Single persons from time to time tend to have other priorities then to keep a repo clean. This is the point where a colaborative platform could come in handy.

As of now, scripts are everywhere in the forums, sometimes (quite often in my feeling) a really usefull script is burried in a 5 pages long discussion in a thread thats named anything, but not what you might expect.

A specific sub categorie in the forum like we do with the modules/modules requests might be sufficient way. My experience here in the forums is, that frequently required scripts get feedback/discussion, which may lead to changes being made - from my point of view another pro for a colaborative platform like gitlab (or any other).
Keep the discussion away from the code itself or we end up in browsing multiple pages of a thread to find the latest script version.

Long story short:
My feeling is, that a colaborative platform focused on code is a better way then the - on first glance - simple solutions.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#9 by brokenman » 09 Sep 2018, 22:09

My "vision" is, that the community is the "control", not a single person.
I've been doing this for quite a few years now. I have experience with this and also I run three other companies in the real world. I can tell you that we have already tried this model. It simply doesn't work. Without an overseer things get messy, people come and go and things generally break down. It may take years, but it is inevitable. I'm all for creating a script repo wherein everybody contributes, but there needs to be a gatekeeper. Human nature and all that.

I've also tried the complicated versioning systems and I can say that for a simple script repository they don't work. Without someone maintaining the database it will fall apart. Consider this:

I am looking for a script that tells me the temperature of my processors. I go to the script repository which contains 400 scripts. How do I find what I need and more importantly how can I know exactly what it does before I run it on my system without going through the code?
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

nanZor
Shogun
Shogun
Distribution: Porteus 5.01 x86-64 LXQT

Post#10 by nanZor » 18 Apr 2019, 23:51

I would LOVE to see something like a script repository with supervision / version control etc..

I'm an amateur shell scripter, but not good enough to spot obfuscated code with security issues, nor versioning details like trying to run a script from a thread in 2011 here that might do unforeseen damage.

The supervision doesn't even have to be a single person, but some sort of group control at least. I'm not good enough to trust drive-by scripts, and if I was, ironically I wouldn't need the repository in the first place.
That's a UNIX book - cool. -Garth