Hi, Thanks for a very good open and free OS iso. (JRE?)

New features which should be implemented in Porteus; suggestions are welcome. All questions or problems with testing releases (alpha, beta, or rc) should go in their relevant thread here, rather than the Bug Reports section.
oceanhomie
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: live-isos-only

Post#1 by oceanhomie » 25 Feb 2018, 19:19

I am working on two ( or more like three or four ) related integrated and inseparable development projects in a Program that is to last for many many hours
and possibly involve a lot of people around our globe on low or non existing budgets.
I've come to realize that none of the tools available out here and there are suitable for such projects.

I am thus looking into assembling my own Linux live USB Distro.
To save a lot of time I will base it on existing and nicely working disc images.
So far I have only found one or two that might work.

Porteus does a good job out of making an inexperienced_user appealing OS.

I will however need java run_time to work since it seems
most of the quality project management and concept mapping tools are written in Java.

Question: Are there any other distros out there that are based on Porteus philosophy but with Java runtime enabled?

fulalas
DEV Team
DEV Team
Distribution: Porteus

Post#2 by fulalas » 25 Feb 2018, 20:43

You can try to download the RPM and convert it to a xzm module, then put it inside USB sick/porteus/modules: https://java.com/en/download/linux_manual.jsp

alienbob
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: Slackware

Post#3 by alienbob » 01 Mar 2018, 21:29

Or you download a Slackware "openjre" package matching the architecture (32bit or 64bit) and the Slackware release matching the Porteus release, and convert that to a xzm module: http://www.slackware.com/~alien/slackbuilds/openjdk/
At least you'll be running code that was compiled natively on Slackware instead of relying on closed binaries released by Oracle.